Introduction (sorry if it's long winded)

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Feb 21st, '13, 19:43

Introduction (sorry if it's long winded)

by The_Cats_Pajamas » Feb 21st, '13, 19:43

Hello all from St. Louis...

I've been researching and trying different teas for about a year now however, the more that I try and study online the more overwhelmed and confused I become. I've read these forums on and off for a couple of months now and still do not understand many things (read: anything) and of course, questions lead to more questions!

I drank Lipton tea bags on and off for the better part of 10 years. Like many others, Teavana sparked my interest in the loose leaf tea world and the rest is history. Unfortunately I began to quickly despise Teavana for their sales tactics and lack of knowledge about questions that I was asking. I also knew there had to be something better out there that was just as easy to buy that wasn't a "mall" novelty at "mall" prices. Boy was I right!

So I took to the intrawebs to research anything and everything I could on my own about many different teas. Originally focusing on Oolong as it was my first love and all(and subsequently most interested in) I quickly realized the Tea world is so large and so diverse it would take a year to understand. Little did I know that was and still is a very daunting task a year later lol.

I found Teachat a while ago and it has been a very good source of information from an independent party(s) perspective. Unfortunately there is so much here to read and is usually from people who are much more advanced in tea knowledge than me. So I decided to finally break my silence and join.

So.... a small introduction:

How long have you been drinking tea?

Loose leaf tea for about 1 year. Started at Teavana, quickly moved on. I have purchased every other tea from Sevencups.com and have been very satisfied, that's why i haven't ventured out. Ironically as much as I love them I have nothing to compare them too!

What was your first Tea?

First loose leaf tea was Monkey Picked Oolong from Teavana, and I must admit it was great.

What is your favorite Tea currently?

I am a huge Oolong fan, but really love Green tea as well. I am currently enjoying a few different teas but my current favorite is Seven Cups Meng Ding Gan Lu (Sweet Dew) 2012 Organic Green Tea.

What is your next purchase?

Not sure, most likely some kind of Anxi Oolong and one or two new types. Also a proper apparatus to brew with.

Where is your favorite spot to brew up?

Anywhere I can, though I have ever only brewed in my kitchen using the Teavana Perfect Tea maker 16 oz. (Which i have no clue if it's good but I love it.) I use this for all my different varieties of teas... is this bad?

Feb 21st, '13, 19:51

Re: Introduction (sorry if it's long winded)

by The_Cats_Pajamas » Feb 21st, '13, 19:51

Currently I am drinking (all from Seven Cups):

Meng Ding Gan Lu
(Sweet Dew) 2012 Organic Green Tea

Huang Zhi Xiang
(Yellow Sprig) 2011 Dan Cong Wulong Tea

Wang Zhe Zhi Xiang
(Emporero's Orchid) 2012 Secented Tea

Bai Hao Yin Zhen
(Silver Needle) 2012 Organic White Tea

Mo Gan Huang Ya
(Mo Gan Yellow Buds)
2012 Organic Yellow Tea

and just finished:

Yin Hao Long Zhu
(Silver Dragon Jasmine Pearls) Scented Tea 2011

Feb 21st, '13, 22:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 21st, '13, 22:51

Which seven cups are you drinking from? :wink:

Ah yes, another Teavana grad!

Welcome to the forum ... and of course I am hoping to see you around the forum!

Feb 21st, '13, 22:55

by BioHorn » Feb 21st, '13, 22:55

Ohhh, you already seem to be so far down the rabbit hole! You have come to the right place. Welcome!

Feb 24th, '13, 11:30

by yalokinh » Feb 24th, '13, 11:30

Lol my story is almost identical to yours. Also moved quickly from teavana. Seven cups is great! Loved the huang zhi xiang they have.
What your brewing vessel is doesnt really matter as long as it the end result is good. But my favorite vessel is the gaiwan, just because they are fun and versatile.

Feb 24th, '13, 13:56

by amaranto » Feb 24th, '13, 13:56

I drink a lot of Seven Cups, too. I've always really enjoyed their teas. Have you checked out the videos on their website?

Welcome!

+ Post Reply