Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 28th, '13, 02:31

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by NOESIS » Jan 28th, '13, 02:31

Well of course, all tea is technically "organic". :P

Out of curiosity, is it only sencha that you found to taste "weird and overbearing"? Do you drink any other categories of tea (Japanese or otherwise)? If so, are they generally organic?

Jan 28th, '13, 03:35

by NOESIS » Jan 28th, '13, 03:35

One last cup of kuki hojicha (Ippodo), then off to sleep.

Jan 28th, '13, 04:32

by GARCH » Jan 28th, '13, 04:32

Chip wrote:Wow, quite a write-up for that aracha. If it is too bitter, bring the temp down to normal sencha range and/or shorten the brew time. I would think if you lower the temp, you may have to increase the time... ?
blairswhitaker wrote: I am familiar with this tea, here is how I do it. ( I don't care for Hojo's brewing methods with green tea, oolong and puerh I like his hot water flash steeping but green tea, I think his recommendations scald the leaf.)

first steep: 1gram per oz, (your right in the ballpark with your tea to water ratio) water at 75c for 1min

second steep: water at 80c for 15sec

third steep: water at 80c for 1min

fourth steep: water at 85c for 1:20

I would give this a try and see what the results are like for you, it should cut down on the astringency quite a bit. I found the this tea to be thick and sweet, very nice.
Starting off the day with Uji Sencha Jubuzan again! The last tiny bit of my sample so it was brewed in a gaiwan, my kysusu is too big for this :?

I followed the recommendations from the both of you and cut down on the brewing temperatures and extended the brewing times. Definitely the bitterness is gone completely. I can taste the thick vegetal sweetness as well, and a bit of floral aromas when I breathe out.
Chip wrote:So, I broke out the Zairai Sencha from Hojo to start the TeaDay.
Then Yutaka Midori from O-Cha.

These two selections are so far apart in virtually every respect that they are practically from different planets ... or solar systems.

But this was a very enjoyable variety!
I agree with you Chip! The first wrong step for me was approaching this tea with a typical sencha taste profile in mind. I believe Hojo's selections of sencha seems to be going after a Chinese/Taiwanese oolongs sort of taste profile :?

Also, I think my kyusu might be retaining a bit too much heat, maybe that's why it turned out astringent :?

Jan 28th, '13, 04:57

by GARCH » Jan 28th, '13, 04:57

NOESIS wrote:
GARCH wrote:Uji Sencha Jubuzan from Hojo Tea. Not sure if it's my brewing or tastebuds but it doesn't really taste that fantastic :?
I've tried all of the Japanese teas from Hojo, and like you, I didn't find them to be very flavorful. I believe it has more to do with his selections, rather than the fact that they were grown w/o pesticides and chem fertilizers. I've had many different varieties from YC that had far more flavor....and they were light or medium steamed.

Currently drinking Ippodo sencha Kaboku.
I've always wanted to try Ippodo's sencha :mrgreen: how is their Kaboku? Is it an asamushi or fukamushi?

Jan 28th, '13, 10:38

by NOESIS » Jan 28th, '13, 10:38

GARCH wrote:
NOESIS wrote:
GARCH wrote:Uji Sencha Jubuzan from Hojo Tea. Not sure if it's my brewing or tastebuds but it doesn't really taste that fantastic :?
I've tried all of the Japanese teas from Hojo, and like you, I didn't find them to be very flavorful. I believe it has more to do with his selections, rather than the fact that they were grown w/o pesticides and chem fertilizers. I've had many different varieties from YC that had far more flavor....and they were light or medium steamed.

