High on Dan Cong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Feb 1st, '13, 02:33

High on Dan Cong

by ChengduCha » Feb 1st, '13, 02:33

When my wife wasn't getting the desired flavor out of the Dan Cong she bought, I remembered that the shopkeeper was shaking the gaiwan a bit during the tasting session.

I overdid it and shook it pretty hard for 30sec or so and in the next infusion we got a cloudy liquor that got me and my wife feeling pretty spaced out instead of experiencing a better flavor.

Does anybody know what exactly causes this psychotropic effect?

It's definitely not caffeine related.

Feb 1st, '13, 12:15

Re: High on Dan Cong

by tomasini » Feb 1st, '13, 12:15

Your dan cong was laced with mild bits of angel dust. o.o
Hehe
I dunno man thats pretty trippy.

Feb 1st, '13, 16:47

by ImmortaliTEA » Feb 1st, '13, 16:47

ChengduCha wrote:When my wife wasn't getting the desired flavor out of the Dan Cong she bought, I remembered that the shopkeeper was shaking the gaiwan a bit during the tasting session.

I overdid it and shook it pretty hard for 30sec or so and in the next infusion we got a cloudy liquor that got me and my wife feeling pretty spaced out instead of experiencing a better flavor.

Does anybody know what exactly causes this psychotropic effect?

It's definitely not caffeine related.
Was this an Aged Dan Chong? Also, was it the lighter green style or something more along the lines of the standard more roasted Mi Lan Xiang style? This might help determine the source or cause of the suddenly powerful blast of Cha Qi that you and your wife experienced.

Feb 1st, '13, 17:19

by Evan Draper » Feb 1st, '13, 17:19

ImmortaliTEA wrote:
ChengduCha wrote:This might help determine the source or cause of the suddenly powerful blast of Cha Qi that you and your wife experienced.
This strikes me as very funny; like somebody called in the "stoner detective"

Feb 1st, '13, 22:05
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Feb 1st, '13, 22:05

assuming all you drank was tea you most likely just encountered a very strong infusion and got walloped with the caffeine and cha chi combo, the cloudy look to your tea was due to suspended vegetal matter (again, assuming all that was in your tea was tea.).

A few questions come to mind:
how much leaf were you using?
when was the last time you ate?
have you ever had dan cong before? (some teas affect some people in different ways)
have you repeated the "experiment"?

Feb 1st, '13, 22:52
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 1st, '13, 22:52

Dancong is definitely special stuff: I call the kilo or so I have left ROCKET FUEL and reserve it for when I want to get a ton of stuff done. I don't shake my gaiwan, but I may have to try that. :)

Feb 2nd, '13, 10:14

by ChengduCha » Feb 2nd, '13, 10:14

ImmortaliTEA wrote:Was this an Aged Dan Chong?
I think it wasn't.
Also, was it the lighter green style or something more along the lines of the standard more roasted Mi Lan Xiang style?
The dry leafs looked pretty black.

Feb 2nd, '13, 10:19

by ChengduCha » Feb 2nd, '13, 10:19

blairswhitaker wrote: how much leaf were you using?
My wife used quite a bit of leafs, but they're dry and it seems normal to use quite a lot for oolong brewing.

With the first brews everything was standard dan cong - after my shake it got spacey. :D
when was the last time you ate?
Before I had the tea.
have you ever had dan cong before? (some teas affect some people in different ways)
Multiple times, the taste and smell is always a bit too intense for me and the only thing I get from normally brewed dan cong is a headache. :D
have you repeated the "experiment"?
Maybe in the future, but I'm not a big oolong fan in general and not into psychotropic substances either. :D I just sip along with my wife as she doesn't like to drink tea alone.

Feb 9th, '13, 16:58
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Feb 9th, '13, 16:58

Although it's not typical caffeine reaction, it may not be entirely unrelated to caffeine/theine though. Similar reaction could be caused by high dose caffeine too. High dose caffeine or theophilline from tea could mess up rhythm of body metabolism and resulting in hyper feeling, stomach, vomiting, breathing problem, irregular muscle contra才tion... depending on how bad it is, but usually not that bad as long as one is not eating caffeine powder :mrgreen: But sometimes if there is too much tea polyphenols, they could give the stomach a further kick and make it worse.

30sec plus shaking does sound a little too much. The cloudy liquor might be because the debris and leaf "pulps" are shaken out and suspended in the liquor, and then the theine and polypenols come out even faster.

Feb 27th, '13, 19:01

by Hannah » Feb 27th, '13, 19:01

jayinhk wrote:Dancong is definitely special stuff: I call the kilo or so I have left ROCKET FUEL and reserve it for when I want to get a ton of stuff done. I don't shake my gaiwan, but I may have to try that. :)
Do you mind if I ask where you get your DC Jayinhk? :)

Feb 28th, '13, 14:39
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 28th, '13, 14:39

Yep, shipped direct from Chaozhou via Taobao. Nothing fancy (and pretty low grade as far as dancong goes).

Mar 1st, '13, 05:03

by Bad Jedi » Mar 1st, '13, 05:03

Having Ba Xiang for the morning . You feeling like you turning into one of those Immortals :)

Mar 5th, '13, 18:08

by Muadeeb » Mar 5th, '13, 18:08

Up until a month ago, I had no idea it was possible to get drunk on tea. Since then, I've been enjoying it immensely. :D

It's also cut down on my beer drinking considerably, and I've lost about 5 lbs with no other changes to my lifestyle. Cheaper too.

Mar 6th, '13, 02:46

by David R. » Mar 6th, '13, 02:46

Muadeeb wrote:Cheaper too.
If you get into Dan Cong seriously, that may not last very long... :roll:

Mar 6th, '13, 13:23

by Bad Jedi » Mar 6th, '13, 13:23

David R. wrote:
Muadeeb wrote:Cheaper too.
If you get into Dan Cong seriously, that may not last very long... :roll:
+1