Differences

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Feb 18th, '13, 16:02

Differences

by drone1952 » Feb 18th, '13, 16:02

The first question a beginner:
Can you tell me if there are differences between black Russian tea and black Chinese tea?
Thanks
George

Feb 18th, '13, 19:15
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Differences

by Chip » Feb 18th, '13, 19:15

First off, welcome to TeaChat.

There are many many forms of Chinese Black tea from many different regions of China.

Russian (Caravan) tea is usually some form of smokey black that has some historisity linked to it, though likely not much real application today. Often the tea had a smokey character.

Today it is usually blended with black teas from other tea growing countries. Looking at a google search would certainly add to the confusion about Russian Caravan.

Feb 18th, '13, 19:39

by Evan Draper » Feb 18th, '13, 19:39

A more generous interpretation of George's question might be, how do the cultivars of tea grown in the former Soviet republics differ from those of Chinese red tea? But I don't know the answer....

Feb 18th, '13, 20:40
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Feb 18th, '13, 20:40

In terms of brewing method and forms of tea, there is little commonness between Russian black tea and Chinese black tea.
Russia black tea used to be mostly imported from China. But nowadays the largest export countries to Russia are Sri Lanka, India and Kenya. So in terms of tea cultivars and taste profiles, maybe it can be a comparison between Ceylon and Chinese black teas?

Feb 18th, '13, 23:21

by Teaism » Feb 18th, '13, 23:21

Chip wrote:First off, welcome to TeaChat.

Russian (Caravan) tea is usually some form of smokey black that has some historisity linked to it, though likely not much real application today. Often the tea had a smokey character.

In the past, the smoky black tea in Russia is from Wuyi call Lapsang Sauchong. I have a Russian friend who is really crazy over this tea. Some times we butter-trade this tea with the lovely Russian wild honey. The name Lapsang Sauchong is from Chinese word of Chen Shan Xiao Chong literally translated meaning as Real Mountain Small Type ( Small Type refer to the tippy leaf). The smokiness comes from burning of the native pine tree leaves to dry the tea leaves. It was discovered by accident, just like the botrytis wine, when the soldier came to celebrate victory, the tea leaves are dried in a hurry by burning pine leaves, and the rest is history. This tea is rare now as the base is use for producing the Jin Ju Mei tea which cost thousands per kilo. Lapsang Sauchong is a great tea for smoking food too, some great cold smoked duck is smoked with this tea.

The are some other good black tea in China like Qi Men Hei Cha ( Kumming Black Tea). Most black can be aged beautifully if kept in airtight canister.

Cheers!

Feb 19th, '13, 03:24

by drone1952 » Feb 19th, '13, 03:24

Thank you all.
All started 30 years ago when I bought Kakuzo Okakura's book "The Book of Tea", at that time Romania was communist. At that time in country were only Russian and Chinezesti tea. The reasons why I started my posts with this question.
My posts will attempt to clarify Questions that I did not have answers.

George

Feb 19th, '13, 05:47
Vendor Member

by ethan » Feb 19th, '13, 05:47

teaism, I never encountered the term "butter-trade" before. Means?

(I'll also look it up, but I am guessing it is an unique teaswap term.)

Feb 19th, '13, 09:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 19th, '13, 09:27

Come to think of it, I received a sample of Georgian (sp?) tea 4ish years ago ... I had a weird feeling about it and never tried it. 8) In fact, I still have it. I received it in a sample tin that was taped shut, I never even broke the seal! :?

Feb 19th, '13, 09:44

by Teaism » Feb 19th, '13, 09:44

ethan wrote:teaism, I never encountered the term "butter-trade" before. Means?

(I'll also look it up, but I am guessing it is an unique teaswap term.)
Hi Ethan,

I am not sure the origin of this term but it is widely use in Asia. It means exchanging one item with another item without monetary transaction between parties. In my earlier post context, I exchange my Lapsang Sauchong with my friend's Russian wild honey.

Cheers!

Feb 21st, '13, 07:01

by drone1952 » Feb 21st, '13, 07:01

For the moment my favorite is Darjeeling tea. Certainly not say no to a Ceylon tea.
My little collection of tea but do not know how to post.
Attachments
phpECXJ3rAM.jpg
phpECXJ3rAM.jpg (11.13 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
phpMiBUDXAM.jpg
phpMiBUDXAM.jpg (12.51 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
phpZUdgwSAM.jpg
phpZUdgwSAM.jpg (10.37 KiB) Viewed 3392 times

Feb 26th, '13, 06:55

by SlientSipper » Feb 26th, '13, 06:55

I always say, try them out for yourself to best understand.

but, the responses here seem to cover it well.

+ Post Reply