How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Jan 10th, '13, 23:15
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Chip » Jan 10th, '13, 23:15

GARCH wrote:
Alex wrote:Lovely looking pot

Do the holes of the filter meet the pot wall on the underside of the filter?
Thank you! I can't have a direct view of the underside but from what I feel with my fingers, yes they do meet the pot wall. Does it affect the function if they do/don't?
Yes, in a big way. See the kyusu I just posted in this topic here: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 65#p234036

This screen, instead of facilitating a complete pour like it should, acts like a dam holding the last 10 ml in the kyusu ... not good!!! In fact horrendously bad. That water can continue to steep the leaves throwing off the taste of successive steeps. You want a complete pour ... down to the last drop.

Sort of a textbook on how not to attach a Kyusu screen. :roll: :evil: :shock:

When the holes run flush with at least part of the body of the pot, you are best apt to be able to pour all the brew out ... as you should be able to do.

Jan 10th, '13, 23:40

by GARCH » Jan 10th, '13, 23:40

Chip wrote: This screen, instead of facilitating a complete pour like it should, acts like a dam holding the last 10 ml in the kyusu ... not good!!! In fact horrendously bad. That water can continue to steep the leaves throwing off the taste of successive steeps. You want a complete pour ... down to the last drop.

Sort of a textbook on how not to attach a Kyusu screen. :roll: :evil: :shock:

When the holes run flush with at least part of the body of the pot, you are best apt to be able to pour all the brew out ... as you should be able to do.
Oh! Thanks for the lesson Chip! :D Well I'm not too sure whether my pot can pour well or not, have not tried brewing with it yet. The top part of the filter is not really flush with the pot as can be seen in the pic but the sides and bottom seems fine to me.

Love that Shigaraki pot of yours btw! Hopefully Hojo will bring in more :D

Jan 10th, '13, 23:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 10th, '13, 23:55

You can test it with water if you feel so inclined ...

Jan 11th, '13, 01:16

by Alex » Jan 11th, '13, 01:16

Its usually only one part of the filter that meets the pot wall.

Here's one meeting the pot wall at the top

Jan 12th, '13, 04:38

by David R. » Jan 12th, '13, 04:38

AdamMY wrote:Not that I need another one!
I didn't ! :D Nevertheless, it may be my first but maybe not my last kyusu from Yamada So... This one is giving me so much pleasure. It has a great "traditional japanese feel" and an incredible craftmanship. It is too early to talk about the quality of the clay, but so far, no unpleasant surprises in this area.

I really thank lionel for making me discover this artist and showing me some of his kyusu first-hand.
Attachments
17.JPG
17.JPG (21.46 KiB) Viewed 1663 times

Jan 12th, '13, 12:15

by Lionel » Jan 12th, '13, 12:15

I really thank lionel for making me discover this artist and showing me some of his kyusu first-hand.

>> You are welcome my friend ! Now that you have tasted the shudei kyusu, no doubt one day you 'll come to "her sister" the wood fired "Yakishime", with a nice green and brown yohen...
Attachments
DSC09026.JPG
DSC09026.JPG (35.01 KiB) Viewed 1663 times

Jan 12th, '13, 13:44

by Poohblah » Jan 12th, '13, 13:44

my new kyusu, a little Gyokko. Around 180mL to the rim. I think a few members here have a similar pot.

Jan 12th, '13, 21:24

by debunix » Jan 12th, '13, 21:24

Gorgeous combination of clay, carving, and fiery streaks on the finish.

Jan 13th, '13, 02:57

by Alex » Jan 13th, '13, 02:57

Yeah you got a good one there! That band going from handle to body is lovely

Jan 13th, '13, 10:17

by Poohblah » Jan 13th, '13, 10:17

Alex wrote:Yeah you got a good one there! That band going from handle to body is lovely
Thanks :) It actually continues on the foot and comes up the other side of the body.

