Jan 27th, '13, 19:35

Re: Higher-end gaiwans

by AdamMY » Jan 27th, '13, 19:35

guitar9876 wrote:http://www.redblossomtea.com/teaware/gaiwan.html
I got to see some of Red Blossom's new gaiwans when I stopped by the shop recently. Beautiful, but I could never justify buying one because first of all, I'm a broke college student and second, I break way too many gaiwans! :lol:
That new Celadon gaiwan http://www.redblossomtea.com/teaware/ga ... -2012.html, looks like it would kill my fingers, unless I switched to using the saucer when I pour. Oddly that gaiwan looks like the saucer is made to intentionally make it easier to use the saucer when you pour. I am betting I could almost use it similar to a houhin.

Jan 27th, '13, 19:44

by debunix » Jan 27th, '13, 19:44

Most of those gaiwans appear to have very little distance between edge of lid and rim of the bowl, which suggests scorched fingers to me.

Jan 27th, '13, 20:24

by NOESIS » Jan 27th, '13, 20:24

Glad I stocked up on the utility gaiwans from Tea Hong. They were the same ones that TTG carried, and for a fraction of the price. Since I posted the link a few days ago, now they are OOS. :lol:

Jan 27th, '13, 20:37

by bagua7 » Jan 27th, '13, 20:37

NOESIS wrote:most of the oolongs and chinese green teas that I prefer, I'll use one of these over an Yixing pot more often than not.
Me too, especially greens and dancongs. Also old puerh if you don't have a pot doubling the age of the tea.
Alex wrote:please do post some pics of your high end ones you're getting rid of. I'd be interested to see them :D
No need for pics, they can be viewed here:

YS
eBay

They are not that high-end (I am not crazy enough to spend money in something that is so easy to break, lol), what I meant is what is the point of either spending a lot of money in a high-end gaiwan if it is going to burn your fingers.

That cheap gaiwan I got now, even though is not that thin, doesn't scorch my fingers at all. Besides, why would you want a thin gaiwan anyway? They cool off too quickly ruining an optimal brew.

Jan 27th, '13, 23:43

by thanks » Jan 27th, '13, 23:43

I've been using a hand scorcher almost exclusively for a long time until recently. I just got used to it, I guess. It's probably time to replace this one and this thread reminded me.

I've been tempted by higher-end gaiwans in the past, but after going through a handful of cheap ones (not from clumsiness, just eventual cracking from heat) I fear for the permanence of such a purchase for a gaiwan addict such as myself. I think I'll start researching thick 60-80ml gaiwans.

Jan 27th, '13, 23:52

by edkrueger » Jan 27th, '13, 23:52

I've never had a gaiwan crack from heat. I suspect that is a feature of the cheap ones.

Jan 28th, '13, 00:44
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 28th, '13, 00:44

NOESIS wrote:Glad I stocked up on the utility gaiwans from Tea Hong. They were the same ones that TTG carried, and for a fraction of the price. Since I posted the link a few days ago, now they are OOS. :lol:
Why would you said they are the same one from the Tea Gallery? A guess or fact?

Jan 28th, '13, 01:11

by NOESIS » Jan 28th, '13, 01:11

TIM wrote:
NOESIS wrote:Glad I stocked up on the utility gaiwans from Tea Hong. They were the same ones that TTG carried, and for a fraction of the price. Since I posted the link a few days ago, now they are OOS. :lol:
I broke one that was gifted to me a few years back. It was purchased from TTG. Recently ordered a few from Tea Hong, and I am almost certain they are "the same" beast (based on memory, mind you). The weight, the feel, and balance. Can't be 100% certain if it was the same manufacturer though, as neither had any identifiable markings. Bottom line: if they aren't "identical", it doesn't much matter, seeing as they both handle superbly. :D

Jan 28th, '13, 01:18

by Alex » Jan 28th, '13, 01:18

bagua7 wrote:why would you want a thin gaiwan anyway?
Again my post details why I like thin gaiwans. So need to to type it out again. What's important is you've got something now which works for you and you like it. 8)

Jan 28th, '13, 02:42
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 28th, '13, 02:42

NOESIS wrote:
TIM wrote:
I broke one that was gifted to me a few years back. It was purchased from TTG. Recently ordered a few from Tea Hong, and I am almost certain they are "the same" beast (based on memory, mind you). The weight, the feel, and balance. Can't be 100% certain if it was the same manufacturer though, as neither had any identifiable markings. Bottom line: if they aren't "identical", it doesn't much matter, seeing as they both handle superbly. :D
The Tea Gallery's Gaiwan were a one time custom ordered, all hand made based on the owner requirements. So it cannot have a 2nd batch.

Jan 28th, '13, 02:55

by NOESIS » Jan 28th, '13, 02:55

Interesting. I used the TTG daily for a few years, and these "utilitarian" gaiwans perform exactly as my hand-brain memory dictates. Apparently these two vendors obtained pieces made to very, very similar specs. As mentioned, I can't tell the difference in daily performance.

Jan 28th, '13, 04:12

by bagua7 » Jan 28th, '13, 04:12

Alex wrote:Again my post details why I like thin gaiwans.
Maybe your reasoning is flawed? :mrgreen:

"For me the way the thin porcelain feels elegant in the hand, the high pitched ping as the lid makes contact with the body, due to the thin walls its very ease to create a sharp small opening between the lid and the vessel walls which means I can even brew fuka in the gaiwan if I really want." (Alex).

Have you realised that thin gaiwans cool off too quickly and it has an impact on the brew itself? You may find the following blog entry useful:

http://teamasters.blogspot.com.au/2005/ ... est-2.html

But...I also agree that in the end of the day what matters the most is "if it works for you so be it!" :wink:

Jan 28th, '13, 08:03

by Alex » Jan 28th, '13, 08:03

bagua7 wrote:Maybe your reasoning is flawed?
Not for me :mrgreen: . I've used both loads over the last 10 years, and prefer thin. Someone else may prefer thick.

I can always use a tea boat if I really want to help the gaiwan retain heat, which when I use to brew oolong I would do sometimes on very late stages of the session. 8)

Jan 28th, '13, 08:38

by edkrueger » Jan 28th, '13, 08:38

Perhaps the Gawain will keep heat better if you paint it red.

Jan 28th, '13, 08:43

by Alex » Jan 28th, '13, 08:43

LOL

+ Post Reply