Jan 22nd, '13, 18:51

Ways to keep single hole yixing from getting clogged?

by Exempt » Jan 22nd, '13, 18:51

My teapot from teamsters arrived and it is working quite well. The only issue I am having is that the spout gets clogged a lot and brings the pour down to a dribble. Is there any way to combat this or do I just have to compensate by starting to pour earlier?

Jan 22nd, '13, 19:06

Re: Ways to keep single hole yixing from getting clogged?

by wyardley » Jan 22nd, '13, 19:06

You can poke the spout (with a toothpick or something that's not too hard), or, if you are less genteel, you can blow into the spout (between infusions). It may be easier to first pull the leaves inside the pot a bit away from the opening, and then gently clean out the spout.

You can also make it less likely to be clogged by building the tea carefully (especially if there are a lot of broken bits), and then pouring in a fairly controlled way.

Sometimes the problem can actually be with the airhole on top, so make sure this isn't blocked or too small.

There are also some metal filters which you can put in the pot. Some people don't like them; I personally don't go out of my way to add them to single hole pots, but usually I don't take them out either, and I haven't found any issues with a metallic taste.

Jan 22nd, '13, 19:19

by tingjunkie » Jan 22nd, '13, 19:19

wyardley wrote:You can poke the spout (with a toothpick or something that's not too hard), or, if you are less genteel, you can blow into the spout (between infusions).
Just make sure to remove the lid before blowing, or you might end up with a very expensive one time use Yixing U.F.O. toy. :lol:

Jan 22nd, '13, 19:44

by bagua7 » Jan 22nd, '13, 19:44

I use a modified chopstick to unplog those leaves:

Jan 22nd, '13, 21:09
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 22nd, '13, 21:09

I too used a modified chopstick for a while, but found it much too scary as it got jammed at times. A toothpick feels a lot safer and is what I use regularly now.

Jan 22nd, '13, 23:45

by tingjunkie » Jan 22nd, '13, 23:45

I stole one of my wife's thin bamboo knitting needles. :mrgreen: Works great!

Jan 23rd, '13, 01:19

by Teaism » Jan 23rd, '13, 01:19

wyardley wrote:You can poke the spout (with a toothpick or something that's not too hard), or, if you are less genteel, you can blow into the spout (between infusions). It may be easier to first pull the leaves inside the pot a bit away from the opening, and then gently clean out the spout.

You can also make it less likely to be clogged by building the tea carefully (especially if there are a lot of broken bits), and then pouring in a fairly controlled way.

Sometimes the problem can actually be with the airhole on top, so make sure this isn't blocked or too small.

There are also some metal filters which you can put in the pot. Some people don't like them; I personally don't go out of my way to add them to single hole pots, but usually I don't take them out either, and I haven't found any issues with a metallic taste.
Well said!

Jan 23rd, '13, 01:43

by Tead Off » Jan 23rd, '13, 01:43

Many implements for tea are made for this purpose. I have one in horn with a wood handle. It is pick-like and slides easily and safely into the spout. When I notice the clogging, I simply reach for the pick and poke through. Usually, the next brew will not clog, but sometimes you need to keep doing it depending on how broken your tea leaves are. You can find these either online or in any Chinatown or tea shop. I've had my set for more than 20 years.

Jan 23rd, '13, 02:25

by wyardley » Jan 23rd, '13, 02:25

I know marshaln specifically recommends against using the purpose-built tools (in favor of a toothpick) because it's easier to break the spout with something that is heavier duty.

My tea tools are made of bamboo and fairly delicate, so I don't worry about it too much, but I'm also fairly careful not to poke too hard.

At work, I've used a paperclip if nothing else is handy.

Jan 23rd, '13, 02:57

by Tead Off » Jan 23rd, '13, 02:57

wyardley wrote:I know marshaln specifically recommends against using the purpose-built tools (in favor of a toothpick) because it's easier to break the spout with something that is heavier duty.

My tea tools are made of bamboo and fairly delicate, so I don't worry about it too much, but I'm also fairly careful not to poke too hard.

At work, I've used a paperclip if nothing else is handy.
Horn is flexible and gentle, I assure you. Paper clip can scratch. Very bad. Can't imagine breaking a spout with mine. Never even occurred to me; that is how natural it is. I wouldn't hesitate buying another. :D

Jan 23rd, '13, 06:52

by MarshalN » Jan 23rd, '13, 06:52

Please only use toothpick. It's the safest. The thing with horn, or any of these other things, is that when they go up against your spuot, your spout might lose, whereas when your toothpick goes up against the spout, the toothpick will lose. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

Jan 23rd, '13, 11:23

by Math » Jan 23rd, '13, 11:23

I find that after emptying the teapot from liquid, if the spout is not too clogged, say by rolled oolong just starting to expand, it can sometimes be enough to just carefully but firmly hit the pot a few times against the table in an angle so the tealeaves get shaken out of the spout and back into the pot.

Jan 23rd, '13, 13:22

by Evan Draper » Jan 23rd, '13, 13:22

Math wrote:firmly hit the pot a few times against the table
You're going to give poor Marshal a heart attack.

Jan 23rd, '13, 13:23

by BioHorn » Jan 23rd, '13, 13:23

Blowing through the hole!
I do that on occasion. Funny how there is a certain convergence of techniques, however ill-mannered they may be!

Reminds me of clarinet and bassoon players getting the water out of their keys. Same effect.

Jan 23rd, '13, 20:10

by edkrueger » Jan 23rd, '13, 20:10

BioHorn wrote:water

+ Post Reply