NOTTI 2 Mystery Uber Sencha

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

NOTTI 2 Mystery Uber Sencha

Postby Chip » Feb 10th, '13, 15:51

Greetings TeaFriends,

This NOTTI Round 2 features 2 truly incredible and rare Sencha selections.

For brief explanation of what NOTTI is (versus OTTI, NOTTI is NOT an OTTI), see here: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=17639

Sorry, no photos yet. The teas are sealed for freshness, but I will post photos after I open bags.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Re: NOTTI 2 Mystery Uber Sencha

Postby Chip » Feb 10th, '13, 15:55

I do not hesitate to say, NOTTI 2 features 2 incredible, rare selections of Sencha. Again as with NOTTI 1, one is an asamushi, light steamed and one is a fukamushi, deep steamed (but I think not too deep steamed, maybe leaning towards chumushi, mid steamed).

We sampled these at World Tea Expo in June and in then again in October at WTE East. It was tough only offering 2 selections for NOTTI Round 1 as these two are reallllly great, but commitments had already been made for Round 1. In October, these were showing no signs of diminishing, they have been very well taken care of! Might be even better!!!

Kuritawase, an asamushi sencha, was absolutely mind-blowing. The brew was so wonderfully aromatic and vegetal. As the tea was being poured, the aroma filled the air, truly wonderful! As I drew the cup to my lips, the aroma caused me to pause ... I smelled the aroma for several more seconds before finally sipping. Taste was amazing! Certainly a top asamushi for this harvest!

I can only use superlatives to describe Kuritawase, including best asamushi I have tasted for 2112 harvest!!!

Asanoka, a fukamushi sencha, may be a top 2 or 3 I have sampled sampled for 2012 Fukamushi. Very rich, bold, and flavorful ... lots of umami. A bold contrast to Kuritawase. Still, not soupy like most deep steamed sencha ... perhaps this leans towards mid steamed.

And the price is too good to pass up. I consider both the be incredibly good values at these prices which are just over cost. I have tried sencha-s costing much, much more that were not nearly as good. But this is one of the goals of NOTTI, to pass on great TeaDeals to members! BUT the tea has to be great too. They will usually be hard to source selections ... these are very rare selections.

These both are from Kagoshima prefecture in the southern tip of southern island of Kyushu.

Kuritawase is a botanical varietal which has the earliest harvesting among all Japanese bush varieties. With the arrival of Kuritawase, spring comes. As only a limited quantity is produced, most Japanese have never tasted Kuritawase Sencha unless you are from Kagoshima prefecture. Kuritawase is grown only in Kagoshima (as far as I know). It is traditional asamushi sencha- shallow steamed.

Asanoka - made with leaves from 1st flush harvest in late April. This is a fairly new botanical varietal first created in a lab in Kagoshima in 1996. It has absolutely wonderful flavor but it has not yet gained popularity as other varietal such as Saemidori has. this tea is fukamushi (deep steamed ) Sencha."

NOTTI rounds include both selections (I averaged the price out as one selection costs more). They will be bagged in 50 gram foil lined zip seal bags and shipped in a box. You may purchase more than 1 of each.

Priced as follows in USD.

50 grams of each selection, 100 grams total: 25
100 grams of each, 200 grams total: 49
150 grams of each, 300 grams total: 73
200 grams of each, 400 grams total: 96

More? Contact me.

Hm, great gifts for yourself ... or for someone you want to share some fine tea. ;)
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Feb 10th, '13, 15:55

Teas to USA will be shipped USPS Priority Mail for $6 for 100-200 grams of tea. $8 for more.

International will be shipped First Class Parcel unless upgrade is requested (additional cost). 8 USD for Canada and 10 for Europe and 12 for all other including interplanetary. :) Overages of more than a dollar will be refunded to you.

On or after 6 pm today, respond in the usual way to teachatmoderator@yahoo.com
Please provide/confirm the usual information.

Your TeaChat name
Your name
Shipping address
Outside USA, please include your phone number for customs
Your paypal email
AND exactly which weight option you want!

I will then reply with confirmation along with payment info.

OK, hope you can take advantage of this offer. Post or PM any questions you may have.

I expect (and hope as I have paid for and received these sencha) this to sell out quickly, so if interested, please do not hesitate. Email your interest to me at teachatmoderator@yahoo.com including:

Your TeaChat name
Your name
Shipping address
Outside USA, please include your phone number for customs
Your paypal email
AND which weight option you want. 50 each, 100 grams each, 200 each.

