Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Feb 6th, '13, 17:54

Re: Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

by GreenwoodStudio » Feb 6th, '13, 17:54

I'm glad it's a'work'n for you 5* :) You can just show it to her with thanks for the early Valentine's Day gift ;)

Feb 7th, '13, 22:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Feb 7th, '13, 22:27

Look what arrived in the mail today! (Well, yesterday, but my apartment office closes before I get home on Wednesdays...)

Untitled by Devoted135, on Flickr

The cup on the right is exactly what I've been looking for, as all of my current cups are glazed so dark that I can't see the tea! And the beauty on the left just grabbed me the instant I saw it. I love the way the colors sort of swish around the outside! Simply gorgeous. :D Thanks so much Shawn!

Feb 9th, '13, 13:44

by JRS22 » Feb 9th, '13, 13:44

I just received my 65 ml gaiwan set from Shawn and put it to use immediately. I chose this "larger" gaiwan, which still holds only 1/4 cup, because I'm planning on using it with chinese greens. One aspect of the design of this beauty which is not obvious from the photos is how comfortable it is to use. Because of the deep rim on the gaiwan cup, and the generous knob on the lid, it's easy to pour with one hand, without coming near the hot part of the gaiwan. While i've mastered, thanks to Teachat, the art of using the saucer and lid to pour hot tea from a gaiwan without burning myself, this arrangement is very natural and comfortable.

Feb 9th, '13, 15:07

by GreenwoodStudio » Feb 9th, '13, 15:07

JRS22 wrote:I just received my 65 ml gaiwan set from Shawn and put it to use immediately. I chose this "larger" gaiwan, which still holds only 1/4 cup, because I'm planning on using it with chinese greens. One aspect of the design of this beauty which is not obvious from the photos is how comfortable it is to use. Because of the deep rim on the gaiwan cup, and the generous knob on the lid, it's easy to pour with one hand, without coming near the hot part of the gaiwan. While i've mastered, thanks to Teachat, the art of using the saucer and lid to pour hot tea from a gaiwan without burning myself, this arrangement is very natural and comfortable.
I'm glad it arrived and is being put to work :) I've been using a couple of these myself. I'll offer one tip that I'm finding helpful. When filling the cup, over-fill, like to the rim. When you place the lid on water will spill over into the saucer, using the lid slightly tip the cup so that the water above the rim spills into the saucer even more, until your water level is slightly above the rim so it seals. Brew and then just use the 3 point method with the lid and cup the pour off the brew. I don't mean to tell you what to do, but personally I'm finding I'm getting a better cuppa with this method. I think because of the size of these, using the saucer like a tea boat to retain temp. is important. I just had a yummy gyokuru session in this way by both preheating the ware and using the above method to keep temp. Thanks and enjoy!

Feb 9th, '13, 21:09

by JRS22 » Feb 9th, '13, 21:09

Too late for more tea today, so I'll experiment with your method tomorrow.

Feb 10th, '13, 02:31

by Chip » Feb 10th, '13, 02:31

GreenwoodStudio wrote:Yeah Paul, tiny pots hehehe :lol: Good luck with the wood-firing!

Here's one that's bigger but by no means BIG, still only 75 ml.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/122784386/ ... y-textured
Shawn,

You should definitely do a shib or houhin set with this glaze!

Feb 14th, '13, 23:15

by GreenwoodStudio » Feb 14th, '13, 23:15

Soooo, looking at the "Accidental Dragon's" ecclectic mate revealed yet another "dragon" ...

Maybe this is Smaug?

Image.
Well, Chip has me on the look-out for dragons now in these wood fired pieces. Look at this one!! Holy cow... :lol: ...I was pretty excited when I saw it swooping down out of its' dark cloud! He's even scaly. Pretty cool for being completely unintentional.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/116171565/ ... -stoneware

Mar 29th, '13, 19:18

by GreenwoodStudio » Mar 29th, '13, 19:18

Well just a quick post of a new pot before I have to run out of the house for a while. It's been a bit since I've posted any new work, much more to come later. I wish I had made more of these because they came out pretty cool. I only have about 6 and I want to keep a few for myself :lol: Here's a cute little Shib. which has a 2 oz. capacity. I made these mostly for the GYO OTTI because I wanted to stretch out the tea for myself. This is one I'm letting go.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/127916328/ ... ome_active

I'm going to be posting a lot more work on my Etsy this weekend and I'm also slashing prices on some of my older work to make room for the new, so keep a look-out for deals. :mrgreen:

Mar 29th, '13, 19:45

by Chip » Mar 29th, '13, 19:45

That is a sweet little Shib, Shawn!

Mar 30th, '13, 00:19

by GreenwoodStudio » Mar 30th, '13, 00:19

Chip wrote:That is a sweet little Shib, Shawn!
Thanks Chip :mrgreen:

I did a good bit of cobalt underglaze decorating on this group of work. I really dig the way the glaze pulls and obscures the brushwork. Depending on the glaze thickness, it can do it a little like on this gaiwan....
https://www.etsy.com/listing/127931291/ ... ome_active
....or a lot like on this wan w/ Dorje imagery :)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/127935321/ ... ome_active

Mar 30th, '13, 00:21

by Chip » Mar 30th, '13, 00:21

... I was wondering if the Shib was displaying a blue undercast ... or was it my imagination. Did you apply cobalt to the Shib as well?

Mar 30th, '13, 00:44

by GreenwoodStudio » Mar 30th, '13, 00:44

No cobalt, but it is the same glaze and goes a touch blue on that clay. It's probably best described as a transparent forest green color though.

Mar 30th, '13, 00:53

by Chip » Mar 30th, '13, 00:53

GreenwoodStudio wrote:No cobalt, but it is the same glaze and goes a touch blue on that clay. It's probably best described as a transparent forest green color though.
Ohhh, nice.

And some TCer likely bought it just as I was going to cave in ... :evil:

Mar 30th, '13, 08:28

by GARCH » Mar 30th, '13, 08:28

Aww! And I excitedly clicked on that Houhin link only to find that it sold out :(

Mar 30th, '13, 12:29

by Devoted135 » Mar 30th, '13, 12:29

Ooohhhh, forest green, my favorite! You don't happen to have a couple more of those hidden away, do you? :lol:

+ Post Reply