pumador idea: bread box

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 3rd, '13, 13:43

by futurebird » Mar 3rd, '13, 13:43

I've taken to keeping my raw tea in a bread box (along with white tea, really anything but the shu...) it's seems like a good idea since bread boxes are designed to let air flow through them, while keeping out insects. Mine is from the 50's steel with a wooden lining, it's in my living room. Now with the tea inside it smells so nice when I open it.

I guess there is the danger of flavors mingling, so I decided to leave the cooked teas in another location.

At first I was going to try and get clay jars, but this french page:

http://www.puerh.fr/en/article/common_s ... rh_tea.htm

... says they do not have enough air-flow. That was news to me!

Though, it is unlikely that any of my teas will last to be aged, I drink so much tea... Let me put it to you this way: I never drink water.

Mar 3rd, '13, 13:55

Re: pumador idea: bread box

by gasninja » Mar 3rd, '13, 13:55

Air flow iss over rated. especially in non tropical environments.

Mar 3rd, '13, 14:37

by futurebird » Mar 3rd, '13, 14:37

What do you think of the information on the "myths" link?

Especially these "myths"
*It is impossible to keep or to age of puerh in the West, out of their climate of origin
*To age the puerh needs a hot and humid climate as found in Hong Kong, Malaysia or Taiwan
*To maintain and allow the aging of its teas puerh in the West, it is best to put her cakes in large earthen jars of Yixing
*Puerh storage in jars in the ground is higher, and allows for better aging of tea through the pores of the earth and the breath of tea it helps

Is this website wrong? (I read it on the internet, must be true!)

Mar 3rd, '13, 14:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Mar 3rd, '13, 14:51

Anybody else want to track down that old thread about the buried pu'erh...? :lol:

Mar 3rd, '13, 16:01

by Exempt » Mar 3rd, '13, 16:01

gasninja wrote:Air flow iss over rated. especially in non tropical environments.
This may be true if you live in an environment where the conditions are naturally good for aging, but if someone is artificially aging in a closed environment don't you think some airflow or change in air is important?

Mar 3rd, '13, 18:32

by shah82 » Mar 3rd, '13, 18:32

Oh, I don't think it's overrated. It's just that puerh with attention paid to it is probably getting all the airflow it needs.

/me shakes head...

Puerh likes to age where people feel comfortable. If you don't like it too dry, then the tea won't. If you are damp all the time from sweat, the tea's kinda wet too. If it's smelly...so forth and on.

There was never a need for extreme measures. You just shouldn't be an idiot like putting tea in the spice cabinet, or sitting in direct sunlight or in a busy hallway, or whatever.

Mar 3rd, '13, 20:45
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Mar 3rd, '13, 20:45

gasninja wrote:Air flow iss over rated. especially in non tropical environments.
A lot of people I know have recommended very little air flow in dry environments

Mar 4th, '13, 02:31

by gasninja » Mar 4th, '13, 02:31

Exempt wrote:
This may be true if you live in an environment where the conditions are naturally good for aging, but if someone is artificially aging in a closed environment don't you think some airflow or change in air is important?
I think opening a door every day or every couple of days is more than enough.Installing vents in a pumidor to me seams counter productive.

Mar 4th, '13, 06:31

by Bad Jedi » Mar 4th, '13, 06:31

TwoDog2 wrote:
A lot of people I know have recommended very little air flow in dry environments
That makes sense because moving dry air around will help to make a very nice herbarium from your fresh cakes.

Mar 4th, '13, 10:10

by MarshalN » Mar 4th, '13, 10:10

Air flow, especially a lot of air flow, is bad for your tea. You can try it, but you'll regret it, especially if you have a dry environment.

Mar 4th, '13, 10:21

by Exempt » Mar 4th, '13, 10:21

gasninja wrote:
Exempt wrote:
I think opening a door every day or every couple of days is more than enough.Installing vents in a pumidor to me seams counter productive.
Ok, this is all I do. It hasn't been open in a couple days but there is a fan inside circulating air

Mar 9th, '13, 12:54

by futurebird » Mar 9th, '13, 12:54

MarshalN wrote:Air flow, especially a lot of air flow, is bad for your tea. You can try it, but you'll regret it, especially if you have a dry environment.

It not like I have a fan. But I'll keep this in mind... But isn't it bad forgery to be cooped up?

+ Post Reply