Tea Beer

For general/other topics related to tea.

Aug 16th, '12, 07:00
Vendor Member

Tea Beer

by TwoDog2 » Aug 16th, '12, 07:00

A new craft beer, called Yunnan Amber being brewed with Yunnan Dianhong. Really looking forward to trying it. More information
in post about it, will go and try this beer this weekend, and report back to teachat ... mmmm, tea beer

Aug 16th, '12, 10:47

Re: Tea Beer

by teasme » Aug 16th, '12, 10:47

Can't wait to hear your review on it. Sounds interesting but kind of an oxymoron to combine something healthy with something unhealthy haha.

Aug 18th, '12, 07:07
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Aug 18th, '12, 07:07

Too many pics to link properly, so click here for the full reviews

tl;dr version

3 tea beers, 1 made with Yunnan Dianhong, 1 with Tie Guan Yin, 1 with Silver Needle

Aug 18th, '12, 08:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Aug 18th, '12, 08:58

Excellent...., thanks for sacrificing yourself to such an arduous task and reporting the results! :D

Aug 19th, '12, 19:58

by teasme » Aug 19th, '12, 19:58

Great review. Those tea/beer fusions sound great. The TKY one especially grabs my attention. Sigh, sadly I won't be able to try any of these as I am stuck here in the US. Maybe someday..

Mar 6th, '13, 13:28

by Muadeeb » Mar 6th, '13, 13:28

teasme wrote:Can't wait to hear your review on it. Sounds interesting but kind of an oxymoron to combine something healthy with something unhealthy haha.
Beer is actually quite healthy as long as you don't drink too much of it. Loads of B vitamins and studies have shown that 1 beer a day can actually be good for you. I'm still trying to convince one of our local nanobrewers to make an earl grey IPA...

Mar 6th, '13, 13:35

by AdamMY » Mar 6th, '13, 13:35

Muadeeb wrote:
teasme wrote:Can't wait to hear your review on it. Sounds interesting but kind of an oxymoron to combine something healthy with something unhealthy haha.
Beer is actually quite healthy as long as you don't drink too much of it. Loads of B vitamins and studies have shown that 1 beer a day can actually be good for you. I'm still trying to convince one of our local nanobrewers to make an earl grey IPA...
The problem is while it is loaded with B Vitamins the presence of alcohol makes your body unable to process just about any of them. So while it has a lot of B vitamins none of them get used because beer is alcoholic.

Mar 6th, '13, 14:14

by Muadeeb » Mar 6th, '13, 14:14

AdamMY wrote: The problem is while it is loaded with B Vitamins the presence of alcohol makes your body unable to process just about any of them. So while it has a lot of B vitamins none of them get used because beer is alcoholic.
I wasn't aware of that. Any links you can provide to that kind of information?

Mar 6th, '13, 14:44

by AdamMY » Mar 6th, '13, 14:44

http://www.bouldermedicalcenter.com/art ... rition.htm
The B-complex vitamins are especially vulnerable and destroyed by alcohol.

Mar 6th, '13, 15:30

by Poohblah » Mar 6th, '13, 15:30

I can't imagine beer being infused with any kind of tea other than a dark, malty tea such as dianhong.

Caffeine and alcohol have opposing neurological effects, however, so that might be a dangerous combination in excess. Though I suspect the beer has a larger serving of alcohol than caffeine.

Mar 6th, '13, 15:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Mar 6th, '13, 15:50

AdamMY wrote:http://www.bouldermedicalcenter.com/art ... rition.htm
The B-complex vitamins are especially vulnerable and destroyed by alcohol.
Hm, I'm not quite sure that's an accurate description of what happens. If alcohol destroyed them, the acidic environment of your stomach would likely obliterate them, and then how would you get them at all?

Instead, it would appear that alcohol inhibit your body's ability to absorb the nutrients. See the Wikipedia page for links to references.
Wikipedia wrote:Although the yeast used to make beer results in beers being a source of B vitamins,[22] their bioavailability ranges from poor to negative as drinking ethanol inhibits absorption of thiamine (B1),[23][24] riboflavin (B2),[25] niacin (B3),[26] biotin (B7),[27] and folic acid (B9).[28][29] In addition, each of the preceding studies further emphasizes that elevated consumption of beer and other ethanol-based drinks results in a net deficit of those B vitamins and the health risks associated with such deficiencies.

Mar 6th, '13, 16:00

by victoria3 » Mar 6th, '13, 16:00

An old remedy to avoid a hangover is to take lots of B12 before sleeping.
Kombucha-Tea-Bottling.gif
Kombucha-Tea-Bottling.gif (73.33 KiB) Viewed 2064 times
A way to avoid too much alcohol is to drink kombucha, a fermented tea thousands of years old. Beer is +- 6% Kombucha +- .5% alcohol. I've been making it for many years and used to blog at this site, which happens to have an article about a kombucha beer out of Chicago, Fleur; http://www.kombuchakamp.com/2011/03/bre ... riage.html

+ Post Reply