Matcha - Better Way To Make It?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 22nd, '13, 14:59

Re: Matcha - Better Way To Make It?

by beforewisdom » Feb 22nd, '13, 14:59

Poohblah wrote: republic of tea, as far as I've sampled, doesn't even taste like there's tea in their products... it's pretty bad. Just a lot of marketing fluff
Useful opinion. I haven't tried many of their things and I am not knowledgeable about many teas. The fancy canisters and prices had me thinking they were a little bit better than other easily available teas.

LOL, I just have to find a way to finish the matcha I still have. I will probably go with the earlier suggestion of mixing it into warm almond milk with some sugar.

Feb 22nd, '13, 16:40

by Poohblah » Feb 22nd, '13, 16:40

beforewisdom wrote:
Poohblah wrote: republic of tea, as far as I've sampled, doesn't even taste like there's tea in their products... it's pretty bad. Just a lot of marketing fluff
Useful opinion. I haven't tried many of their things and I am not knowledgeable about many teas. The fancy canisters and prices had me thinking they were a little bit better than other easily available teas.

LOL, I just have to find a way to finish the matcha I still have. I will probably go with the earlier suggestion of mixing it into warm almond milk with some sugar.
Sounds like an almond matcha latte to me... one of many things that can taste good with culinary-grade matcha. Another one of my favorites is green tea ice cream :D

Feb 22nd, '13, 16:47

by entropyembrace » Feb 22nd, '13, 16:47

beforewisdom wrote:I bought matcha from the brand "The Republic of Tea"
ok...solution...dump RoT matcha in your compost pile, buy new matcha Poohblah gave good links but to narrow things down for you try this matcha from O-cha: http://www.o-cha.com/green-tea/uji-matcha-kiri.html

it's a nice sweet matcha that is very friendly for beginners :)

Feb 22nd, '13, 17:34

by JBaymore » Feb 22nd, '13, 17:34

edkrueger wrote:In chanoyu, no cooling vessel is used. I think sometimes a bit of water is added from the mizusashi to the chagama right before the matcha is made. Someone who knows more will probably have more information.
Yup....... a scoop of cold water from the mizusashi (fresh water container) is poured into the chagama (kettle) just before then drawing the scoop of water (about 2/3 of which) that is going to be poured into the Chawan with the matcha in it.

So in actual Chanoyu..... the water is typically not cooled all that much.... just a tiny hint off of a low simmering boil on the charcoal or the electric heater.

GOOD matcha is like not a cheap habit to have........ expensive. Like drugs. (Come to think of it.... with all the caffiene..... it IS drugs.) :lol:

best,

.................john

Feb 22nd, '13, 19:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Running for Tea » Feb 22nd, '13, 19:45

entropyembrace wrote:
ok...solution...dump RoT matcha in your compost pile, buy new matcha Poohblah gave good links but to narrow things down for you try this matcha from O-cha: http://www.o-cha.com/green-tea/uji-matcha-kiri.html

I second this recommendation. This was my first matcha (by way of Teachat guidance), and I enoyed it. There is a noticable increase in quality and taste from the cheap matcha.

Feb 23rd, '13, 00:47

by Poohblah » Feb 23rd, '13, 00:47

entropyembrace wrote:

Thanks for the specific recommendation ee!

+ Post Reply