Feb 12th, '13, 17:58

Ongoing online finds

by teaisme » Feb 12th, '13, 17:58

Thought I might start posting some nice things I found/find, that others may be interested in bidding/buying on

Storage containers...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ChingWenArts-ST ... 3f220d0a24

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ChingWenArts-ST ... 3f220d0cc4

saucer set
http://www.etsy.com/listing/115106539/v ... xp_listing

kaishi paper napkins
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-TEA-CE ... 2327d12b20

good cups
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Japanes ... 4ac13228d3

(1 day left on those cups $4 a piece is nice price)

Feb 12th, '13, 19:51

Re: Ongoing online finds

by AdamMY » Feb 12th, '13, 19:51

While some might appreciate this others might hate this. You have to keep in mind those who are not out there looking might like you bringing these to there attention, but for things that are actual bidding purchases like non buy it now from Ebay, you may really piss people off if they found it, and bid on it, then you post it and they end up losing ( especially if they lose to a member on Teachat that found it thanks to this).

I don't mean to sound exactly like a lone wolf, back stabbing person, but usually pointing people to items is best done if you know they are looking for that particular item. Even further it should often be done in a non open space on the forum, the Chat is borderline ( and I know I am guilty of posting things on the chat, such as a recent Seigan Ice Split Yunomi which I linked to the day Mago posted it). Again I am not saying we need to hoard every great thing we find, and even if we have no intent of purchasing it we shouldn't share it with someone looking for that exact item, but rather that it's a fine line you are attempting to walk.

In the case of items where there are multiple items, and it is not an auction, then there is far less of an issue. Because then it really is first come first serve, and you are not potentially driving up the price for members of teachat by sharing it.

Feb 12th, '13, 20:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 12th, '13, 20:51

As much as I am certain of the good intentions of teaisme, I have to agree with Adam on this ... for more "one off" type items and one of a kind ebay type auctions. As much as I like TeaChat being an open forum, this unfortunately immediately rubbed me the wrong way. And please do not take offense, teaisme ... I am simply expressing apprehension based upon personal experience.

Perhaps because I have already been in the position where I searched, found, watched, and earnestly bid on a "one of a kind item" on ebay ... but a well meaning member sort of randomly posted a "hey, lookee here, isn't this da bombe" on the forum, and it seemingly drove the price up.

And since we are buyers, this does not work in our best interests. IMHO.

I have often considered posting similarly, but then decided not to.

Anyway, this does not violate forum rules, but it could upset members who lose out despite doing the homework to locate an item ... while on the flipside, you may make someone happy who just happens to read your posts.

Feb 12th, '13, 21:01

by Drax » Feb 12th, '13, 21:01

I have tended to post about auction items after they've ended, for the very reasons you've described.

In fact, that reminds me that I wanted to ask a question about one that just ended.... I'll go make that topic separately.

Feb 13th, '13, 13:47

by teaisme » Feb 13th, '13, 13:47

you all make good points, the idea others might be stealthily watching the auction ones temporary slipped my mind when I created this topic, I was just trying to save tea enthusiasts some time :D

so to save anyone any potential heartache I will only post things I find that are buy it now or at a set price like those saucers and storage jars, no more on-going auctions, bid or no bid. :mrgreen:

Glad someone liked those saucers on etsy :D

Feb 13th, '13, 15:00

by Chip » Feb 13th, '13, 15:00

teaisme wrote:Glad someone liked those saucers on etsy :D
I bet it was a TCer! :idea: :!: :mrgreen:

Feb 13th, '13, 21:03
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 13th, '13, 21:03

Feel free to PM me with deals on Chinese teaware. :lol:

Feb 13th, '13, 22:49

by Hannah » Feb 13th, '13, 22:49

Same here!!! :D

Feb 14th, '13, 14:40

by teaisme » Feb 14th, '13, 14:40

:lol:

I'll keep my eyes :shock:

Feb 14th, '13, 17:25

by teaisme » Feb 14th, '13, 17:25

some nice sencha cups for cheap , think the pics are not so good, these will look a lot nicer in person
http://www.etsy.com/listing/120013356/j ... bluewhite4?

handsome lacquer tray and tea caddy at a good price

http://www.etsy.com/listing/123400299/v ... pe=vintage

I feel that $40 is a very good deal for something like these? anyone with more experience with these lacquer wares concur?

Feb 14th, '13, 20:18

by Chip » Feb 14th, '13, 20:18

I strongly suspect that the tray/canister set is lacquer over plastic ... or maybe even simply plastic with painting.

Often you are not told by a seller ... and even when they say wood, it often turns out to be plastic. This is true especially of Western sellers who sell a wide range of items from various countries.

You really have to watch the description even from reputable Japanese vendors as it is often what they do not say that is most important. For instance, if they say lacquerware ... with no mention of wood, this usually means plastic, resin, whatever you want to call it ...

Obviously, lacquered wood is more desirable to the collector and user ... unless you are simply buying it regardless. Flawless wood lacqueware can be quite pricey. Plastic can be quite cheap. This set is cheap.

Feb 15th, '13, 13:01

by futurebird » Feb 15th, '13, 13:01

With etsy, it's best to ask. If the product isn't as described (and you have it clearly in writing) they are really good about refunds.

+ Post Reply