How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Jan 26th, '13, 10:26
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Chip » Jan 26th, '13, 10:26

Alex wrote:Wow thanks for those posts Chip. I really like this artist a lot. I'm really glad to see him doing so well on AN. Seems there's a wide range on there now with steady sales (Not all you it seems :mrgreen: ). I really like the stubby spouts and the wide handle. Often I find that handles can be just a touch too small for me on some kyusu-s and actually they don't need to be longer just a touch fatter. How do these feel in the hand? they look superb.

Those pots look great in a set like that. Any plans for more?
Thank you kindly.

Have you tried the "fist grip" where you slide the handle between the index and middle finger (with the thumb upward) then the fingers are somewhat clenched with the handle end usually resting somewhat perpendicularly against the palm. Thumb holds the lid in place.

This is like one of those grip wrenches advertised on TV. The Kyusu is not going anywhere except as you dictate. Added benefit of this grip is great control or pouring. You can pour with the wrist or more sensitive pouring by rolling the handle between your finger. Cool!

I had a big problem with smaller handles as well, then I was enlightened by Toru ... now I use this grip more than any other.

More ... of course. If I purchased one and I like the artisan after handling, then more is always an option. :mrgreen:
I got this pot today. 1 week to the UK and didnt pick up customs charges as I picked economy

Its an incredible piece. The attention to detail is sublime and in a different league to the cheaper pieces I've handled by this artist. As soon as I got it out of the box it just felt perfect and right. I don't always get that with high end pots (one of the gambles of buying online) but its lovely when it instantly clicks as soon as you pull it out the box and mime pouring. Akira Hojo sent me about 8 detailed pictures when I expressed my interest. Which helps a lot but its nothing like that first time you actually handle something.
I just missed the two Shiggy. I was "Shimuzing" with Hojo and thought to myself I wish there was a plain Masaki Tachi Shigaraki (sieved version) Kyusu ... I should have asked, drat!

Great looking kyusu and size! Enjoy!
Stentor wrote:And Chip broke the bank. But it looks like it was worth it. :lol: These are incredible.
Thanks, Stentor! :mrgreen:

Jan 26th, '13, 11:59

by Alex » Jan 26th, '13, 11:59

I have tried that grip you mentioned before! I've never heard of anyone else doing it until now and thought I was just being silly LOL. It also felt weird to me which is why I didnt carry on with it, but I may go back and give it another shot now. 8)

After all I never liked the 3 finger technique with a gaiwan at first but now I use it all the time and never do the caveman clasp (aka holding the whole 3 pieces together)

Jan 26th, '13, 12:46

by Chip » Jan 26th, '13, 12:46

Alex wrote:I have tried that grip you mentioned before! I've never heard of anyone else doing it until now and thought I was just being silly LOL. It also felt weird to me which is why I didnt carry on with it, but I may go back and give it another shot now. 8)

After all I never liked the 3 finger technique with a gaiwan at first but now I use it all the time and never do the caveman clasp (aka holding the whole 3 pieces together)
It felt very foreign to me at first too ... I think I scoffed at it in rebellion ... now it is second nature to pick up this way. I think I was "mad" because I did not discover it on my own like I did with the "handshake" grip. :lol:

Jan 26th, '13, 13:55

by Chip » Jan 26th, '13, 13:55

... oh yeah, I remember. I ordered and received a Seiho Momiji Kyusu which had my first "small handle." I was having fits holding it the normal "handshake" way. I contacted Toru and asked "is this a Kyusu for a woman to use due to the small handle?" He replied with the 4 Kyusu grip photo. :oops: :idea: :arrow:

Ohhhhh ... live and learn.

Jan 26th, '13, 15:15

by Alex » Jan 26th, '13, 15:15

Out of interest is there a pic of the 4 grip picture.

I like the term "handshake grip" :mrgreen:

Jan 27th, '13, 01:21
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Jan 27th, '13, 01:21

here is a pic

also a thread about it. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=106257

I am still waiting on my new tachi masaki to arrive (paces impatiently and stares at mailbox.)

Jan 27th, '13, 01:56

by Poohblah » Jan 27th, '13, 01:56

Now I see why some handles flare out so much at the end... I always thought it looked so ugly, but it looks like it would be far more comfortable with the "fist grip" (#1 in the chart above).

By the way, I would like to add one more grip style to the list. It is similar to the handshake grip (#2), but instead the wrist is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise (if looking at the handle straight-on) so that the palm rests on the top of the handle rather than the side. This also tends to push the thumb closer to the spout, and even off of the knob of the lid if the pot is large enough. If I keep my wrist straight, then my arm tends to be aligned more with the spout than with the handle. I like this grip because I can rotate the handle of the kyusu by opening and closing my fist, much like you can roll the handle of the kyusu between the index and middle fingers when using the fist grip.

I'll show a picture if anybody asks. It's not terribly different from the standard handshake grip, which I think is more comfortable for larger pots. But to me the difference is great enough that it warrants at least a comment.

Jan 27th, '13, 03:35

by Alex » Jan 27th, '13, 03:35

blairswhitaker wrote:
I am still waiting on my new tachi masaki to arrive (paces impatiently and stares at mailbox.)
Good luck. It completely exceeded my expectations. A stunning little pot. Hojo should get him to make a load more like that. I'm sure they'd sell like hot cakes.

Jan 28th, '13, 01:52

by Chip » Jan 28th, '13, 01:52

Jan 28th, '13, 01:53

by Chip » Jan 28th, '13, 01:53

Jan 28th, '13, 02:05

by Alex » Jan 28th, '13, 02:05

Are those from Hojo chip?

Jan 28th, '13, 02:12
Vendor Member

Ode to the Kyusu

by blairswhitaker » Jan 28th, '13, 02:12

Alex wrote:Are those from Hojo chip?
Yeah chip that is quite a teaser... No info?

Jan 28th, '13, 02:45

by GARCH » Jan 28th, '13, 02:45

Chip wrote:Image
Ooo I like this one! Love the roundness. Is it by Shimizu Ken? :)

Jan 28th, '13, 03:02

by Alex » Jan 28th, '13, 03:02

Its gotta be. I watched one exactly the same as that get sold recently. Think it was 200-225ml. I wanted it but held off

Lovely pot

Jan 28th, '13, 05:11

by GARCH » Jan 28th, '13, 05:11

Alex wrote:Its gotta be. I watched one exactly the same as that get sold recently. Think it was 200-225ml. I wanted it but held off

Lovely pot
You held off and got another beauty with your preferred volume from Tachi Masaki :wink:

+ Post Reply