Mar 7th, '13, 18:20
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Tea and stomach trouble

by Chip » Mar 7th, '13, 18:20

... also Japanese are drinking less and less traditional teas ... opting for RTD or whatever is hip. Which has actually contributed to the boon in availability to the West.

So it is hard to draw a conclusion that Japanese tea is responsible for the high GERD.

Mar 7th, '13, 18:41

by edkrueger » Mar 7th, '13, 18:41

What is RTD?

Mar 7th, '13, 18:43

by edkrueger » Mar 7th, '13, 18:43

Oh. Ready to drink. The Japanese ready to drink market is "traditional" in the since its unflavored and unsweetened. As far as health effects I don't think it would be much different than traditional tea.

Mar 7th, '13, 18:56

by Chip » Mar 7th, '13, 18:56

edkrueger wrote:Oh. Ready to drink. The Japanese ready to drink market is "traditional" in the since its unflavored and unsweetened. As far as health effects I don't think it would be much different than traditional tea.
Virtually all RTD has some additive to act as a preservative for instance. Well, at least in the West. These additives can include sugar, citric acid, Vitamin C ...

I am sure there are other differences as well. For instance, was it even grown in Japan ...

Mar 7th, '13, 19:06

by edkrueger » Mar 7th, '13, 19:06

Didn't think about that. Ito-en has Vitamin C. Also Ascorbic Acid is vitamin C (I just learned this).

Mar 7th, '13, 19:08

by Chip » Mar 7th, '13, 19:08

Besides, nothing better than a fresh brewed cuppa, right? :mrgreen:

Mar 7th, '13, 20:35

by edkrueger » Mar 7th, '13, 20:35

Yes, but I'll admit that I really enjoy a cold Oi-ocha sometimes.

Mar 7th, '13, 20:46
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 7th, '13, 20:46

Maneki Neko wrote: Now, after a bowl of cereals and almond milk, I'm brewing my new sencha :mrgreen:
I guess different people's stomach problems have different sources and different cures. For me, cereal and almond milk would be unimaginable if my stomach doesn't feel well. But obviously they are mild enough for your stomach. I generally found (mildly brewed) shu puerh and black tea mild on stomach. But rice soup is the best for my stomach :D

Mar 7th, '13, 23:17

by victoria3 » Mar 7th, '13, 23:17

Chip wrote:...So it is hard to draw a conclusion that Japanese tea is responsible for the high GERD.
Yes, I agree with you.

Mar 8th, '13, 13:34

by teaisme » Mar 8th, '13, 13:34

victoria3 wrote: Chip wrote:...So it is hard to draw a conclusion that Japanese tea is responsible for the high GERD.

Yes, I agree with you.
Maneki Neko wrote: I've also almost eliminated milk products. But some of the symptoms, like bloating and gas, seem to stay :roll:
Yeah it could be something as silly as modern wheat. I know it may sound silly, but perhaps try a couple weeks no wheat, and if you eat any other grains soak them first. I know people who have had good results like this. I also notice with my typical diet I have almost zero gas, but wheat and to lesser extent oatmeal seem to cause it for me.

Mar 8th, '13, 22:52

by Maneki Neko » Mar 8th, '13, 22:52

Ok, it's worth trying :wink: Although it is very hard for me to avoid wheat. I'd have to cook separate meals for me and my husband for instance. Or eat curries with a spoon, which is going to be too spicy :? We generally eat it with flatbread or rotis.

There are other reasons why wheat could cause symptoms, besides celiac (which I don't have, for they took a biopsy there during the gastroscopy). I've learned there are certain complex sugars in wheat and legumes that are hard to digest for some people.

Mar 9th, '13, 23:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Mar 9th, '13, 23:30

Maneki Neko wrote:Ok, it's worth trying :wink: Although it is very hard for me to avoid wheat. I'd have to cook separate meals for me and my husband for instance. Or eat curries with a spoon, which is going to be too spicy :? We generally eat it with flatbread or rotis.

There are other reasons why wheat could cause symptoms, besides celiac (which I don't have, for they took a biopsy there during the gastroscopy). I've learned there are certain complex sugars in wheat and legumes that are hard to digest for some people.
There's always basmati if rotis aren't for you. :)

Mar 10th, '13, 10:51

by Maneki Neko » Mar 10th, '13, 10:51

That's a good idea! I often make Basmati rice into a dish of its own, with peas and/or potatoes. I almost forgot it's also made plain as a side dish.

Stomach is OK now. Had a little bit too much to eat yesterday so I felt a bit of acid, but other than that it's fine :wink: I drank Sencha and Matcha without trouble today and I didn't even take omeprazole.

+ Post Reply