Ripe pu-erh with "herbal" taste

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 24th, '13, 00:41

Ripe pu-erh with "herbal" taste

by dilettantea » Feb 24th, '13, 00:41

A few months ago I tried a sample of DTH's "Premium Loose Pu-erh" that I bought in an assortment of other teas. It had a taste that I might tentatively describe as "chinese herbs" (Other descriptions that approximate my perception of this flavour might include: medicinal, sarsaparilla, root beer) Since then I have tasted samples of many different ripe teas from
Dayi and have not encountered that kind of flavour note again. It was a taste I found intriguing and enjoyable. Does anybody know which teas (from Dayi or other brands) offer this kind of taste profile? Is it only found in premium grade tea ( "Royal" grades, Gong Ting ect)? I have often heard references to this kind of flavour in this forum and elsewhere so it is unlikely to be a rarity. But which grades/brands/recipes/factories reliably develop this herbal taste in ripe pu-erh?

Feb 24th, '13, 02:04

Re: Ripe pu-erh with "herbal" taste

by shah82 » Feb 24th, '13, 02:04

Dragon Teahouse does not sell a loose tea as "Premium Loose Pu-erh". Think you will need to be more specific than that.

Feb 24th, '13, 02:23

by dilettantea » Feb 24th, '13, 02:23

The tea I refer to was part of their "5 Types Assorted Premium Tea Trial Value Pack". http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Types-Asso ... 3379bbaa15

Feb 24th, '13, 07:17

by ChengduCha » Feb 24th, '13, 07:17

If you brew medium quality shu pu very strongly it's usually either a cocoa / 85%+ chocolate taste and/or medicinal.

This cheap YS mini cake kinda fits the profile, although the taste is not strongly medicinal http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... oduct=2074

I have tasted very strongly medicinal shu pu, however it was usually loose and from unknown origins.

+ Post Reply