How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Jan 17th, '13, 03:49
Vendor Member

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by blairswhitaker » Jan 17th, '13, 03:49

looking at my E-mail they actually posted on the 14th (time flies). I was in the process of picking out a different pot to exchange for one that was slightly smaller than listed, and lamenting that I was not finding anything in the exact size I wanted, and thats when I noticed these beauties, so it was fated for me as well.

Jan 17th, '13, 04:34

by Alex » Jan 17th, '13, 04:34

blairswhitaker wrote:looking at my E-mail they actually posted on the 14th (time flies). I was in the process of picking out a different pot to exchange for one that was slightly smaller than listed, and lamenting that I was not finding anything in the exact size I wanted, and thats when I noticed these beauties, so it was fated for me as well.
Yeah actually that sounds more like the right date. It took Akira a while to get back to me. I was a little worried my email hadn't got through. So I spammed a second one to him

Size wise I would of bought even up to 300ml. As its rare that everything comes together for me in one pot but 150ml was the icing on the cake!

I'm quite excited about this one :mrgreen:

Jan 17th, '13, 09:56

by GARCH » Jan 17th, '13, 09:56

That is awesome! I was stalking Akira's available list too! Too bad I don't have any resources left to buy those nice Shigaraki pots :? I wonder when will he bring in more since those are his old stock :D

Jan 18th, '13, 01:55

by Alex » Jan 18th, '13, 01:55

There's that 240ml one still left on the site. Anyway after buying such an incredible Kyusu you should be banned from purchasing for at least a month! :p

How's that pot going BTW?

Jan 18th, '13, 11:05

by Alex » Jan 18th, '13, 11:05

David R. wrote:
AdamMY wrote:Not that I need another one!
I didn't ! :D Nevertheless, it may be my first but maybe not my last kyusu from Yamada So... This one is giving me so much pleasure. It has a great "traditional japanese feel" and an incredible craftmanship. It is too early to talk about the quality of the clay, but so far, no unpleasant surprises in this area.

I really thank lionel for making me discover this artist and showing me some of his kyusu first-hand.

Its amazing his pieces. Really like his work. I think he's quite young as well like early 30s. Can't remember where I read that.

Jan 19th, '13, 06:36

by David R. » Jan 19th, '13, 06:36

I don't know his exact age but I saw a picture of him recently, and he is young indeed ! He has a great future before him for sure. Having a national living treasure as a grand father must help of course, his father is rather gifted too...

Nice Shigaraki teapot. I don't know if Akira is going to have more soon, so it may be quite a catch. I have tried this kind and it is a great pot.

Jan 19th, '13, 08:33

by Alex » Jan 19th, '13, 08:33

David R. wrote:I don't know his exact age but I saw a picture of him recently, and he is young indeed ! He has a great future before him for sure. Having a national living treasure as a grand father must help of course, his father is rather gifted too...

Nice Shigaraki teapot. I don't know if Akira is going to have more soon, so it may be quite a catch. I have tried this kind and it is a great pot.
That's good to hear. I didnt even quiz Akira on the clay. I just wanted the pot because I loved the way it looked and presumed the clay would be decent enough :lol:

Yeah at that age certainly seriously gifted. It really surprised me he was that young... His pieces just look really mature. Where did you get yours from? its a stunning pot. It looks like it will season deeply. Wouldn't mind seeing some more pics of it in the future once its had time age.

Jan 19th, '13, 12:55

by Lionel » Jan 19th, '13, 12:55

Alex : Yamada So was born in 1979...
I have no good photo here but I can say surely that this shudei (red clay) kyusu ages very very well...I have had in my hands the kyusu David shows here, and could compare with mine which is 2 years older, with an intensive use (every 2 day for my morning sencha)...Mine is much darker, shiny, the seal 急須 想 is black whereas it is red on David's one...And the inside is brown. It is an everyday magic to live with such a kyusu...

Jan 19th, '13, 13:43

by Alex » Jan 19th, '13, 13:43

Lionel wrote:It is an everyday magic to live with such a kyusu...

Sounds wonderful! 8)

Jan 19th, '13, 14:56

by GARCH » Jan 19th, '13, 14:56

Alex wrote:There's that 240ml one still left on the site. Anyway after buying such an incredible Kyusu you should be banned from purchasing for at least a month! :p

How's that pot going BTW?

Heh it's too late! I have already reserved a gem of a pot from Petr Novak :P a technical porcelain pot that's more versatile for brewing a wide range of teas.
Ohh the pot is simply gorgeous to hold and brew from. I find myself holding it in my hand, just feeling the lines and rough bits in it so often that I feel kinda silly :oops:
Initally I can 'taste' or smell a bit of the clay in my sencha, but it went away after couple of brews. I *think* it brings out the flavour and nuances of my sencha, while more or less maintaining the aftertaste. In my case, it actually made my current sencha taste more bitter and astringent initially, compared to brewing in a porcelain teapot :?

I think I need more sencha samples of higher quality to help me in my tastings. Current sencha batch is fukamushi and bought from Fukujuen, a Japanese tea shop in a shopping centre. I doubt it's of very good quality.

Jan 19th, '13, 15:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 19th, '13, 15:41

Garch, please show us your Petr-Yaki!

When a new clay piece arrives, I will give it a smell/taste test with hot water. After I pour the water out I smell the water and the pot. Then I taste the water.

If I am picking up "clay," then I give it either a short soaking or repeated rinsing with hot water.

If this does not work, then a longer soaking may be in order.

I follow the same process with clay cups.

Jan 20th, '13, 06:45

by David R. » Jan 20th, '13, 06:45

Yes, 1979, see here.
Alex wrote:Where did you get yours from?
I was able to purchase it thanks to Lionel and one of his acquaintance in Japan. This is not from regular shop I am afraid. But AN has a lot of his works.

Jan 20th, '13, 08:46

by GARCH » Jan 20th, '13, 08:46

Chip wrote:Garch, please show us your Petr-Yaki!

When a new clay piece arrives, I will give it a smell/taste test with hot water. After I pour the water out I smell the water and the pot. Then I taste the water.

If I am picking up "clay," then I give it either a short soaking or repeated rinsing with hot water.

If this does not work, then a longer soaking may be in order.

I follow the same process with clay cups.
Okay I think I will soak and rinse my Gisui kyusu for a more thorough cleaning! Thank you for the advice Chip :D

The Petr-yaki + cup I reserved is one from his Ten Gems of Ten kilns, I'm sure you've already seen it before Chip :lol: but anyway here goes! Pictures from his album

DRIPPY :D

Jan 20th, '13, 11:15

by debunix » Jan 20th, '13, 11:15

That's a stunner.

Jan 20th, '13, 12:17

by Alex » Jan 20th, '13, 12:17

David R. wrote:Yes, 1979, see here.
Alex wrote:Where did you get yours from?
This is not from regular shop I am afraid. But AN has a lot of his works.
Yeah I've been looking. Can't justify any more purchases fora while though. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply