Well, I have not posted any studio updates in a while, so here goes. It's been a few months since I've had the chance to make new work. My main studio space is located in a pole barn and until just recently there was not an insulated, heated, finished area that I could work in the winter. But now I do. Yay!
It was a lot of work and really the fist time I have done that sort of carpentry, but we took our time and did it right. Now I'm a happy (and warm) potter again and getting back into making new work.
For my first run of pots I decided to do some porcelain gaiwan and cup sets. I made a couple dozen of these sets of various sizes. The glaze firing was interesting. I had intended for these to be just plain porcelian with a nice smooth celadon glaze, so when I first opened the kiln and saw the results I was kinda freaking out. Not what I expected and further confirmation that the kiln gods are in fact tricksters. Upon closer inspection I was actually very pleased with the results, and a bit frustrated by the fact that I'll probably never be able to duplicate this surface. The porcelain bloated in a way that I've never encountered before, very tiny, consistently spaced bumps that resemble a frog's skin effect. Usually "bloating" is an ugly fault where you will get just a couple of random spots in the body of the piece that have bubbled and inflated from gas being trapped in the clay. The results I got here really add to the depth of the surface and remind me of a subtle pebbled textured clay under a nice smooth celadon. I'll try and get some better close-up shots tomorrow.
Here's a small example. It's small at 40 ml. where the lid meets the inside of the cup (with no leaf) The cup is 50 ml. to the rim.