TeaChat Instant Messenger

If we've got something important to say, you'll hear it here first.

What are your thoughts on TeaChat IM?

Poll ended at Sep 26th, '05, 12:58

My life would be meaningless without it
29%
It's kinda cool, but pointless
65%
I used it once and it was lame
No votes
What IM feature?
6%

Total votes: 17

Sep 12th, '05, 12:56
Adagio

TeaChat Instant Messenger

by ilya » Sep 12th, '05, 12:56

As many of you have seen, we have added an Instant Messenger feature to TeaChat. We may use it as a jumping off point to a real-time chat page in the future, but are still debating that.

As always any thoughts/suggestions/ideas are appreciated.

Sep 12th, '05, 22:03

Re: TeaChat Instant Messenger

by Ric » Sep 12th, '05, 22:03

ilya wrote:As many of you have seen, we have added an Instant Messenger feature to TeaChat. We may use it as a jumping off point to a real-time chat page in the future, but are still debating that.

As always any thoughts/suggestions/ideas are appreciated.
I voted for "It's kinda cool, but pointless" because there is never enough people here to make use of the IM.

Maybe sooner or later when more people join TeaChat the IM will be more useful. Keep it there for it may keep some posters here. :)
In God's Grace,
Ric

Sep 13th, '05, 11:46

by robert » Sep 13th, '05, 11:46

I think it's fun. Spent some time in there yesterday afternoon and last night for a bit as well. :D
robert

Sep 13th, '05, 18:37

by Dronak » Sep 13th, '05, 18:37

I voted for kind of cool, but pointless. It seems to be a good outlet for off-topic conversation, but for tea talk, the board serves the purpose. Trying to do tea chat in the IM isn't especially effective unless at least one other person is around to talk with. And even if people are around, they may not use the IM. Plus the IMs seem to get cleared out eventually (after 2 hours?), so unless you can get a response quickly from people online, you're better off posting to the board.

I think the IM might get more use if there were some set time for chatting. Not like you'd deactivate it all other times, just that there's some meeting time for chatting. If we all know that there's a planned chat session at say 8pm (state the time zone) every day, more people might make an effort to be around and chat if they're interested. I've come by when there's like 1 other person around, sometimes none. The chat's almost useless then. That's why I think scheduled chats might help give it more use.

Sep 13th, '05, 21:11

by PeteVu » Sep 13th, '05, 21:11

id like to see a real chat room in a new window with alot more space. somehow ive formed an interest of the lives of the other regulars. chatting about nothing while posting about tea is entertaining.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Sep 15th, '05, 16:15

by funcrunch » Sep 15th, '05, 16:15

I'm using Safari and the IM tends to send my messages before I hit return - maybe Safari is not fully compatible with the Javascript used. I'll have to try Firefox...

Sep 15th, '05, 16:20
Adagio

safari

by ilya » Sep 15th, '05, 16:20

We are still working the bugs out of TeaChat IM, but i know it works with FireFox on the Mac (that's out development platform).

Sep 15th, '05, 16:24

by funcrunch » Sep 15th, '05, 16:24

I normally do use Firefox but I started using Safari because of the great RSS features. Also so I can do my personal web browsing in a different browser and quickly switch back to my "real" work in FFox if the boss walks by. :wink:

+ Post Reply