Mar 9th, '13, 17:48

tea boat/bowl/plate

by yalokinh » Mar 9th, '13, 17:48

Saw this was wondering where i could find something like this.
I know ebay has some tea boats, but not like these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyv4czy ... ata_player

Skip to about 5:30

Mar 9th, '13, 18:16

Re: tea boat/bowl/plate

by wyardley » Mar 9th, '13, 18:16

Josh at J-Tea had some last time I was there (don't think he has them available online, but you could call). They're plain grey ones (no writing on the bottom). Other than that, not too many people selling these geyao dishes in the US. I have asked Imen about it in the past, but I don't think she has ever brought any in.

I have a few, both newer and old, but mostly sourced from Taiwan and HK. Sometimes they turn up on Yahoo Taiwan auctions, where a couple of mine are from. There are some on Taobao also. SE Asia seems to have a lot, so you could try asking the Sampletea guy. On auction sites, you can search for things like
哥窯盤, 官釉盤, etc.
Be really careful about size when buying online.

I'll try to post pictures of one or two more later.

Usually, there is a flat dish for the cups, a taller, smaller around dish for the pot, and occasionally you'll see a big bowl for waste water.

Last edited by wyardley on Mar 9th, '13, 18:25, edited 3 times in total.

Mar 9th, '13, 18:18

by futurebird » Mar 9th, '13, 18:18

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-white-c ... 4ac1fa1162

a little steep in price though! :D

I found a more reasonable one though I think it's over-priced:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Chinese ... 4d09aea8dd

Mar 9th, '13, 21:42

by yalokinh » Mar 9th, '13, 21:42

hmm, those are pretty hefty in price.
I think I know someone who is staying in HK for a short while,
If I asked him to get it, what would I say?
Is geyao the only name for these?
I'm not too particularly worried about the characters or words on them.
but I would love have a pair of these. why aren't they more common here? they are beautiful!

Mar 9th, '13, 21:58

by wyardley » Mar 9th, '13, 21:58

The new ones usually are fairly cheap. There are various names. It's really not a super common item, and not easy to know what name someone will expect you to call it. A picture would probably be best.

I think some of the older tea shops in HK will have them, though I don't have any specific / up-to-date suggestions.

Mar 9th, '13, 22:12

by yalokinh » Mar 9th, '13, 22:12

Ok thanks for the info,
How can I contact Josh at J-tea?

Mar 9th, '13, 22:45

by Tead Off » Mar 9th, '13, 22:45

Here is a Korean style teaboat/plate called Dazi.
Kim Eung Cheol teaboat.jpg
Kim Eung Cheol teaboat.jpg (17.07 KiB) Viewed 1834 times

Mar 9th, '13, 23:36

by wyardley » Mar 9th, '13, 23:36

yalokinh wrote:Ok thanks for the info,
How can I contact Josh at J-tea?
http://jteainternational.com/contact-j-tea/
I think he only had the smaller size (usually used for the teapot, not cups), but could be wrong.

Mar 10th, '13, 00:45

by yalokinh » Mar 10th, '13, 00:45

Tead Off wrote:Here is a Korean style teaboat/plate called Dazi.
Kim Eung Cheol teaboat.jpg

Thats a really nice one

Mar 10th, '13, 01:04

by theredbaron » Mar 10th, '13, 01:04

That is the style of set up i am always using, and find most comfortable. Here in SEA the crackled tea boat style is quite common, and very cheap.

But you are not bound to use this. I use something like this as a plate for the cups:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-painted-Bl ... 589d03113e

These style plates can be found for very reasonable prices on ebay regularly - they were mass produced items during the Qing dynasty, and many were also made for export to SEA markets in those days.
I think that the roughness and simple style of the Blue and White painting adds very much to the spirit of tea.
This one is definitely real, by the way, and not fake (like the 900 dollar crackled plate). I am only not sure if it is pre 1800, but it definitely is Qing. You can see that also by the little points with which the Characters were marked in the plate - usually name of the owners family, so that it won't get lost or mixed up after parties. This a thing that has seen much use in its day. It's ideal to use for tea.
If you search ebay, you can find similar styled, or different, bowls which you can use as tea boats.

You are not necessarily bound to use items that were manufactured specifically for tea. Converting other items, especially older stuff, can be a lot of fun.

Mar 10th, '13, 01:26

by theredbaron » Mar 10th, '13, 01:26

Here are some cheap tea boats from ebay. Not my style, but some inexpensive ones, and serve the purpose:

http://stores.ebay.com/Dragon-Tea-House ... 34.c0.m322

Mar 10th, '13, 13:31

by futurebird » Mar 10th, '13, 13:31

yalokinh wrote:Saw this was wondering where i could find something like this.
I know ebay has some tea boats, but not like these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyv4czy ... ata_player

Skip to about 5:30
By the way thanks you you and this video and post I'm now obsessed with getting this style of teaboat. My budget cannot handle any new information about beautiful teawares that are out there! Thanks a lot! :x

:wink:

Mar 10th, '13, 13:32

by futurebird » Mar 10th, '13, 13:32

theredbaron wrote:That is the style of set up i am always using, and find most comfortable. Here in SEA the crackled tea boat style is quite common, and very cheap.

But you are not bound to use this. I use something like this as a plate for the cups:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-painted-Bl ... 589d03113e

These style plates can be found for very reasonable prices on ebay regularly - they were mass produced items during the Qing dynasty, and many were also made for export to SEA markets in those days.
I think that the roughness and simple style of the Blue and White painting adds very much to the spirit of tea.
This one is definitely real, by the way, and not fake (like the 900 dollar crackled plate). I am only not sure if it is pre 1800, but it definitely is Qing. You can see that also by the little points with which the Characters were marked in the plate - usually name of the owners family, so that it won't get lost or mixed up after parties. This a thing that has seen much use in its day. It's ideal to use for tea.
If you search ebay, you can find similar styled, or different, bowls which you can use as tea boats.

You are not necessarily bound to use items that were manufactured specifically for tea. Converting other items, especially older stuff, can be a lot of fun.

Thanks for this information.

Mar 10th, '13, 14:37

by theredbaron » Mar 10th, '13, 14:37

I just had a look at the link i provided, and was quite astonished that the bidding ended without a single bidder. Somebody could have gotten a very useful Qing dynasty plate for just 35 US$, ideal for placing tea cups on.

:shock:

Mar 10th, '13, 15:03
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Mar 10th, '13, 15:03

re: qing plate - it was a bit flea bitten, but I found the owner's name etched into the surface interesting. I was told when people brought plates or wares like this to large communal meals, having your name on the piece was helpful in sorting them out at the end.

I like the history of pieces like this, and like a bit of ancient history on my tea table.

+ Post Reply