Vintage Wuyi

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 30th, '13, 00:12

Vintage Wuyi

by Teaism » Jan 30th, '13, 00:12

Dear Tea friends,

I am curious to know what are the vintage Wuyi in your collection.

Vintage Wuyi if stored correctly and brewed correctly can be heavenly.

I will start off with a small pewter caddy Shui Xian of the era of 1960s or early 70s. It is about 1.5 inches high (Pic 1 ) and there are tea inside nicely packed in a small packet of a quater of an inch (Pic 2).

Cheers!
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (25.08 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (24.78 KiB) Viewed 2127 times

Jan 30th, '13, 08:08

Re: Vintage Wuyi

by gasninja » Jan 30th, '13, 08:08

Excuse me as the drool from my chin. :P

I have a small amount of 1985 shui xian. The tea has a medicinal taste that is more like an aged Liu bao or pu-erh than an oolong. The cha qi is the strongest I've exprienced from any oolong.

I also have a 95 rou gui from the same vendor. This tea can be excellent when gotten right. But it is very finicky.

As well as a 92 seadyke tai Luo Han and a early 90s shui xian.
Last edited by gasninja on Jan 30th, '13, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 30th, '13, 08:16

by GARCH » Jan 30th, '13, 08:16

Samples please? :P On a more proper note, I've never tried any wuyi's so far. I see an aged Shuixian from EoT though. Maybe I should order some + other wuyi to try :?

The feeling must be really special when you drink your vintage wuyis, Teaism :!:

Jan 30th, '13, 19:37

by shah82 » Jan 30th, '13, 19:37

gasninja, how's your selection of aged taiwanese balled teas? I've had a number of excellent versions of those, and have had more iffy relationships with wuyi--I disliked that 70s tuocha that Houde sold, really liked an almost 20yo SX.

But those taiwan teas can really taste like a dim sun.

Jan 30th, '13, 23:00

by Teaism » Jan 30th, '13, 23:00

gasninja wrote:Excuse me as the drool from my chin. :P

As well as a 92 seadyke tai Luo Han and a early 90s shui xian.
Hi gasninja,

Seadyke 90s Wuyi is really good. Is yours comes in pewter caddy? Those are really nice. Some are of them QianLixiang and some are Buchichun. I still have a few of them lying around and only brew them with my tea friends to enjoy them together.

We usually re-fresh or bake them twice to reveal its inherent flavour before brewing them in chazhou style.

Jan 31st, '13, 00:22

by wyardley » Jan 31st, '13, 00:22

I have a bunch of the pewter jar rougui, fairly reliably late 90s, as well as one piece of the qianlixiang. Sadly, no buzhichun. Apparently, worth a lot in SE Asia. I also have some of the tieguanyin (octagonal can), though I think it's a bit later.

I have had good luck doing a brief refresher roast with these as well (and also sorting out the smallest fannings).

Jan 31st, '13, 00:52

by Teaism » Jan 31st, '13, 00:52

wyardley wrote:I have a bunch of the pewter jar rougui, fairly reliably late 90s, as well as one piece of the qianlixiang. Sadly, no buzhichun. Apparently, worth a lot in SE Asia. I also have some of the tieguanyin (octagonal can), though I think it's a bit later.

I have had good luck doing a brief refresher roast with these as well (and also sorting out the smallest fannings).

YES! Well done! If it is from the 90s era it cost about US $200 now, but worth more if you use it to make more tea friends.

Bravo, my friend!

Jan 31st, '13, 01:00

by wyardley » Jan 31st, '13, 01:00

Teaism wrote: YES! Well done! If it is from the 90s era it cost about US $200 now, but worth more if you use it to make more tea friends.
Thanks.

The store that sold it is a Chinese herb / tea store here in Los Angeles; I had someone check the warehouse records, so that's why I'm fairly confident some or all of it's from the 90s or before, though there do seem to be two distinct batches (one seems slightly "older"). I don't think many people here is interested in that tea, which is why it was just kind of sitting around the store. I bought almost all they had. It's all still in the original boxes with styrofoam and cellophane, and of course, the climate here is very dry as well.

The funny thing is that I went to the store tons of times and probably passed by those tins many, many times before trying it.

I also got 2 big jars and 1 little jar of "Golden Sail" tieguanyin (that's Shantou CNNP vs. Xiamen CNNP). This is a little bit later. The tea is actually surprisingly nice - fruity, a nice medium oxidation, low-medium roast tea, though the leaves are a little thin feeling. Worth buying just for the tins.

Jan 31st, '13, 02:12

by Teaism » Jan 31st, '13, 02:12

wyardley wrote:
Teaism wrote: YES! Well done! If it is from the 90s era it cost about US $200 now, but worth more if you use it to make more tea friends.
Thanks.

The store that sold it is a Chinese herb / tea store here in Los Angeles; I had someone check the warehouse records, so that's why I'm fairly confident some or all of it's from the 90s or before, though there do seem to be two distinct batches (one seems slightly "older"). I don't think many people here is interested in that tea, which is why it was just kind of sitting around the store. I bought almost all they had. It's all still in the original boxes with styrofoam and cellophane, and of course, the climate here is very dry as well.

The funny thing is that I went to the store tons of times and probably passed by those tins many, many times before trying it.

I also got 2 big jars and 1 little jar of "Golden Sail" tieguanyin (that's Shantou CNNP vs. Xiamen CNNP). This is a little bit later. The tea is actually surprisingly nice - fruity, a nice medium oxidation, low-medium roast tea, though the leaves are a little thin feeling. Worth buying just for the tins.

Wow those cylindrical pewter caddy now worth some money too. The good point in the West is that not many people know the value of such thing, so there are still good chances of finding treasure of the East there. Lucky you. :mrgreen: Oooops! the secret is out now :oops:

In the East, there are battalions of tea sentinnels hunting everything down all the time. The only chance to find something valuable is to visit someone's home and hope that their grandpa left something that the younger generation cannot relate to and willing to get rid of...e.g like 50s tea or teapots..:P

Have a good day my friend.

+ Post Reply