Experiments in aging - Breaking up a cake

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 6th, '13, 07:45

Experiments in aging - Breaking up a cake

by ChengduCha » Jan 6th, '13, 07:45

I broke up a cake of dry stored sheng about half a year ago, which literary was gut wrenching strong, to see if I could make it age faster and mellow it out a bit.

I broke it up into larger chunks and put it into an open zip lock bag ad stored it in a cupboard at the beginning of the very humid summer.

When I had a look at it today I was quite surprised that it showed considerably aging both in the appearance of the chunks, color of the liquor and taste.

The cake, even though it was almost 10 years old, was quite green when I bought it due to dry storage. It has browned a lot, the original floral taste has turned into a malty taste and the liquor looks like a light shu color. While the taste currently lacks a bit depth, both the strength has mellowed and the cha qui has improved.

Jan 7th, '13, 20:07
Vendor Member

Re: Experiments in aging - Breaking up a cake

by TwoDog2 » Jan 7th, '13, 20:07

ChengduCha wrote:I broke up a cake of dry stored sheng about half a year ago, which literary was gut wrenching strong, to see if I could make it age faster and mellow it out a bit.

I broke it up into larger chunks and put it into an open zip lock bag ad stored it in a cupboard at the beginning of the very humid summer.

When I had a look at it today I was quite surprised that it showed considerably aging both in the appearance of the chunks, color of the liquor and taste.

The cake, even though it was almost 10 years old, was quite green when I bought it due to dry storage. It has browned a lot, the original floral taste has turned into a malty taste and the liquor looks like a light shu color. While the taste currently lacks a bit depth, both the strength has mellowed and the cha qui has improved.
I'd like to see pics of the before/after, if you took them. Was the platic breathable or sealed? How large was the chunk?

Jan 8th, '13, 09:42

by ChengduCha » Jan 8th, '13, 09:42

TwoDog2 wrote:
I'd like to see pics of the before/after, if you took them. Was the platic breathable or sealed? How large was the chunk?
I don't think I took any pictures before I broke it up, but if I find any I'll post them here.

The zip lock bag was open and the chunks were about 10-20g.

Jan 8th, '13, 21:54
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Jan 8th, '13, 21:54

ChengduCha wrote:
I don't think I took any pictures before I broke it up, but if I find any I'll post them here.

The zip lock bag was open and the chunks were about 10-20g.
I have had similar experiences pulling apart cakes and putting them in separate places, the looser teas turn dark faster, to the point they are not recognizable as the same cake.

I will start a few experiments like this, just to compare - I think it's a fun idea

Jan 9th, '13, 21:10

by bagua7 » Jan 9th, '13, 21:10

ChengduCha wrote:I broke it up into larger chunks and put it into an open zip lock bag ad stored it in a cupboard at the beginning of the very humid summer.
Why didn't you use paper/butcher's paper instead? I wouldn't use plastic myself for medium or long term storage.

Jan 9th, '13, 21:53

by ChengduCha » Jan 9th, '13, 21:53

bagua7 wrote:
ChengduCha wrote:I broke it up into larger chunks and put it into an open zip lock bag ad stored it in a cupboard at the beginning of the very humid summer.
Why didn't you use paper/butcher's paper instead? I wouldn't use plastic myself for medium or long term storage.
I didn't have any on hand. Paper bags are not commonly used in China.

+ Post Reply