Mar 5th, '13, 09:13

The yixing "travel mug" is it "for men" ?

by futurebird » Mar 5th, '13, 09:13

I've been seeing these on ebay and allover the online tea shops. The thing is these mugs are huge! Some even have built-in tea pets. They seem like a no-brainer for work.

I imagine they are popular with Chinese tea lovers who want to drink on the go or at work. Though most mugs seem gear for "grandpa style" tea drinking. I think I saw some in use while in Hong Kong. Specificall,y I remember this truck driver with a big 'ol yixing mug and a beer belly giving me directions on the edge of Kowloon. (I don't know if that mug had tea in it...)

So, maybe that made an impression on me, because, to my eye, the mugs look really... masculine. Mayebe it's just the color of the clay or the size, or their general squareness... but they just seem like something a dude would use, not a consummately dainty lady such as myself. :wink:

Anyone know what the real deal is?

Maybe would solve my work tea "problem" though I've come to like the rather messy corner of my desk where the tea lives.

Mar 8th, '13, 05:50

Re: The yixing "travel mug" is it "for men" ?

by Alex » Mar 8th, '13, 05:50

Have you had a look at these instead.

They are made by Eilong Studios so should be pretty decent quality

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yo-Yo-Porcela ... 7b6a49dafa

Mar 8th, '13, 06:27

by sandra » Mar 8th, '13, 06:27

found a site here in the NL as well, was interested at first, but then read that some of these mugs are 300-400ml. they are HUGE and not convenient imho.
too bad they are so big, why not make them smaller?

Mar 8th, '13, 08:19
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Mar 8th, '13, 08:19

The price and look of those scare the bejesus out of me! I would much rather use a porcelain infuser cup/mug that can handle all kinds of tea.

My main concern would be the quality of the clay and additives. For that kind of money, you're not going to be getting good clay.
Last edited by jayinhk on Mar 9th, '13, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 9th, '13, 11:45

by futurebird » Mar 9th, '13, 11:45

sandra wrote:found a site here in the NL as well, was interested at first, but then read that some of these mugs are 300-400ml. they are HUGE and not convenient imho.
too bad they are so big, why not make them smaller?
Kind of what I'm wondering. It's like a gongfu "big gulp"

+ Post Reply