Feb 18th, '13, 09:52

Where to buy the best quality Chinese green tea from?

by Vertigo » Feb 18th, '13, 09:52

Hi all,

I am looking to buy really high quality Chinese green tea...I am told Chinese green tea has higher health benefits than Japanese green tea.
So anyway...I bought some tea from imperial teas...Their highest quality available...But was not that impressed...Lots of dust in the tea :(
I also tried amazing green tea...Again...Not that impressed/
I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other vendors that sell really good Chinese green tea?

Thanks!

Feb 18th, '13, 10:07

Re: Where to buy the best quality Chinese green tea from?

by Evan Draper » Feb 18th, '13, 10:07

Vertigo wrote:I am told Chinese green tea has higher health benefits than Japanese green tea.
Who told you that, a Chinese green tea vendor? I'd stick with the Ippodo, and regular doctor's visits.

Feb 18th, '13, 10:25

by chado.my.teaway » Feb 18th, '13, 10:25

Feb 18th, '13, 10:39

by Vertigo » Feb 18th, '13, 10:39

So japanese tea has higher health benefits?
Any other vendors please?

Thanks

Feb 18th, '13, 12:07

by Fabien » Feb 18th, '13, 12:07

There's another possibility : none of them has better health benefits than the other. Or, saying it differently; both of them are good for health as long as they are associated with a healthy way of living (food, physical activity, no smoking, limited alcohol, etc...).
No less, no more.
If tea (or anything else) was the answer to all health problems, it would be world wide known!

That said, tea is rather a healthy beverage and rather than japanese vs chinese, you should try to find serious vendors selling well preserved teas that were grown with no or low pesticides/fertilizers.

There are japanese tea producers using a lot of chemicals, chinese farmers that grow organically and vice-versa. I don't think you can make a clear statement on whether one is "better" than the other.

For sellers, I think that http://www.thes-du-japon.com/ and Ippodo are highly thought around here.
And remember that there's so much more in tea than the real or alleged health benefits!
Enjoy...

Feb 18th, '13, 12:15

by Teaism » Feb 18th, '13, 12:15

Not a good time to hunt for green tea now. Good to wait for the next early spring harvest in March/April.

Cheers!

Feb 18th, '13, 12:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 18th, '13, 12:47

Teaism wrote:Not a good time to hunt for green tea now. Good to wait for the next early spring harvest in March/April.

Cheers!
Definitely, unless you are just looking for something to hold you over.

Generally speaking, by this time of the year Chinese greens seem to have faded much more so than Japanese greens ... the Japanese have storage down to a science.

Feb 19th, '13, 02:01

by etorix » Feb 19th, '13, 02:01

best supplier ive found for early Chinese greens is http://www.teaspring.com/green-tea.asp

Feb 19th, '13, 02:25

by tenuki » Feb 19th, '13, 02:25

etorix wrote:best supplier ive found for early Chinese greens is http://www.teaspring.com/green-tea.asp
+1 for teaspring. There are other more expensive vendors, but teaspring is fairly reliable and a good value. I tend to mostly luck out locally nowadays but I opened a two+ year old Chinese green from teaspring the other day and it was pretty darn delicious.

Feb 19th, '13, 05:17

by Teaism » Feb 19th, '13, 05:17

Chip wrote:
Teaism wrote:Not a good time to hunt for green tea now. Good to wait for the next early spring harvest in March/April.

Cheers!

Generally speaking, by this time of the year Chinese greens seem to have faded much more so than Japanese greens ... the Japanese have storage down to a science.
I was told 70% of Japanese tea is farmed and process in China and sent to Japan for finishing touch and re-export as Japanese tea. The gardens are run by Japanese and highly mechanized. Urban legend? :roll:

Feb 19th, '13, 09:23

by Chip » Feb 19th, '13, 09:23

Teaism wrote:
Chip wrote:

Cheers!

I was told 70% of Japanese tea is farmed and process in China and sent to Japan for finishing touch and re-export as Japanese tea. The gardens are run by Japanese and highly mechanized. Urban legend? :roll:
You just blew my freakin' mind ... :shock:

Actually, I have heard this goes on, and I believe it does for some lower end teas. After all, one "grower" grows his sencha in South America to cut corners.

Once again, know your vendor! Be willing to ask question in a courteous yet firm manner.

Feb 19th, '13, 09:25

by Chip » Feb 19th, '13, 09:25

tenuki wrote:
etorix wrote:best supplier ive found for early Chinese greens is http://www.teaspring.com/green-tea.asp
+1 for teaspring. There are other more expensive vendors, but teaspring is fairly reliable and a good value. I tend to mostly luck out locally nowadays but I opened a two+ year old Chinese green from teaspring the other day and it was pretty darn delicious.
I used to buy a lot from TeaSpring when I drank almost all Chinese greens. A great source that I will revisit.

Feb 19th, '13, 10:03

by JRS22 » Feb 19th, '13, 10:03

Another top source of Chinese greens is Seven Cups in the USA. They have very close working relationships with their sources so when they label a tea organic I trust them.

Feb 19th, '13, 10:50

by edkrueger » Feb 19th, '13, 10:50

I didn't see that anyone mentioned Norbu and Jing. Their greens are alright. Teaspring is borderline for me. Haven't tried 5-star. The others I would not recommend.

+ Post Reply