Feb 3rd, '13, 02:43

Tea Tins and Tea Volume Question!

by ALSL » Feb 3rd, '13, 02:43

Hello teachat!

I was just wondering what is the average volume capacity of a tea tin that will be able to fit 200g of the most room-hungry tea (i.e big leaves and what not.) (Volume in any measurement unit will be fine as I can just easily convert it.)

I was wondering this because I'm on my way to starting a small tea business and would like to know the size of the tins that I'd be purchasing to fit 200g of tea.

Also, how would you feel if you received your order of 50g or 100g in the same size tin as 200g? Would you feel like you got an empty-ish tin, or would you actually feel like you got a deal because you got a large tin for free even though you only ordered the smaller amount of tea?

Thank you for your time!

Feb 3rd, '13, 03:50

Re: Tea Tins and Tea Volume Question!

by bagua7 » Feb 3rd, '13, 03:50

Allow for a bit more but not too much or you'll give customers the impression they are being ripped off like those chips or doritos manufactured by a division of the corporation PepsiCo.

Say 200g of tea in a 225 to 250g tin caddy.

Feb 3rd, '13, 03:55

by ALSL » Feb 3rd, '13, 03:55

Aaa I see, so it would be bad to have a 1 sized tin fits all?

I would assume that people understand what ordering 50g of tea would look like, but I guess I'm wrong on this count ^_^

Thank you for your input!

Feb 3rd, '13, 13:45

by wyardley » Feb 3rd, '13, 13:45

The extra air in the canister will not benefit the tea.

You might consider using good quality bags instead.

Rather than asking here, you should buy some samples of different packaging, and try it out yourself with the actual teas you intend to sell.

Feb 3rd, '13, 15:52

by minor_glitch » Feb 3rd, '13, 15:52

I prefer bags over tins. I know one tea vendor uses these bags: http://www.packplus.com/stand-up-pouche ... p-pouches/
I'm sure a few people here will recognize them.

Feb 3rd, '13, 16:14

by debunix » Feb 3rd, '13, 16:14

I prefer bags over tins, as I can pile more of them up in my boxes:

Tins hardly ever match well enough to stack well and expose the teas to a lot of air unless you put the tea in resealable bags inside the tins. I never want to pay extra for tea to be in tins.

Feb 3rd, '13, 16:43

by ALSL » Feb 3rd, '13, 16:43

Wow! You guys have all been super helpful! I never thought that people would much rather have pouches. I just assumed that tins were so much prettier that people would rather have the tins. This has been extremely eye-opening thanks :D

Feb 3rd, '13, 18:13

by wyardley » Feb 3rd, '13, 18:13

One problem is that the kind of tins which are available at prices that merchants can usually afford for packaging tea tend to be low in quality. Compared to a cheapo tin, I will take a good (odorless, thick) bag over the tin almost any day.

Bags also have the advantage of being able to push out some of the excess air.

Feb 3rd, '13, 19:35
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Feb 3rd, '13, 19:35

I am in favor of the poly-foil bag as far freshness and keeping out air goes. i think tins are bulky, I only use them for japanese greens that I am currently drinking and I want to pick my tin to suite my tastes as well. It seems like it would also cause for an increased shipping cost especially if someone ordered 10 different selections.

+ Post Reply