How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Jan 23rd, '13, 22:17
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Chip » Jan 23rd, '13, 22:17

GARCH wrote:Okay I think I will soak and rinse my Gisui kyusu for a more thorough cleaning! Thank you for the advice Chip :D

The Petr-yaki + cup I reserved is one from his Ten Gems of Ten kilns, I'm sure you've already seen it before Chip :lol: but anyway here goes! Pictures from his album
You are welcome ... and yes I had my eye on that one too. Love the Petr-Yaki! :mrgreen:

Jan 23rd, '13, 22:30

by Chip » Jan 23rd, '13, 22:30

3 little Touju ... when I like an artisan, I tend to rebuy and keep looking to add.

I enjoy both the artist's whimsy and attention to detail. These 3 mimic cast iron tetsubin texturally, etc. I first purchased this guy as soon as ArtisticNippon offered it. The cast iron look (including a faded rusty look that does not show in this series of phone photos) is done tastefully and modestly. I loved it immediately and wanted another, but this artisan was an unknown element to the West and this was the only piece available at the time.

Jan 23rd, '13, 22:43

by Chip » Jan 23rd, '13, 22:43

Soooo, of course I dropped a mere hint at more interest in other styles and Toru came back with these two. Dealing with Toru is always a pleasure, he gave me time to ponder ... and I could not decide ... and took both. I am soooo glad I did as the prices have gone up and will continue for the hobnail styles due to labour intensity and high failure rates.

Despite the whimsy factor ... these are an extreme pleasure to use. The clay is surprisingly thin for the amount of "texture." The handle and spout are shorter and a bit ... "stubby." But it really works for these. The pour is lightning fast having wide spout opening and a somewhat small "ball" screen.

Love the "hobnail" effect!

Jan 23rd, '13, 22:55

by Chip » Jan 23rd, '13, 22:55

It would seem that I favor aesthetics and textures over a kyusu having to be of a certain type of "clay." I trust the artisan to match the clay to the pot to arrive at a very usable final piece. This philosophy has not failed me yet in this realm.

... I definitely go with what I immediately "feel" I like the looks of and will like the texture as well. Size plays a big factor as well, but I will bend to a degree on size ...

A lot of attention to detail ... including the "rusty skirt."

Jan 23rd, '13, 22:59

by Chip » Jan 23rd, '13, 22:59

Since I purchased the first Touju, Toru has added quite a few new styles. It has been kind of cool playing a very tiny part in a wave generation. 8)

I am always looking to see what else is showing up. I also noticed that his competitor has added Touju to their line up. I suspect they are watching each other ...

Jan 23rd, '13, 23:17

by GreenwoodStudio » Jan 23rd, '13, 23:17

Wow, those are rock'n Chip! :shock:

Jan 24th, '13, 01:45

by Poohblah » Jan 24th, '13, 01:45

I said, "that is the teapot for me!" when I saw one of those Touju listed on AN. Then I looked at the price and said, "that is most certainly not the teapot for me!" :lol: They are really nice pots by the looks of them, and I'm glad somebody's enjoying them :) I particularly like the hobnail pot with the skirt.

Jan 24th, '13, 02:02

by Chip » Jan 24th, '13, 02:02

GreenwoodStudio wrote:Wow, those are rock'n Chip! :shock:
:mrgreen:
Poohblah wrote:I said, "that is the teapot for me!" when I saw one of those Touju listed on AN. Then I looked at the price and said, "that is most certainly not the teapot for me!" :lol: They are really nice pots by the looks of them, and I'm glad somebody's enjoying them :) I particularly like the hobnail pot with the skirt.
Since I purchased these three, the prices seem to have doubled ... on the hobnails especially.

Still I look ...

Jan 24th, '13, 02:21

Ode to the Kyusu

by debunix » Jan 24th, '13, 02:21

Lovely collection, Chip. I have been admiring some of his pots on AN for quite a while now, although it took your post to get me to appreciate the hobnails as they deserve.

Jan 24th, '13, 19:23

by Chip » Jan 24th, '13, 19:23

debunix wrote:Lovely collection, Chip. I have been admiring some of his pots on AN for quite a while now, although it took your post to get me to appreciate the hobnails as they deserve.
Thank you, debunix. I do not often "recommend" Tokoname artisans ... no real reason why not. But I do recommend this artisan if you are looking for something completely different. If you see a piece that is sold or not listed, Toru will do his best to obtain one for you.

Jan 25th, '13, 06:29

by Alex » Jan 25th, '13, 06:29

Wow thanks for those posts Chip. I really like this artist a lot. I'm really glad to see him doing so well on AN. Seems there's a wide range on there now with steady sales (Not all you it seems :mrgreen: ). I really like the stubby spouts and the wide handle. Often I find that handles can be just a touch too small for me on some kyusu-s and actually they don't need to be longer just a touch fatter. How do these feel in the hand? they look superb.

Those pots look great in a set like that. Any plans for more?

I got this pot today. 1 week to the UK and didnt pick up customs charges as I picked economy

Its an incredible piece. The attention to detail is sublime and in a different league to the cheaper pieces I've handled by this artist. As soon as I got it out of the box it just felt perfect and right. I don't always get that with high end pots (one of the gambles of buying online) but its lovely when it instantly clicks as soon as you pull it out the box and mime pouring. Akira Hojo sent me about 8 detailed pictures when I expressed my interest. Which helps a lot but its nothing like that first time you actually handle something.

Jan 25th, '13, 10:32

by GARCH » Jan 25th, '13, 10:32

Alex wrote:
I got this pot today. 1 week to the UK and didnt pick up customs charges as I picked economy

Nothing to say but..... :shock: *drools*. I bet it handles and brews like a dream! I'm sure you spent a lot of time 'caressing' it as well :lol:

Jan 25th, '13, 12:02

by Alex » Jan 25th, '13, 12:02

I always do a lot of caressing.........and perhaps the odd kiss :lol:

Jan 26th, '13, 04:22

by Stentor » Jan 26th, '13, 04:22

Sweet pot, Alex. Showing great taste as always.

And Chip broke the bank. But it looks like it was worth it. :lol: These are incredible.

Jan 26th, '13, 08:37

by Alex » Jan 26th, '13, 08:37

Stentor wrote:Sweet pot, Alex. Showing great taste as always.
*Tips hat*

Thank you sir 8)

+ Post Reply