2012 MGH 1205 Brick from Puerhshop

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 4th, '13, 15:12
TeawareArtisan Member

2012 MGH 1205 Brick from Puerhshop

by FiveStar » Jan 4th, '13, 15:12

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=1554

I've read a few positive things about this brick here, as well as the one review that is up on their site, so I pulled the trigger on a brick with a recent sample order I made. I'm totally new to Pu, and wanted to try a super young sheng with lots of Qi just to see how they taste, but have plenty to play with to really learn and understand one particular tea (and on the cheap!)

My question is, why is this considered a "One brew" tea on their website? It seems to me that breaking off a hunk of this would be no different than a bing, so why not treat it like any other pu-erh and brew it gong-fu style? That's what I plan on doing with it anyways....

Also, anyone tried this brick? Love or hate?

Jan 4th, '13, 18:20
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 2012 MGH 1205 Brick from Puerhshop

by Drax » Jan 4th, '13, 18:20

I haven't had this brick, but had the same type from previous years. I think it is good for the price. It will be quite young and strong.

I also think that the "one-brew" does not mean one steep, but one session (with the pieces being 'easily' broken into 8g chunks). You can most certainly brew this tea multiple times (I would say in the 100-160mL range, depending on how strong you like your tea).

Jan 5th, '13, 06:05

by ChengduCha » Jan 5th, '13, 06:05

I think for the money you should not expect too much and it all reads like a cheesy marketing text.

Vintage 2012? Seriously? :D

Jan 5th, '13, 07:48

by Drax » Jan 5th, '13, 07:48

We've have plenty of discussions about the Puerhshop's descriptions of tea.

This question was about the tea, not the description (well, other than the goofy 'one brew' thing).

Jan 5th, '13, 09:11

by Tofsla » Jan 5th, '13, 09:11

I have had a sample of this tea few months ago and rather liked its strength. It has typical Menghai flavors, with hints of tobacco and a slight bitterness. Altogether, the taste is rather pleasant, though, nothing fancy. Being purely plantation tea, it does not have that annoying throat-drying effect that often comes with plantation teas. As for its energy, I nearly had a caffeine rush (but didn't in the end - so, I rather liked it).

I cannot tell, what it is going to be in 5 years, but right now, it would be a great tea for the days when one needs to wake up quickly and completely.

As for Jim's style of descriptions - I, personally, find it rather charmingly funny, and just take it with a grain of salt, as any other vendors' description.
Last edited by Tofsla on Jan 5th, '13, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 5th, '13, 15:46
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Jan 5th, '13, 15:46

Thanks for the replies everyone! My teas and samples arrived today, so I will be able to post my own opinion soon.

Starting the sampling with a 2005 Changtai Bulang something something. First infusion was quite nice! Light, but nice. Going in for #2 now.....

Jan 25th, '13, 07:50
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Jan 25th, '13, 07:50

Just now trying this. I really like it actually, aside from having to get used to brewing the little "Chocolate bar" chunk that comes off the larger brick. I started with a 15 second rinse to try and wake things up, and was left with a slightly moistened brick.

So I ended up just doing 30 sec. infusions with boiling water right out of the gate, since prying the thing apart wasn't happening.

They're building in strength now, but the brick still isn't fully unfurled! On #5 now! Some bitterness, but not nearly as much as other young shengs I've tried, even those older than this from Bulang. The soup has a good bit of smoke to it, but more like bacon than tobacco early on. Now it's a bit more tobaccey, but has a nice sweet melon/stonefruit in the finish and aftertaste.

Quite a bargain! now I just have to get the brewing figured out. Maybe this would work well in a nice large cup, brewed Grandpa-style?

Jan 25th, '13, 10:55

by Teaism » Jan 25th, '13, 10:55

"One brew" tea
This is the first time I heard of one brew tea! :?:

It is good to be a bit more careful on this, my friend. :wink:

Jan 25th, '13, 11:16

by Drax » Jan 25th, '13, 11:16

Drax wrote:I also think that the "one-brew" does not mean one steep, but one session (with the pieces being 'easily' broken into 8g chunks). You can most certainly brew this tea multiple times (I would say in the 100-160mL range, depending on how strong you like your tea).
In any case, thanks for the update, FiveStar! I do recall the other bricks having a high compression -- you can sometimes combat the problem by doing the first steep for about a minute, and then letting the leaves rest for a few minutes.

But absent of that, it may indeed make for good grandpa-style drinking...

+ Post Reply