Oolong vessels

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Feb 24th, '13, 13:55

Oolong vessels

by Suutej_Tsaj » Feb 24th, '13, 13:55

I'm about to make my first big order of oolong and while I'm at it I'd like to purchase a nice teapot to brew it correctly. Do they differ from common teapots? It is better to look at size, material or both? Also, any tip on online vendors is highly appreciated, since I'm kind of forced to buy teaware from abroad.

Feb 24th, '13, 14:14

Re: Oolong vessels

by amaranto » Feb 24th, '13, 14:14

I've always used a porcelain gaiwan with great results, though I'm currently searching for a good yixing pot to season. I did a little research and got a high-fired pot with thinner walls for lighter-roasted oolongs. It is dua ni clay, though I really just bought this type of clay because it looked nice—it appears some people don't like it for various reasons. I guess we'll see if it's any good when it gets here.

I bought my gaiwan from Red Blossom, but I believe you can get the same quality for a bit cheaper at many other places. My dua ni pot is from Sample Tea.

I have a zisha pot that takes all the taste out of Tie Guan Yins, but it has proven useful for rounding out the taste of Shui Xian oolongs. I believe I've seen some small ceramic pots that people use for oolongs, too.

Feb 25th, '13, 01:14

by yalokinh » Feb 25th, '13, 01:14

I got my gaiwan for $10 on ebay.
90ml, thin walled, yixin with ceramic glaze inside so the has no purpose besides looks. Its taller than it is wide, so it fits very comfortable in the hand.
Best gaiwan ive ever bought, susprising considering the price.
Although ive been eye-ing a gaiwan on red blossom by ju de xia.
Thats why i love gaiwans!
So versatile, no matter the price

Feb 25th, '13, 13:15

by amaranto » Feb 25th, '13, 13:15

Yeah, I agree with you about the versatility of gaiwans. They're my go-to when I'm having issues with other teaware (just broke my chahai and am using my gaiwan as a replacement :D), they look nice, and they can be cheap.

Feb 25th, '13, 17:37

by yalokinh » Feb 25th, '13, 17:37

lol, I use mine as a cup.
Nothing against yixings, I just prefer gaiwans

Mar 1st, '13, 14:50

by yalokinh » Mar 1st, '13, 14:50

Me want so badly, but id rather buy tea with $100

http://www.redblossomtea.com/teaware/ga ... -2012.html

Mar 1st, '13, 16:57

by edkrueger » Mar 1st, '13, 16:57

Wow, that looks impressively impractical!

Mar 1st, '13, 17:18

by AdamMY » Mar 1st, '13, 17:18

edkrueger wrote:Wow, that looks impressively impractical!
For how most of us use Gaiwans yes... When I first saw that I was wondering how the heck would someone even use it. I do not know its exact dimensions, but I figure you are supposed to grip the "saucer" and pour while securing the lid either with a finger, or the palm of your hand.

Mar 1st, '13, 19:08

by amaranto » Mar 1st, '13, 19:08

I thought the same thing the first time I saw it. I did run upon a celadon gaiwan that looked easier to use than the traditional one I currently have, though. There's even a nice little matching cup they sell.

http://www.dragonteahouse.biz/accessori ... z-cfg.html

Mar 1st, '13, 23:05

by yalokinh » Mar 1st, '13, 23:05

I grab it by the saucer, it wouldnt be too bad to use for me

Mar 2nd, '13, 12:43

by Suutej_Tsaj » Mar 2nd, '13, 12:43

AdamMY wrote:
For how most of us use Gaiwans yes... When I first saw that I was wondering how the heck would someone even use it. I do not know its exact dimensions, but I figure you are supposed to grip the "saucer" and pour while securing the lid either with a finger, or the palm of your hand.
Yes, many gaiwans seem impractical to me. However, they also look kind of "neuter": they won't "absorb" the tea like hagi pottery does and are usually the right size for brewing tea cup to cup. I might give one of these a try - not the one posted by yalokinh, though. :lol:

Mar 2nd, '13, 12:53

by AdamMY » Mar 2nd, '13, 12:53

Suutej_Tsaj wrote:
AdamMY wrote:
Yes, many gaiwans seem impractical to me. However, they also look kind of "neuter": they won't "absorb" the tea like hagi pottery does and are usually the right size for brewing tea cup to cup. I might give one of these a try - not the one posted by yalokinh, though. :lol:
Oh don't get me wrong I think Gaiwans are great, just not for Japanese teas. While gaiwans have a bit more of a learning curve on using them than most teapots, their simplicity is somewhat beautiful in how well they accomplish their task.

Mar 2nd, '13, 13:05

by yalokinh » Mar 2nd, '13, 13:05

lol, its ok. preferences.
I mainly use a cheap $10 gaiwan from ebay, and works perfectly for me.

Mar 2nd, '13, 21:05

by amaranto » Mar 2nd, '13, 21:05

It took me a bit to get the hang of my gaiwan too, but now I use it more than any other implement.

Mar 3rd, '13, 06:30

by Suutej_Tsaj » Mar 3rd, '13, 06:30

yalokinh wrote:lol, its ok. preferences.
I mainly use a cheap $10 gaiwan from ebay, and works perfectly for me.
Just to avoid misunderstandings, the gaiwan is beautiful. It's the price that puts me off.

+ Post Reply