I will then send a confirmation along with payment information. (or regrets if you are too late)

In order to participate, you will have to purchase either 50 or 100 grams of each selection.

So, unlike OTTI which features 10 gram samples of around 5 teas, NOTTI will feature 50 or 100 grams of around 2 teas. While reviews are strongly encouraged for OTTI, they will likely be more ... optional for NOTTI.

This topic will be left open for comments or reviews, but no pressure to do so.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Feb 10th, '13, 15:56

Take advantage of the Double Play with OTTI 17 and deduct 5% from your total due to savings in combined shipping.

You must participate in both OTTI 17 and NOTTI 2 to receive the discount.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Feb 10th, '13, 15:57

BREWING!

Kuritawase. This is my personal pick for best asamushi for 2012 harvest! The leaves are not pretty long, perfect needles, but do not judge this book by its cover!!!

This can be brewed rich with a lot of leaf, but I seemed to like a little over the benchmark 1:1 ratio, 1 gram per 1 ounce (30 ml) water. I liked about 1.2 or so grams per 30ml. You have enough to play around how rich you like it.

168-170* (76* C) in a NON preheated kyusu. 90 seconds for the first steep. If you preheat, I would lower the temp for brewing to around 160* and remember to smell the dry warming leaves in the kyusu.

Right after you pour the first steep, stand with your nose a foot or so above the open kyusu and poured brew and smell. I love how this tea is very aromatic and will fill the air with incredible veggie aroma!!! Try closing your eyes which will heighten your sense of smell.

This selection has a lot of nuances that I think will continue to surprise you each time you brew. Sometimes I pick up hints of cinnamon, sometimes fleeting floral ... BUT veggie is usually quite up front.

I brew 5 steeps increasing temp a little each time.

2nd 20-30 seconds

3rd 60 seconds

and so on ...

Asanoka. This is not an ultra deep steamed selection. So do not expect "swamp water fukamushi." The brew is lighter and mellow sweet compared to most fuka with interesting nuances as well.

Again I go a little over 1:1, around 1.1 or 1.2:1.

I liked this brewed a little cooler, 160-165* (71-74* C) in a non preheated kyusu.

Again I go 5 steeps.

OK, I will be anxious to hear your impressions.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Feb 10th, '13, 18:40

... tick tock, the topics go live in 20 minutes at which time the topics will be unlocked!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Feb 10th, '13, 19:00

... and we're live! :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Feb 10th, '13, 19:13

Got it!

A brisk start ... now a lull. 8) Some new faces at the virtual TeaChat TeaTastingTable. And still plenty of room!

I should have mentioned ... if you are doing both NOTTI and OTTI, add both the your email subject. If you did not, don't worry, I will figure it out.

Also, if you emailed your participation for one, you can add the other tasting in another email.

... is there an echo? ...
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby sherubtse » Feb 10th, '13, 19:37

Very interesting NOTTI, Chip! 8)

I am especially interested in the Kuritawase.

Can you provide more info about the manufacturer / grower of each selection?

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
sherubtse

Postby Chip » Feb 10th, '13, 19:44

Sure. I will endeavor to obtain some information and post it on Monday.

The Kuritawase is a "sleeper" in that it is a virtual unknown ... otherwise I would likely not have been able to obtain it since it is a very small production.

Everytime I sample this, I notice more nuances ... sometimes it is completely different from the last tasting the day before.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Hannah » Feb 10th, '13, 19:53

This sounds amazing!! Email sent! :P
Hannah

Postby Running for Tea » Feb 10th, '13, 20:00

sherubtse wrote:I am especially interested in the Kuritawase.

Can you provide more info about the manufacturer / grower of each selection?

+1

Chip wrote:The Kuritawase is a "sleeper" in that it is a virtual unknown ... otherwise I would likely not have been able to obtain it since it is a very small production.

I like the sound of that! I'm excited to try this tea!
Running for Tea

Postby Devoted135 » Feb 10th, '13, 20:03

Sounds awesome! :)
Devoted135

Postby Chip » Feb 10th, '13, 20:05

Thanks ... so far everyone is "in."

Please be patient for the reply to your email which will come sometime tonight.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby sherubtse » Feb 10th, '13, 20:07

Any chance of getting just 1 selection, Chip? :roll:

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
sherubtse

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions