A sad farewell to GreenTeaForum

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 30th, '12, 13:44
Scrolling: scrolling

A sad farewell to GreenTeaForum

by Chip » Dec 30th, '12, 13:44

O-Cha has after a period of contemplation decided to close down IMHO the best English language forum specializing in Japanese Teas and related topics. I had joined that forum shortly before joining TeaChat.

As of late, activity on that forum had slowed down considerably. I guess there are a lot of online options vying for members' cyber time.

It had a good run though, around 7ish years. I have seen countless tea forums start up, fail, and vanish during that time.

Dec 30th, '12, 14:09

Re: A sad farewell to GreenTeaForum

by AdamMY » Dec 30th, '12, 14:09

I had wondered what had happened. Yesterday every time I tried to visit it redirected to their home page. Sad as I was just starting to get more active on that forum once more.

Dec 30th, '12, 18:57

by sherubtse » Dec 30th, '12, 18:57

Pity. :(

I very much enjoyed Kevin's background details about the teas he was carrying, as well as related bits of info re Japanese teas.

Rather surprising that some notice of its closure wasn't given to members, especially as O-cha is known for top-notch customer service.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jan 12th, '13, 17:36
Scrolling: fixed

by Bob_McBob » Jan 12th, '13, 17:36

sherubtse wrote:Rather surprising that some notice of its closure wasn't given to members, especially as O-cha is known for top-notch customer service.
More surprising it wasn't only closed, but completely deleted. It is kind of insulting to all the people who took the time to write helpful posts over there. I didn't participate in the forum, but I frequently came across useful information in threads found from Google searches. It's sad that it was all removed.

Jan 13th, '13, 22:49
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Jan 13th, '13, 22:49

In retrospect, I should have given prior notice of it's closing. However, it was almost not being used at all and no one had posted there in ages.

FYI, I still have the database of all the posts. Not sure what to do with them but I'll keep that for the time being.

Jan 13th, '13, 22:54
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 13th, '13, 22:54

Could you possibly open it restricted from bots and the like? It could be locked and for reading only ...

Just a thought since it is a great resource.

Speaking of resources, could you put a link to the glossary back on your site's homepage?

Jan 14th, '13, 14:32

by sherubtse » Jan 14th, '13, 14:32

Kevangogh wrote:In retrospect, I should have given prior notice of it's closing. However, it was almost not being used at all and no one had posted there in ages.
Yes, it would have been better to have given some notice.

It would be great if you could make the posts available sometime, as Chip has suggested.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

+ Post Reply