Matcha green tea powder vs. Barley Grass powder

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 6th, '13, 06:21

Matcha green tea powder vs. Barley Grass powder

by tehtehteh » Jan 6th, '13, 06:21

Which is healthier in terms of antioxidants, chlorophyll...ect
Looking for a drink that will stop the ageing process, which would do a better job? Thanks.

Currently drinking 3tbs of yuuki cha organic matcha a day.

Wondering if I should switch to Yamamoto Kanpou barley grass powder.

Jan 6th, '13, 17:03

Re: Matcha green tea powder vs. Barley Grass powder

by Senchamatcha » Jan 6th, '13, 17:03

I do not know the answer to your question but I would assume matcha would taste better that barely. Grass.
And how would these things stop aging? Does matcha give you immortality?

Jan 6th, '13, 19:13

by entropyembrace » Jan 6th, '13, 19:13

Sorry, but matcha is not the ground leaves of the tree of life. :roll:

It's only the ground leaves of a camellia.

I don't think eating grass will help either; cows only live for 15 years or so tops.

Jan 6th, '13, 21:55

by tehtehteh » Jan 6th, '13, 21:55

Senchamatcha wrote:I do not know the answer to your question but I would assume matcha would taste better that barely. Grass.
And how would these things stop aging? Does matcha give you immortality?
from the research I've done, it takes a considerable amount of matcha to combat free radical damage that occurs on a day to day basis. I drink about 3 tbs a day.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500171_162-6560088.html

read the drink they have at #1. Maybe there is no "tree of life" and I appreciate your sarcasm, but my question was which of these two drinks is better for your health, not how long cows live. I thought a forum dedicated to tea would have more educated posters. I guess my assumption was incorrect.

Jan 6th, '13, 22:40

by AdamMY » Jan 6th, '13, 22:40

tehtehteh wrote: I thought a forum dedicated to tea would have more educated posters. I guess my assumption was incorrect.
Exactly we are a forum dedicated to tea, because we like tea. We like to drink it because of how it tastes, not some claimed health benefit. Let me put it this way we drink tea much in the same way smokers smoke.

While Tea drinkers can lean towards more health conscious in our lifestyle choices ( not always though), even if tea was suddenly procliamed to be hazardous to our health, while we may try and cut back, we likely will be sneaking off at least once a week to brew up some tea.

So I submit if you want a serious answer to your question turn to an herbalists forum where it would be far better suited, because those people care about those things.

Jan 7th, '13, 01:25

by tehtehteh » Jan 7th, '13, 01:25

AdamMY wrote:
tehtehteh wrote: I thought a forum dedicated to tea would have more educated posters. I guess my assumption was incorrect.
Exactly we are a forum dedicated to tea, because we like tea. We like to drink it because of how it tastes, not some claimed health benefit. Let me put it this way we drink tea much in the same way smokers smoke.

While Tea drinkers can lean towards more health conscious in our lifestyle choices ( not always though), even if tea was suddenly procliamed to be hazardous to our health, while we may try and cut back, we likely will be sneaking off at least once a week to brew up some tea.

So I submit if you want a serious answer to your question turn to an herbalists forum where it would be far better suited, because those people care about those things.
You're a miracle worker.

Jan 28th, '13, 22:38

by edkrueger » Jan 28th, '13, 22:38

3 tbs = 45g. That sounds very unhealthy. So, I'd assume the barely-grass is at least not as dangerous.

As far as Adam goes, I think he is a miracle worker and he is also the only form member that was nice enough to answer your post cordially. Most would not have bothered.

Jan 28th, '13, 22:43

by edkrueger » Jan 28th, '13, 22:43

Also, I think 45g of matcha sounds much worse for your health than a few cigarettes. I see possibilities for cancer (mouth, throat and stomach) from reflux and hypertension or worse from the caffeine. I would really talk to a (real) doctor.

