O-cha's expanded organic sencha range


Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby miginaustria » Jan 24th, '13, 14:13

I use to order quite a bit from o-cha and was always very satisfied, but a couple of years ago I started drinking almost exclusively organic sencha. I have now noticed their organic sencha range has expanded impressively. I can't find many opinions on their organic selections here, nor elsewhere on the internet, except for a few on steepster.
I am sure quite a few of you have had opportunity to try some of these sencha selections. Could you please chime in and let all of us know what you think of them, what your favorites are and so on?
miginaustria
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Jul 2nd, '0
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby Chip » Jan 24th, '13, 14:26

I just received the Organic Oku Midori which is perhaps the best organic I have had to date. I notice that the tea once opened ages really nicely versus just going south.

The few others I have had from O-Cha were pretty good too.

I actually have a standing offer from Kevin of O-Cha to conduct an OTTI tasting dedicated to their organics ... I really need to schedule this!
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22091
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby teaisme » Jan 24th, '13, 14:49

Chip wrote:I actually have a standing offer from Kevin of O-Cha to conduct an OTTI tasting dedicated to their organics ... I really need to schedule this!


Whattt!? I'm ready! :mrgreen:
User avatar
teaisme
 
Posts: 1390
Joined: May 27th, '

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby Chip » Jan 24th, '13, 14:55

Ironically, when I was posting I went to check the site for names I had tried, but the site is down on my end ...
teaisme wrote:
Chip wrote:I actually have a standing offer from Kevin of O-Cha to conduct an OTTI tasting dedicated to their organics ... I really need to schedule this!


Whattt!? I'm ready! :mrgreen:

Likewise, but I have a NOTTI, a Gyokuro OTTI Round 1 ... and I also have an offer for a Wuyi OTTI and a DYL OTTI :lol:

As Brandon would say, "Weeee!" :mrgreen:
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22091
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby edkrueger » Jan 25th, '13, 14:02

Those all sounds very exciting.

As for organic sencha, I've never been blown away by it. Ippodo's is only OK (I think I'd prefer any of their normal sencha over it.) Yuukicha has some OK ones and I particularly like their gyokujo kamairicha, but its too expensive. All in all, organic sencha disappoints, but the best I've had were the ones from Yuukicha.
User avatar
edkrueger
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Jun 24th, '

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby teaisme » Jan 25th, '13, 15:07

I am always optimistic with organic sencha. Really I can only see most of them getting better as farmers and producers begin to refine. It would be nice to observe/drink this trend first hand no :?:

As for them being disappointing, maybe I am just easily satisfied, thank goodness :mrgreen:
User avatar
teaisme
 
Posts: 1390
Joined: May 27th, '

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby Alex » Jan 25th, '13, 15:23

edkrueger wrote:Those all sounds very exciting.

As for organic sencha, I've never been blown away by it. Ippodo's is only OK (I think I'd prefer any of their normal sencha over it.) Yuukicha has some OK ones and I particularly like their gyokujo kamairicha, but its too expensive. All in all, organic sencha disappoints, but the best I've had were the ones from Yuukicha.


I've only bought from a few places but agree the ones from Yuukicha have been my favourites. Possibly because there was enough variety to find something I really enjoyed having worked my way through everything they stock
User avatar
Alex
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Oct 5th, '0
Location: UK

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby Chip » Jan 25th, '13, 17:55

Had O-Cha's Oku-Midori this AM ... this bag has been open a while, but the tea has evolved splendidly! :mrgreen:

Really, I have only had two reallllly bad organic Japanese greens in the last 5 years. One was a Gyokuro from Yuuki-Cha that was so bad and off tasting that I could not drink it. I don't remember where the other was from at the moment.

Generally I personally find the organics to be somewhat softer and not so deep and intense in flavor. I try not to judge them against conventionally grown Japanese greens ... they are a different animal pretty much altogether IMHO.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22091
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby Stentor » Jan 26th, '13, 05:15

I ordered some organic teas from O-Cha a few days ago. Anxiously waiting for them to arrive.
The Oku Midori is one of them. I'm glad you speak so highly of it. Looking forward to it! I've also ordered the Oku Yutaka. I had another Oku Yutaka tea a few years and I remember really enjoying it, so I'm excited to try this one.

I've been trying to keep a good ratio of organic vs. non organic if possible, so I am glad that availability and quality of organic teas has improved in the last couple of years. I hope this trend continues.
User avatar
Stentor
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Oct 8th, '1
Location: Germany

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby miginaustria » Jan 26th, '13, 14:31

Stentor wrote:I ordered some organic teas from O-Cha a few days ago. Anxiously waiting for them to arrive.
The Oku Midori is one of them. I'm glad you speak so highly of it. Looking forward to it! I've also ordered the Oku Yutaka. I had another Oku Yutaka tea a few years and I remember really enjoying it, so I'm excited to try this one.

I've been trying to keep a good ratio of organic vs. non organic if possible, so I am glad that availability and quality of organic teas has improved in the last couple of years. I hope this trend continues.


If you have the opportunity please post your impressions when the tea arrives and you get a chance to try them.
miginaustria
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Jul 2nd, '0
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby Stentor » Jan 28th, '13, 09:47

miginaustria wrote:If you have the opportunity please post your impressions when the tea arrives and you get a chance to try them.


I have just had the Oku Yutaka for the second time. I don't want to say too much about it yet.
What I can say already is that it has really nice aroma, it tastes quite fruity and sweet, very refreshing.
User avatar
Stentor
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Oct 8th, '1
Location: Germany

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby NOESIS » Jan 28th, '13, 15:49

edkrueger wrote:Those all sounds very exciting.

As for organic sencha, I've never been blown away by it. Ippodo's is only OK (I think I'd prefer any of their normal sencha over it.) Yuukicha has some OK ones and I particularly like their gyokujo kamairicha, but its too expensive. All in all, organic sencha disappoints, but the best I've had were the ones from Yuukicha.


Not a big fan of deep steamed sencha, but I've had some rather nice ones from YC. Nowadays, I always go for the asamushi selections, and they've carried some pretty stellar ones over the past few years. They also have some very solid organic kamairichas to boot.

OCs organic med-light steamed senchas have all been very good as well. Especially the Kagoshima "gold". Maybe my fave organic ever. Yummy stuff!
NOESIS
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Dec 29th, '
Location: Nor Cal

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby Peacock » Jan 28th, '13, 22:00

NOESIS wrote:
edkrueger wrote:OCs organic med-light steamed senchas have all been very good as well. Especially the Kagoshima "gold". Maybe my fave organic ever. Yummy stuff!


The Kagoshima "gold" was the best organic sencha I've ever had.
User avatar
Peacock
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Oct 28th, '
Location: California

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby edkrueger » Jan 28th, '13, 23:30

Peacock wrote:
NOESIS wrote:
edkrueger wrote:OCs organic med-light steamed senchas have all been very good as well. Especially the Kagoshima "gold". Maybe my fave organic ever. Yummy stuff!


The Kagoshima "gold" was the best organic sencha I've ever had.


I didn't say that!
User avatar
edkrueger
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Jun 24th, '

Re: O-cha's expanded organic sencha range

Postby Ill-literate » Jan 29th, '13, 22:30

I'm really digging the Shizuoka ones. Oku Hikari is where it's at.
Ill-literate
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sep 17th, '

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation