Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware


Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby TIM » Jan 17th, '13, 15:07

Really beautiful set-up! Wow~
how do you drain the waste water? Just curious :D
User avatar
TIM
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 4th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby teaisme » Jan 17th, '13, 15:07

i was wondering that too,
wet vac or a giant pipette? :mrgreen:
Last edited by teaisme on Jan 17th, '13, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
teaisme
 
Posts: 1390
Joined: May 27th, '

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby ImmortaliTEA » Jan 17th, '13, 15:09

teaisme wrote:i was wondering that too,
wet vac? :mrgreen:


Lol!
User avatar
ImmortaliTEA
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Apr 12th, '
Location: Sunrise, FL

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby Fabien » Jan 17th, '13, 16:17

Thanks a lot Tom, Tim and teaisme. Not easy to find french tea addicts to sit along and sip a cup, so Teachat is a nice place to share our common TTAD (tea & teaware addiction disorder).

TIM wrote: ... how do you drain the waste water? Just curious :D

That's why there's that ugly drain hose (lower right corner, 2nd photo) :?
It drains the water to a big vase hidden under the table. I'm trying to find a more aesthetic solution (hollow bamboo) or a way to hide the hose.

You just need to remind to empty it as often as necessary !
User avatar
Fabien
 
Posts: 63
Joined: May 12th, '
Location: Haute-Savoie, France

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby teaisme » Jan 17th, '13, 16:48

ahhh i see, cool so there is some hollowness in the base to absorb the water
very nice find. I really like how there is enough room on the edges to fit a saucer and cup nicely for about five guests :mrgreen:
User avatar
teaisme
 
Posts: 1390
Joined: May 27th, '

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby Fabien » Jan 17th, '13, 17:06

teaisme wrote:ahhh i see, cool so there is some hollowness in the base to absorb the water very nice find.


Exactly, just one discrete hole crossing the whole section of the table.

teaisme wrote:I really like how there is enough room on the edges to fit a saucer and cup nicely for about five guests :mrgreen:


The door's open, you come whenever you want, I should manage to find enough yancha for five thirsty teachatters. Just send a PM before, of course... :wink:
User avatar
Fabien
 
Posts: 63
Joined: May 12th, '
Location: Haute-Savoie, France

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby David R. » Jan 19th, '13, 07:17

Be careful... I might come ! :lol:
User avatar
David R.
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Oct 6th, '0
Location: France

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby gasninja » Jan 19th, '13, 09:56

Fabien wrote:
TIM wrote: ... how do you drain the waste water? Just curious :D

That's why there's that ugly drain hose (lower right corner, 2nd photo) :?
It drains the water to a big vase hidden under the table. I'm trying to find a more aesthetic solution (hollow bamboo) or a way to hide the hose. !

I have the same problem let usknow if you come up with a solution.
User avatar
gasninja
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Mar 10th, '
Location: Mount Zion

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby victoria3 » Jan 20th, '13, 21:44

Kyusu-set_sm2.gif
Kyusu-set_sm2.gif (136.93 KiB) Viewed 736 times
I thought I would post various Kyusu's which I purchased at a Japanese antiquities fundraiser. I am still in the process of identifying each one. If anyone can add any information that would be much appreciated.
All my images are stored on Picasa at;
https://picasaweb.google.com/1103764364 ... u_OoJXotQE

Kyusus's-etc.gif
Kyusus's-etc.gif (117.96 KiB) Viewed 736 times


kyusu's2.gif
kyusu's2.gif (109.53 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Last edited by victoria3 on Jun 25th, '13, 20:55, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby victoria3 » Jan 20th, '13, 21:52

Here are individual image files of the Kyusu's with signatures. I'm still not sure were they are from or what the signatures mean.
260 ml
Kyusu-Filter2-w-Signature.gif
Banko Yaki, purple clay
Kyusu-Filter2-w-Signature.gif (132.06 KiB) Viewed 734 times

200 ml
Kyusu-filter-w-Signature.gif
Bizen Yaki made using Mogake design
Kyusu-filter-w-Signature.gif (94.34 KiB) Viewed 734 times

550 ml
Kyusu-5-w-Signatures.gif
Yixing China stamp, possibly 1966-1976
Kyusu-5-w-Signatures.gif (121.76 KiB) Viewed 734 times
Last edited by victoria3 on Mar 25th, '13, 15:39, edited 7 times in total.
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby Drax » Jan 20th, '13, 21:58

Hm, interesting! That last one you posted (with the flower on the edge of the handle) is Chinese, not Japanese. That one 4-character stamp is the classic "made in Yixing China" stamp...

The first one of the last three you posted looks like a Banko type kyuusu to me. The last character looks like 山 (yama/san) but I can't tell what the first one is.
User avatar
Drax
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Oct 16th, '
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby victoria3 » Jan 20th, '13, 22:02

Two more from the antiquities sale that I haven't identified yet:
350ml - this little lady reminds me of a flute...
Kyusu-4-w-Signature.gif
Japanese Kyusu, possibly Seifu Yohei III Meiji Kyoto
Kyusu-4-w-Signature.gif (104.7 KiB) Viewed 731 times

380 ml - this one isn't a kyusu. I don't know what its name is, but I like the profile. It also unfortunately has a very strong odor of clay, so much so that I probably can't use it. Water placed in it tastes very metallic.
Kyusu-6-w-Signature.gif
Yixing China stamp #2, possibly 1966-1976
Kyusu-6-w-Signature.gif (155.59 KiB) Viewed 731 times
Last edited by victoria3 on Mar 7th, '13, 04:52, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby Drax » Jan 20th, '13, 22:07

Hm, same comment with the bottom one of the last two. It's "Made in Yixing China."

If it were Japanese, I might have said it was a "houbin" (or houhin, or hohin, depending on how you want to spell it) -- except that it is much taller than the normal houbin and the clay really looks like a typical Yixing clay and not at all a Japanese clay.

However, I haven't seen any vessels shaped like it, so I can't comment further on it.
User avatar
Drax
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Oct 16th, '
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby victoria3 » Jan 20th, '13, 22:37

Drax wrote:Hm, same comment with the bottom one of the last two. It's "Made in Yixing China."

If it were Japanese, I might have said it was a "houbin" (or houhin, or hohin, depending on how you want to spell it) -- except that it is much taller than the normal houbin and the clay really looks like a typical Yixing clay and not at all a Japanese clay.

However, I haven't seen any vessels shaped like it, so I can't comment further on it.


Thank you for your comments. I suspected those two were Chinese, they are not as refined, well balanced or as light as the others.
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby victoria3 » Jan 21st, '13, 03:37

Drax wrote:Hm, interesting! That last one you posted (with the flower on the edge of the handle) is Chinese, not Japanese. That one 4-character stamp is the classic "made in Yixing China" stamp...

The first one of the last three you posted looks like a Banko type kyuusu to me. The last character looks like 山 (yama/san) but I can't tell what the first one is.


Yes, this 1st dark one does look to be a Banko purple clay kyuusu. It is very dense & light weight, unglazed and balances wonderfully. The second cream white clay kyusu is more delicate & seems to be made using "mogake design'' which is acheived by wrapping the ceramics with seaweed before firing them in the kiln". I can't identify any of the signatures though.
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation