Feb 20th, '13, 14:37

A kettle different from any you've seen before!

by Panda » Feb 20th, '13, 14:37

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share this really cool kettle I found online =) I wouldn't mind having one in my kitchen!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/291580/

Last edited by Panda on Feb 21st, '13, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 20th, '13, 21:34
Scrolling: fixed

Re: A kettle different from any you've seen before!

by TomVerlain » Feb 20th, '13, 21:34

Cool concept - they have a long way to go though and the price point is a bit high. Hits alot of the points people want when they describe what they want in a tea kettle.

Feb 20th, '13, 22:27

by debunix » Feb 20th, '13, 22:27

Very interesting. I'd like more control over the temp--lowest temp down to no more than 140 and at a minimum 10 degree increments up to boiling. But with that fixed I'd be ready to check one out for reasons of smaller footprint in tight spaces, easier cleaning, easier handling, and sleek appearance, fewer moving parts (no plastic hinges to break, or plastic handles for that matter) and general coolness.

Feb 20th, '13, 22:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 20th, '13, 22:58

Coinkeedeenky, Chris Fitzhugh joined the forum today. :wink:

Feb 20th, '13, 23:35

by Chip » Feb 20th, '13, 23:35

I am curious whether each of the double walls are 1/8" thick or the total wall thickness is 1/8"? And therefore how thick are each of the double wall layers?

Having owned the double thin walled cups, I am also aware how easily they can fail.

Feb 21st, '13, 17:25

by futurebird » Feb 21st, '13, 17:25

I'm in. I hope they make their goal. I don't have any temp control, and I've been thinking of trying something like this.

I'll post about how it all goes. (I signed up for beta testing because I like to live on the edge!)

Feb 22nd, '13, 11:25

by Panda » Feb 22nd, '13, 11:25

futurebird wrote:I'm in. I hope they make their goal. I don't have any temp control, and I've been thinking of trying something like this.

I'll post about how it all goes. (I signed up for beta testing because I like to live on the edge!)
I'm in the same boat! I've been getting by with a $15 Rival kettle that doesn't even have an on/off switch, let along temperature control. I thought it was time to consider upgrading :)

Feb 22nd, '13, 17:50

by Drax » Feb 22nd, '13, 17:50

Definitely neat looking, but there's no way they're going to hit their goal at this rate. . .

(Edit: fix a typo).
Last edited by Drax on Feb 22nd, '13, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 22nd, '13, 18:55

by Panda » Feb 22nd, '13, 18:55

Drax wrote:Definitely neat looking, but there's no way there's going to hit their goal at this rate. . .
:( I'm bummed it hasn't been going better. I guess tea enthusiasts are just too small a fraction of the population.

Feb 23rd, '13, 00:42

by Poohblah » Feb 23rd, '13, 00:42

Panda wrote:
Drax wrote:Definitely neat looking, but there's no way there's going to hit their goal at this rate. . .
:( I'm bummed it hasn't been going better. I guess tea enthusiasts are just too small a fraction of the population.
To be fair, I don't think this kettle is particularly appealing to tea enthusiasts. I think something like this or these or even this would be much more appealing to tea lovers, for a variety of different reasons.

Feb 23rd, '13, 07:38

by Drax » Feb 23rd, '13, 07:38

Poohblah wrote:To be fair, I don't think this kettle is particularly appealing to tea enthusiasts.
I can think for myself, thank you very much.

I would enjoy a kettle like this one to use at work, much for the reasons that debunix mentioned. And on a personal preference note, I don't like the look of the ones that you linked, other than the tetsubin -- but I don't want to have one of those at work, because I'd need a hotplate, too.

Feb 23rd, '13, 13:51

by futurebird » Feb 23rd, '13, 13:51

Poohblah wrote:
Panda wrote:
To be fair, I don't think this kettle is particularly appealing to tea enthusiasts. I think something like this or these or even this would be much more appealing to tea lovers, for a variety of different reasons.

I like the first two, but I don't have a stove at work, I need a self-heating kettle. The last one isn't beautiful enough. I mean it's functional, but beauty is a thing for me. I like either classic looks or nice clean modernism.

I do think there is a market for this kettle, but I fear the price point is just a bit too high. If it were $120 I think it'd go much better for them.

Feb 23rd, '13, 16:11

by Stentor » Feb 23rd, '13, 16:11

It seems to be trying too hard to be a design object rather than being good at what it's supposed to be used for. The pour is going to be terrible on that thing. I don't think this is a good product design at all (I'm not saying that it looks bad).
Unfortunately, there is no perfect modern kettle on the market. I wonder why. It can't be that hard to make one that would be well received and profitable.

Feb 24th, '13, 17:47

by Hannah » Feb 24th, '13, 17:47

I must have this and I don't know why.... :shock:

Feb 24th, '13, 19:22

by Hannah » Feb 24th, '13, 19:22

I have this one currently:
http://www.breville.com.au/beverages/te ... ettle.html

But this one looks perfect for work or even having in a smaller tea room rather than the kitchen.
I think the pour would be OK in the final version, I wouldnt stress too much over it though, I can get by with dodgy pour :P

It's a pity I don't have $200 to burn or I would be all over this.. :D

+ Post Reply