2001 CNNP Sheng from Norbu

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 15th, '13, 17:58

2001 CNNP Sheng from Norbu

by Joel Byron » Feb 15th, '13, 17:58

I just got a sample of the 2001 CNNP sheng from Norbu tea and it's the first pu-erh I've actually liked. I'd tried some different shu's and a few cheaper younger shengs but none of them really did it for me. Some were awful.

I'm brewing in a 100ml gaiwan with enough tea to fill up the gaiwan almost to the top after they expand. Gong fu style.

There are some of the flavors I've experienced before with pu-erh but they are balanced and not overpowering. There are a lot of different flavors going on. There are the earthy flavors that I have not enjoyed until now, there are fruit flavors, talcum powder or maybe linen, and the latest one is anise or licorice. Not much astringency or bitterness at all. I'm on steeping 10 or 11, not sure, been drinking it since this morning.

Any recommendations from you experienced drinkers? I could buy a cake of this, but I'm wondering if there is something tastier in the same price range.

Feb 16th, '13, 09:20

Re: 2001 CNNP Sheng from Norbu

by gasninja » Feb 16th, '13, 09:20

Are you referring to the red label cnnp cake still available on his site?

If so I have had this one. I liked it but not $120 dollars liked it. I also have a few cakes that ae similar to this.
If you are looking for something with an aged taste you could try thishttp://www.essenceoftea.co.uk/tea/puerh ... label.html
It has more mature taste and mouthfeel than norbu's cake but doesn't have much in the way of complex flavor or durability.

Feb 16th, '13, 09:22

by gasninja » Feb 16th, '13, 09:22

I guess I just assumed you where looking for some thing older. But if you are just looking for Puerh in general there is a ton of stuff tastier in that price range.

Feb 16th, '13, 11:00

by Joel Byron » Feb 16th, '13, 11:00

Thanks gasninja,

Yes I was referring to the red label on the site. I'm looking to expand my knowledge of sheng pu-erh in general. Older seems more to my taste, but if there are younger shengs that are good I'm interested. I may order a sample of the yellow label from EOT.

+ Post Reply