Should I refrigerate Matcha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 7th, '08, 16:14

Should I refrigerate Matcha?

by joelbct » Jan 7th, '08, 16:14

Yes? No? How about Sencha (usu gone in 2 months max anyway)?

I have never refrigerated my tea before, but I seem to remember hearing that one is supposed to refrigerate Matcha, although I do not see that specifically mentioned anywhere at the moment.

Jan 7th, '08, 16:21

Re: Should I refrigerate Matcha?

by joelbct » Jan 7th, '08, 16:21

OK, nevermind, I found this answer in an old thread.... :)
Chip wrote:It is very complicated storing open tea in the fridge, and a little risky. I pull it off though, but most vendors shudder at the notion. I use a small tin (sample tin from Upton) for my everyday use, and bundle the reserve up to prevent loss of flavor. The tin I do not put in the fridge. The reserve I do, but do this at your own risk. If you do not store it in the fridge, once open, use your sencha within 1-2 months.

Remember also, when you take tea out of the fridge, allow the entire contents to warm to room temp so when you open it, moisture does not condence on your leaves.

Matcha, until you are ready to use it, store it in the fridge. Once open, it is too much of a pain to store in fridge because you have to allow it to warm to room temp each time you open the tin. Just use it in 60 days.

One more thing, before I put tea in fridge for cold storage, I always add some layers to it. Foil zip bags that vendors like Upton use are great for this, but in a pinch, use zip locks.

Jan 7th, '08, 16:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 7th, '08, 16:33

A few things I always stress...

I do not recommend doing this, it carries with it some risk.
I have a seperate "teafridge" that is opened maybe once every week or so. So, no odors, and constant temps.
And do this at your own risk, make sure you know what you are doing.
Make sure your tea warms up to room temp before unbundling.

I have a lot of success with this and have NEVER ruined a tea due to any type of fridge exposure issues. I have had an open matcha in the fridge and many sencha that I believe were kept fresher as a result of this practice, but this is pure conjecture. I would also say that this practice is certainly not the norm.

Of course the more common practice is to store unopened teas in the fridge.

Jan 7th, '08, 18:29

by bambooforest » Jan 7th, '08, 18:29

I personally would not store opened tea of any kind in the fridge. Will what you could gain measure up to that which you could lose?

Jan 7th, '08, 18:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 7th, '08, 18:44

What Ryan says is very true, and one should heed his advise.

Yes, this practice is risky, but so was steaming the Japanese tea leaf for longer than the conventional asamushi sencha leaf. Logic would dictate that this would certainly ruin the delicate flavor of sencha...but something truly remarkable happened and now we have fukamushi.

Follow the path well traveled or blaze a new trail, but weigh risk vs possible benefit, conventional vs nonconventional.

And, again, I am not recommending this practice.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 7th, '08, 20:28

by Space Samurai » Jan 7th, '08, 20:28

Most quality matcha that I've purchased comes throughly sealed in a can with a pull tab, so I wouldn't worry about puttina an un-opened can in the fridge. Honestly, matcha storage has not been a problem yet, If I'm careful, I can get a new can to last 2, maybe 3 weeks before its gone.

Jan 8th, '08, 14:08

by joelbct » Jan 8th, '08, 14:08

Matcha: 2 servings a day times 12-24 servings = gone quickly :)

Based on this info, I will continue keeping opened matcha and sencha containers unrefrigerated, and will continue consuming it relatively quickly....

Jan 11th, '08, 12:59

by Samovar » Jan 11th, '08, 12:59

I alway place the opened Matcha container in tupperware first and then in the fridge.

Samovar

+ Post Reply