Jan 29th, '13, 15:49

by teaisme » Jan 29th, '13, 15:49

old chinese saying goes a man lives a certain number of breaths, once he reaches that number it is time to go

so just practice holding your breath and you should live a really long time
*farting counts as breathing too

Just poking some fun :mrgreen:

If I were trying to create some super health boost drink along the vein of what your doing....
I would just mix the two powders, cutting way down on the matcha, in some real soy milk that has been mixed with extremely fine ground/powder almonds and peanuts, and this drink would most definitely be served hot (preferably with something with a warming kick on the side like a crushed nectarine mixed well with clove, cinnamon, turmeric, and raw honey)

Or you could get something easier like this...
http://www.happyhaeyo.com/en/product/de ... m?idx=2091
mix it with soy milk/milk and matcha, and of course drink it slowly while it is hot

As to your original question, they are different animals, no sense comparing the highest antioxidants especially since the specific types of antioxidants varies so drastically between the two things you have chosen to compare

Jan 29th, '13, 17:22

by BioHorn » Jan 29th, '13, 17:22

teaisme wrote:old chinese saying goes a man lives a certain number of breaths, once he reaches that number it is time to go

so just practice holding your breath and you should live a really long time
*farting counts as breathing too

Just poking some fun :mrgreen:

If I were trying to create some super health boost drink along the vein of what your doing....
I would just mix the two powders, cutting way down on the matcha, in some real soy milk that has been mixed with extremely fine ground/powder almonds and peanuts, and this drink would most definitely be served hot (preferably with something with a warming kick on the side like a crushed nectarine mixed well with clove, cinnamon, turmeric, and raw honey)

Or you could get something easier like this...
http://www.happyhaeyo.com/en/product/de ... m?idx=2091
mix it with soy milk/milk and matcha, and of course drink it slowly while it is hot

As to your original question, they are different animals, no sense comparing the highest antioxidants especially since the specific types of antioxidants varies so drastically between the two things you have chosen to compare
That sounds really good.

Feb 19th, '13, 16:51

by Brian Nametko » Feb 19th, '13, 16:51

I haven't tried either yet...I know Trader Joe's has green hemp powder. I have it in vanilla flavor and it's not bad in a shake.

Feb 19th, '13, 21:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Running for Tea » Feb 19th, '13, 21:35

tehtehteh wrote:from the research I've done, it takes a considerable amount of matcha to combat free radical damage that occurs on a day to day basis.
I'd think adequate fruit and vegetable consumption would have a much bigger impact than matcha/barley powder.

Feb 20th, '13, 10:04

by beforewisdom » Feb 20th, '13, 10:04

tehtehteh wrote:Which is healthier in terms of antioxidants, chlorophyll...ect
Looking for a drink that will stop the ageing process, which would do a better job? Thanks.

Currently drinking 3tbs of yuuki cha organic matcha a day.

Wondering if I should switch to Yamamoto Kanpou barley grass powder.
No sarcasm meant, but I think you will get better results from eating a lot of fresh produce, regular exercise and regular sleep.

I've learned the hard way that being interested in living healthier produces good results, but if you keep pushing things you reach a point of diminishing returns and you can even make yourself ill.

The documentary "Forks Over Knives" is pretty good.

There aren't any magic bullets.

You need a wholistic healthy lifestyle

Feb 20th, '13, 19:44

by Running for Tea » Feb 20th, '13, 19:44

beforewisdom wrote:
No sarcasm meant, but I think you will get better results from eating a lot of fresh produce, regular exercise and regular sleep.
+1
beforewisdom wrote:There aren't any magic bullets.
I can't tell you how many times I've heard that phrase during class!

Feb 20th, '13, 19:49

by Chip » Feb 20th, '13, 19:49

Running for Tea wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:There aren't any magic bullets.
I can't tell you how many times I've heard that phrase during class!
Hmmmm, according to Hojo, Nosaka is "magic clay." So, Nosaka Bullets would be magic?

Ohhh, again I take a statement on TeaChat too literally. :wink:

+ Post Reply