Mar 11th, '13, 16:56

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

by JRS22 » Mar 11th, '13, 16:56

NPE wrote:
JRS22 wrote:The same pot is available from Yunnan Sourcing, which might have lower shipping costs to Australia. The holes are a bit large for Sencha.

http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... oduct=1386
Sorry to have to say that I cannot recommend this one. I just received that same teapot and it turned out to be the worst pourer that I have so far. Not only is the hole in the lid too small, even when the lid is lifted slightly will the first drops go everywhere other than your cup. I am sure that I have seen a website recently that had a lot of good looking porcelain teapots on. I will have a look if I can find it again and report back

Edit: that did not take as long as I thought :D
Take a look at http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/te ... apots.html
They look nice (with a potential for pouring into the intended direction) and do not break the bank
I hope the OP notices your post as another source of porcelain pots.

I'm surprised that your pot from Yunnan Sourcing doesn't pour well as my pot from Tea Trekker, which looks the same in photos, does. I'm not sure if the type of tea makes a difference. I use mine mostly for Jasmine Silver Needles, or whatever Jasmine I have at home at the time.

Mar 11th, '13, 17:12

by NPE » Mar 11th, '13, 17:12

JRS22 wrote:
NPE wrote:
JRS22 wrote:The same pot is available from Yunnan Sourcing, which might have lower shipping costs to Australia. The holes are a bit large for Sencha.

Sorry to have to say that I cannot recommend this one. I just received that same teapot and it turned out to be the worst pourer that I have so far. Not only is the hole in the lid too small, even when the lid is lifted slightly will the first drops go everywhere other than your cup. I am sure that I have seen a website recently that had a lot of good looking porcelain teapots on. I will have a look if I can find it again and report back

They look nice (with a potential for pouring into the intended direction) and do not break the bank

I'm surprised that your pot from Yunnan Sourcing doesn't pour well as my pot from Tea Trekker, which looks the same in photos, does. I'm not sure if the type of tea makes a difference. I use mine mostly for Jasmine Silver Needles, or whatever Jasmine I have at home at the time.
At first I thought that it was the type of tea that I was using, too. I tried pu-erh and hojicha and thought that maybe the tea had too many fine particles which were clogging up the spout. Therefore I gave it a test run with only water and found the same behaviour: initial hesitation with a lot of the contents running down the bottom of the spout to 'ensure' that the table next to the teacup was wet before the tea finally made it into the cup. Maybe I got a teapot that does not like tea? :lol:
In any case: all the other stuff that I have ordered from YS is really good - I guess that is what made me notice the misbehaving teapot so much

Mar 11th, '13, 20:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Mar 11th, '13, 20:23

NPE wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
NPE wrote:

At first I thought that it was the type of tea that I was using, too. I tried pu-erh and hojicha and thought that maybe the tea had too many fine particles which were clogging up the spout. Therefore I gave it a test run with only water and found the same behaviour: initial hesitation with a lot of the contents running down the bottom of the spout to 'ensure' that the table next to the teacup was wet before the tea finally made it into the cup. Maybe I got a teapot that does not like tea? :lol:
In any case: all the other stuff that I have ordered from YS is really good - I guess that is what made me notice the misbehaving teapot so much
With oolongs I haven't had any problems with clogging, but I have experienced some of the pouring problems that you describe when the water level gets too high. My solution is to slightly decrease the volume of my steeps. :)

Mar 11th, '13, 21:59

by debunix » Mar 11th, '13, 21:59

Other nice sources for porcelain pots would be our tea artisans....quite a few make lovely interior-glazed porcelain pots. Not all are right for fukamushi sencha, but I've got some real workhorses from Petr Novak and Yi Yong Cheol that I use regularly at work and they handle a variety of teas well.

Mar 11th, '13, 23:29

by hopeofdawn » Mar 11th, '13, 23:29

Tonight's teatime--an eclectic mix of old friends and new.