Jan 17th, '13, 02:51

by Alex » Jan 17th, '13, 02:51

Shouldn't of bought this. As I've managed to stop myself buying a lot recently but saw this on Hojo website a couple of days ago and couldn't believe they hadn't been snapped up.

Both are sold now. One to me 8) that's my tea budget blown for the year :lol: must of logged on at just the right time.

150ml Shigaraki Clay by Masaki Tachi
IMG_4020.jpg
IMG_4020.jpg (15.37 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Last edited by Alex on Jan 17th, '13, 04:26, edited 2 times in total.

Jan 17th, '13, 02:53
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Jan 17th, '13, 02:53

Alex wrote:Shouldn't of bought this. As I've managed to stop myself buying a lot recently but saw this on Hojo website yesterday and couldn't believe they hadn't been snapped up.

Both are sold now. One to me 8) that's my tea budget blown for the year :lol:
IMG_4020.jpg
haha I claimed the other one... looking very, very forward to this pot. this pot is in my favorite size range as I favor brewing 4oz/120ml at once. I have never ben disappointed by tachi masaki in craftsmanship, function and simple aesthetics. the actual size in ml of the one I will be receiving is 165ml, the one you have is 150ml.

Alex do you have and tachi masaki pots?

Jan 17th, '13, 03:02

by Alex » Jan 17th, '13, 03:02

Haha that's awesome!

This is the one I contact Akira about. But in the email I told him to send more pics of the other which he got back to me saying its already sold and that I had people waiting behind me for this one.

How long were they up on the site for? when did you get yours? I'd been waiting over a year for Toru to get a small pot in from an artist and when it came in I wasn't that fussed anymore (partly as I got everything I need). But when I saw this my face was like :shock:

I have a low level tachi masaki that was $45 and I've handled one of his $80 pots so be interested to see how this matches up. IMO his low $45 represent the best bang for buck decent clay Kyusus in the world.....in my limited experience.

Also noticed that all the rough Shigaraki pots sold recently. Think may be due in part to all the exposure they've got on here recently. That was after all why I was having a sneaky peek

Jan 17th, '13, 03:24
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Jan 17th, '13, 03:24

Alex wrote:Haha that's awesome!

This is the one I contact Akira about. But in the email I told him to send more pics of the other which he got back to me saying its already sold and that I had people waiting behind me for this one.

How long were they up on the site for? when did you get yours? I'd been waiting over a year for Toru to get a small pot in from an artist and when it came in I wasn't that fussed anymore (partly as I got everything I need). But when I saw this my face was like :shock:

I have a low level tachi masaki that was $45 and I've handled one of his $80 pots so be interested to see how this matches up. IMO his low $45 represent the best bang for buck decent clay Kyusus in the world.....in my limited experience.
Akira posted them on his site yesterday, he went to the Masaki studio maybe a month ago or more? I am guessing thats when he picked these up. I don't actually have it in my hands... yet. so they did get "snapped" up. I strongly agree that the Masaki pot at any price range are GREAT pots, and at 45$ they are still superb in my slightly less than "limited" experience. I have a 300ml rough shigaraki as well as one that I got for around 50$ the craftsmanship is great on both, the shigaraki is fully handmade while the purple clay is partially hand made. Hojo does charge a "premium" but I don't know where else to get such pots made of such clay.

Jan 17th, '13, 03:41

by Alex » Jan 17th, '13, 03:41

I contacted him and he said these are really old stock. He totally forgot about them and then just a couple of days ago posted. He said I sent my email about number "8" within moments of them going up. Looks like it was meant to be!

So I think I have probably never handled a full hand made one from this artist. I know what you mean about the premium. But I've always felt it worth it. And he tends to sell stuff in sizes you just can't get elsewhere. I just had to buy two budget tyres for my tiny car which wasnt far off the price of the pot. I'd rather have the pot and walk :mrgreen:
Last edited by Alex on Jan 17th, '13, 04:37, edited 3 times in total.

+ Post Reply