Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 6th, '13, 17:15
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Chip » Feb 6th, '13, 17:15

Mystery Sencha #2, Kuritawase asamushi. Trying different Kyusu.

A few days ago, Hagi by Noutomi. Was great!

Yesterday brewed in Touju, was great!

Today brewed in Nosaka reduction Kyusu by Shimizu Ken, was great! Maybe greatest???

Conclusion ... besides the obvious, this Kuritaqwase is spectacular ... I have not drawn a conclusion on the Kyusu matching with this sencha, nor whether one is superior to another. However today's brew was really amazing.

Feb 7th, '13, 13:16

by Peacock » Feb 7th, '13, 13:16

Yabukita asa from thes-du-japon this morning. It is very similar to Yuuki-Cha's Kumamoto Jo sencha if my memory is correct.

Feb 7th, '13, 17:06

by NOESIS » Feb 7th, '13, 17:06

Chip wrote:Mystery Sencha #2, Kuritawase asamushi. Trying different Kyusu.

A few days ago, Hagi by Noutomi. Was great!

Yesterday brewed in Touju, was great!

Today brewed in Nosaka reduction Kyusu by Shimizu Ken, was great! Maybe greatest???

Conclusion ... besides the obvious, this Kuritaqwase is spectacular ... I have not drawn a conclusion on the Kyusu matching with this sencha, nor whether one is superior to another. However today's brew was really amazing.
Beautiful tea ware! So, did you notice improved aftertaste with the SK Sado clay pot?

Afternoon tea break with sencha Tokiwagi asamushi from Horaido. Brilliant classic Ujicha! Brewing in Ippodo porcelain kyusu for this session. Tomorrow I'll brew w/ my 90ml SK.

Feb 7th, '13, 17:45

by AdamMY » Feb 7th, '13, 17:45

Just had a wonderful session of Tenjo. I know Tenjo is good, but it really hit the spot even though I was grading while brewing, combined with the fact that I have not been sleeping well these past few days, I am exhausted, and there were times I was sure I botched the brewing, but it really turned out well!

Feb 7th, '13, 19:05

by Chip » Feb 7th, '13, 19:05

NOESIS wrote:
Beautiful tea ware! So, did you notice improved aftertaste with the SK Sado clay pot?
The Kyusu in the photo is the Nosaka (yellow clay) reduction Kyusu.

I have not fgured out the nuances of these kyusu, but I can tell you this really banged up front ... I know he talks about long aftertastes, etc. I am just not there yet with these pots.

However, I will say this, the Sado red clay reduction seems quite different than this Nosaka. The Sado seems to even things out, maybe prolonging while softening the high points. I do not sense this with the Nosaka however!!! The two different clays, both reduction fired, seem to offer very different results.

But more tasting ... er testing must be done to come to a conclusion.

Feb 7th, '13, 19:26

by NOESIS » Feb 7th, '13, 19:26

Chip wrote:
NOESIS wrote:

I have not fgured out the nuances of these kyusu, but I can tell you this really banged up front ... I know he talks about long aftertastes, etc. I am just not there yet with these pots.

However, I will say this, the Sado red clay reduction seems quite different than this Nosaka. The Sado seems to even things out, maybe prolonging while softening the high points. I do not sense this with the Nosaka however!!! The two different clays, both reduction fired, seem to offer very different results.

I see. You wanted to test the Tokoname rf red clay against the Nosaka rf yellow clay. I've been temped to pick up a Nosaka houhin.....but for the time being, my neo-cortex is keeping my limbic brain in check. :lol:

Feb 7th, '13, 19:31

by Chip » Feb 7th, '13, 19:31

AdamMY wrote:Just had a wonderful session of Tenjo. I know Tenjo is good, but it really hit the spot even though I was grading while brewing, combined with the fact that I have not been sleeping well these past few days, I am exhausted, and there were times I was sure I botched the brewing, but it really turned out well!
Tenjo ... that is ... as they say on ebay, "vintage." :mrgreen: But a good vintage!