Cup: Sou-shun hagi
Teapot: Petr Novak
Server: Yi Yong Cheol
Plus some lovely sejak to go along with my brie and sesame crackers. :mrgreen:

Mar 12th, '13, 03:08

by Maneki Neko » Mar 12th, '13, 03:08

Thanks for your suggestions :wink: Those are some nice potties! Except for the stainless steel mesh kyusu, I had not found any of these in my google search.

When I make a decision I'll post it here :)

Mar 12th, '13, 06:57

by Maneki Neko » Mar 12th, '13, 06:57

Ok, I got the Seto-Yaki blueish white pot from Everyone's Tea :D

It's not the most gorgeous teapot I've ever seen, but it looks rather friendly, functional, and has a ball filter, which I like. It doesn't have a hole in the lid, but I can take that off during pouring.

Aesthetically, I prefer the low and wide kyusu, but let's see how this one pours. It has a good spout.

Which brings me to the next thing: the pots with the really short spouts, how do they pour? They look a little.........too short :wink:

Mar 13th, '13, 11:31

by JRS22 » Mar 13th, '13, 11:31

I brewed Jasmine silver needles in my little white pot today as an experiment. I filled the pot to the rim and still no pouring problems. When I examined the inside of the pot I noticed that it appears that some of the filter holes are not functional. The holes look to be blocked by the spout or the side of the pot. The quality is uneven and some of us got the good pots, some of us didn't.

I second the vote for Teaware Artisan porcelain pots.
Devoted135 wrote:
NPE wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
NPE wrote:

With oolongs I haven't had any problems with clogging, but I have experienced some of the pouring problems that you describe when the water level gets too high. My solution is to slightly decrease the volume of my steeps. :)

Mar 13th, '13, 11:42

by NPE » Mar 13th, '13, 11:42

Devoted135 wrote:
NPE wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
NPE wrote:

Decrease the volume??? :shock: One of the best things is completely overfilling the teapot with leaves and water and then watching it overflow when I put on the lid - beautiful!
Furthermore there this one little additional problem: I am greedy :lol:

Mar 13th, '13, 12:50

by Muadeeb » Mar 13th, '13, 12:50

NPE wrote:
Decrease the volume??? :shock: One of the best things is completely overfilling the teapot with leaves and water and then watching it overflow when I put on the lid - beautiful!
Furthermore there this one little additional problem: I am greedy :lol:
+1

Mar 13th, '13, 12:56

by AMH004 » Mar 13th, '13, 12:56

That's hysterical, hopeofdawn. I almost bought that Petr Novak teapot, but it disappeared before I could. I'm glad to see it found a loving home though :)

Mar 13th, '13, 14:31
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Mar 13th, '13, 14:31

Untitled by blairswhitaker, on Flickr

tachi masaki kyusu paired with a Kashun yunomi resting on a hinoki wood plank. really love the harmony of all this wood and earth tones going on here plus the variety of textures and surfaces. the tea is O-Chas organic Okumidori. I have had this bag open for around a month and am just finishing it up today this tea aged really, really well, actually got better with age to a certain point. very unusual for a sencha, I think this would make for an interesting gyokuro.

Mar 13th, '13, 14:35

by Alex » Mar 13th, '13, 14:35

I'd be so jealous of that pot right now if I didnt own its brother :mrgreen:

Very nice on just a simple piece of wood. I'm looking for something like that.

Mar 15th, '13, 00:48

by debunix » Mar 15th, '13, 00:48

At this particular office, I spend three days in a row with one set of tea things, and I don't think I will ever get bored working with these.

Mar 16th, '13, 18:35

by AdamMY » Mar 16th, '13, 18:35

80s Wild Arbor Loose Sheng by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

Only a small part of the teaware I have used today. My lovely new Yixing teapot, working on seasoning it as quickly as I can. Brewing into my Park Jong Il Teacup, actually a wonderful match for that pot.

+ Post Reply