Currently drinking Ippodo sencha Kaboku.
I've always wanted to try Ippodo's sencha :mrgreen: how is their Kaboku? Is it an asamushi or fukamushi?
All are asamushi. :wink:

Jan 28th, '13, 12:03

by NPE » Jan 28th, '13, 12:03

I have enjoyed the Seogwang from Korea (available from TeeGschwnendner in Germany). It has a full, round flavour - I guess umami would be the word. For me currently the best tea to start the day or end the work day.
And to continue the discussion about whether organically grown tea has any weaker flavour than the ones that were, let me say, grown with additional encouragement: this one is organic and it certainly ain't weak or timid. Any more flavour and I would have to be picking myself up from the other corner of the room after taking a sip :lol:

Jan 28th, '13, 15:01

by NOESIS » Jan 28th, '13, 15:01

More (non-organic) Japanese green. :shock: Gyo Ippoen from Ippodo.

Jan 28th, '13, 16:34

by David R. » Jan 28th, '13, 16:34

andrzej bero wrote:
David R. wrote:This is quite a different sencha compared to what you may be accustomed to. It was grown using no pesticids and no fertilizers, which means no umami.
David, I know this view but I admit that I never fully understand it. Can you explain it to me - what is the relationship between pesticides and umami. I wonder becuse "umami" taste is known for sure earlier than pesticides.

btw - superb looking Tai Ping. Comes from?
I believe others have answered before me. Nitrogen tends to create umami. It can be added through a lot of different means, some being organic, some far from it.

The trend for sencha now seems to have moderate to high level of umami. It is seen by a lot as being a quality criteria. Some farmers, and sellers, do believe that there are other ways to make good sencha. The Tsukigase Zairai is one of them, but other sellers also sell this kind of sencha. It is my understanding that this kind of sencha tastes more like they used to, decades ago.

Further info on the chemistry can be found on Hojo's website. Check out the article on the Uji Jubuzan Sencha to understand his views on this. Before being a tea seller, he was an agrochemical engineer who worked for a long time dealing with fertilisers. This makes a (long) interesting point of view as far as I am concerned.

Jan 28th, '13, 16:48

by David R. » Jan 28th, '13, 16:48

As for my parameters with the Uji Sencha Jubuzan, I don't have a definitive approach with this tea. It comes out well with higher temperature. One thing for sure, I put more leaves. I am around 6g for 9-10cl with all my sencha.

With this tea, I tend to begin with 80°C for one minute, then 15" at 85°, then 1' at 90°C, etc. But other parameters may be better according to the taster. I found flash infusion with hot water to lead to an interesting result.

Jan 29th, '13, 12:32

by andrzej bero » Jan 29th, '13, 12:32

Thanks to those who tried to help me understand the relationship between chemical fertilizers and umami.
The Hojo page is great. I did not realize before it is so information-rich site. I read it with some anxiety - is a bit like in this famous Bismarck's quote about sausage and politics :)

Gyokuro from "my shelf" today so nothing to say

Jan 29th, '13, 13:08

by Peacock » Jan 29th, '13, 13:08

Oku Midori from thes-du-japon. Salty unami on the first brew that can be compared to salted cashews. Second brew is very special.

Jan 30th, '13, 19:55

by AdamMY » Jan 30th, '13, 19:55

Gyokuro from Hoshino Village, Yame, Fukuoka Prefecture. Yabukita Cultivar.

Brewed up in my Choun Houhin, and served up in the Masanao frosty ice block.

Feb 1st, '13, 07:54

by andrzej bero » Feb 1st, '13, 07:54

before spring "green" shelves cleaning started
Kubota-en Fukomushi Yame Shincha(?), such stuff I could find not opend:)
Attachments
wDSC_0342.jpg
wDSC_0342.jpg (14.99 KiB) Viewed 1418 times

Feb 2nd, '13, 15:11

by NOESIS » Feb 2nd, '13, 15:11

A early afternoon bowl of Tancho-no-mukashi. The green afterglow begins to set in.... :D

Feb 2nd, '13, 16:16

by AdamMY » Feb 2nd, '13, 16:16

AdamMY wrote:Gyokuro from Hoshino Village, Yame, Fukuoka Prefecture. Yabukita Cultivar.
This time brewed double strong, in my snow day gyokuro set up. (pictured in teaware of the day).

Oh yeah sad to say though, its the end of the bag.

+ Post Reply