Now you need some Kuritawase and Asanoka. :idea: :wink: :arrow:

Which is what I brewed up today!

Hmmm, maybe a "mystery Gyokuro" to finish the TeaDay!

Feb 7th, '13, 20:03

by Chip » Feb 7th, '13, 20:03

NOESIS wrote:
Chip wrote:
NOESIS wrote:

I see. You wanted to test the Tokoname rf red clay against the Nosaka rf yellow clay. I've been temped to pick up a Nosaka houhin.....but for the time being, my neo-cortex is keeping my limbic brain in check. :lol:
Yes, I am doing comparisons. The two different reductions compared. Then also the oxygen Nosaka compared to both reductions.

The Namagaki (sp?) Nosaka was thrown in on impulse due to hyper limbic activity ... something like that. :mrgreen:

So, that made 4 Shimizu Ken Kyusu. Did I mention there was a 5th kyusu in the order which offered a logical extention to these clay brewing experiments?

Feb 7th, '13, 20:43

by NOESIS » Feb 7th, '13, 20:43

Chip wrote: Yes, I am doing comparisons. The two different reductions compared. Then also the oxygen Nosaka compared to both reductions.

The Namagaki (sp?) Nosaka was thrown in on impulse due to hyper limbic activity ... something like that. :mrgreen:

So, that made 4 Shimizu Ken Kyusu. Did I mention there was a 5th kyusu in the order which offered a logical extention to these clay brewing experiments?
Oh my, I see you have a severe case of Hojo Fever! :shock: :lol:

Feb 7th, '13, 21:41

by Chip » Feb 7th, '13, 21:41

NOESIS wrote:
Chip wrote: Yes, I am doing comparisons. The two different reductions compared. Then also the oxygen Nosaka compared to both reductions.

Oh my, I see you have a severe case of Hojo Fever! :shock: :lol:
... kind of like Chicken Pox ... the later in life you get them, the worse the case usually is.

Seriously though, I approached this purchase pretty methodically along with a healthy dose of curiousity.

Actually I was always "planning" on selling 1 or 2 of the Kyusu at the conclusion of the experiments if I felt it made sense to do so, and if I felt 1 or 2 of the Kyusu would be a "better fit" for someone else. Or was this just justification for the expanded purchase? 8)

Feb 11th, '13, 11:41

by dshu » Feb 11th, '13, 11:41

Just finishing up a session of Yutaka Modori fromO-cha using my Andrzej Bero shibo

Feb 13th, '13, 15:09

by NOESIS » Feb 13th, '13, 15:09

Large chawan filled with Wakayanagi bancha to accompany my lunchtime bowl of udon.

Feb 13th, '13, 20:44

by Devoted135 » Feb 13th, '13, 20:44

Rose sencha from the awesome sampler that Den's offers to newbies like me. :) It doesn't taste at all like the sencha fuka-midori from the same sampler, with a super strong rose scent and flavor with a pleasant aftertaste. Slightly astringent, but with no bitterness. 8)

Feb 13th, '13, 22:51

by GreenwoodStudio » Feb 13th, '13, 22:51

Den's sent me a sample of the rose sencha with my order recently. I don't usually drink these flavored teas. I always feel like it's trying to cover up something. The combo of sencha and rose tasted to me like grapefruit. Glad you enjoyed it though Devoted. I have some left, so I'll give it another try.

Feb 13th, '13, 23:19

by Devoted135 » Feb 13th, '13, 23:19

GreenwoodStudio wrote:Den's sent me a sample of the rose sencha with my order recently. I don't usually drink these flavored teas. I always feel like it's trying to cover up something. The combo of sencha and rose tasted to me like grapefruit. Glad you enjoyed it though Devoted. I have some left, so I'll give it another try.
Yeah, I hear you there. It was extremely "rose-y, and oh by the way there's some green in there too." Not one that I would have ordered on my own, but I'm glad to have a chance to try it. I ended up brewing it hotter than I meant to (180-190F or so) but I think it worked out pretty well. Let me know what you think. :)

+ Post Reply