Radiation and Tea in Japan

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 12th, '13, 18:57
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Radiation and Tea in Japan

by Chip » Mar 12th, '13, 18:57

NPE wrote:
Seeker wrote:
Maneki Neko wrote:"Yakka Chi"........

...what an idiot :roll:
OMG - I totally agree!!! :lol:
I was gagging, rolling my eyes, and just getting an overall stomach clinch every time the guy mispronounced it. And he couldn't seem to decide which mispronounciation to go with.
Sheesh.
:roll:
To be honest it did strike me as a bit suspect that this guy managed to mispronounce a not too complicated name with such a variety of versions - it actually struck me as an intentional thing. Normally when someone misreads something, it is this one version until corrected. Could it be that someone has taken to trolling and is willing to put a bit of effort into it???
This thought occurred to me as well. I guess you could say I have seen more trolls than most ...

Mar 12th, '13, 20:43

by beforewisdom » Mar 12th, '13, 20:43

I'm more interested in this issue now that I've gotten my first taste of freshly imported Japanese tea.

I don't know anything about radiation measurements or relative risks.

I also tend to be a bit cynical. I think I would be suspicious of any studies by parties that may have a vested interest in things being found to be safe ( the Japanese government, Japanese tea farmers, etc ).

Since "you all" are still drinking Japanese tea, am I correct in assuming that a neutral party without a vested interest has tested Japanese tea and found it safe?

Mar 12th, '13, 20:59

by Chip » Mar 12th, '13, 20:59

beforewisdom wrote:I'm more interested in this issue now that I've gotten my first taste of freshly imported Japanese tea.

I don't know anything about radiation measurements or relative risks.

I also tend to be a bit cynical. I think I would be suspicious of any studies by parties that may have a vested interest in things being found to be safe ( the Japanese government, Japanese tea farmers, etc ).

Since "you all" are still drinking Japanese tea, am I correct in assuming that a neutral party without a vested interest has tested Japanese tea and found it safe?
Yes, the law in force in Japan effective April 2, 2012 requires local governments to test all test teas for export. They must be below an extremely stringent 100 bq/kilo aracha (dry leaf). This standard is likely the lowest in the world or second best. Bottom line, Japan has sent a clear message to the world, [extreme paraphrase] "we screwed up early in the process, but are being ultra safe now."

So far, every test I have seen is 1-2 bq or not detected. Factor in the +/- error, this is basically zero.

Many vendors if asked can produce a copy of the test results.

Beyond this, independent testing by non government entities (other than some guy with a geiger counter) has confirmed this.

Mar 12th, '13, 21:54

by Running for Tea » Mar 12th, '13, 21:54

NPE wrote:
Seeker wrote:
Maneki Neko wrote:"Yakka Chi"........

...what an idiot :roll:
OMG - I totally agree!!! :lol:
I was gagging, rolling my eyes, and just getting an overall stomach clinch every time the guy mispronounced it. And he couldn't seem to decide which mispronounciation to go with.
Sheesh.
:roll:
To be honest it did strike me as a bit suspect that this guy managed to mispronounce a not too complicated name with such a variety of versions - it actually struck me as an intentional thing. Normally when someone misreads something, it is this one version until corrected. Could it be that someone has taken to trolling and is willing to put a bit of effort into it???
After reading some of the posts in this thread, I had to hear how this guy was pronouncing it... It didn't disappoint :lol: I can't imagine that it was unintentional.

Mar 12th, '13, 22:20

by Chip » Mar 12th, '13, 22:20

BTW, in regards to the comments by Veritas Caute on this video ... I will not get involved in a mud slinging match there as I feel it would only lend credibility to the video.

However, I will say this here since he is pointing to this topic. His comments are based upon half truths. For instance, he was not banned, his account was deactivated pending a review of his last post in this topic. His actions after the deactivation prevented his return to activated status on TeaChat.

And NO, I am not controlled by Kevin nor anyone for that matter.

I did state that the post in question was removed. The post was harrassing and threatening and contained false information.

"Trust" me or not ... I do not think I would be the ongoing elected Moderator of TeaChat for all these years if I had hidden agendas. I endeavor to be as fair to all members as possible (and even reached out to this member), but sometimes members are simply not fair in return and disregard forum rules.

I will also defend the reputation of any vendor if I feel a baseless injustice has been done, "friend or foe" as I have in my previous posts in this topic ... not to mention other times for other vendors as well. This concept will not always be the most popular, I realize this. However, I feel it is important to recognize that the reputation and livelihoods of the people who are also vendors are on the line. And this is clearly defined in the forum rules.

It would not be too much different than if a coworker of yours spread baseless lies and accusation about you at work, causing you to be ostracized, disciplined, fired ... losing your financial means of support.

Mar 12th, '13, 22:26
Vendor Member

Radiation and Tea in Japan

by blairswhitaker » Mar 12th, '13, 22:26

Last edited by blairswhitaker on Apr 14th, '13, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 13th, '13, 02:46

by Seeker » Mar 13th, '13, 02:46

Running for Tea wrote: After reading some of the posts in this thread, I had to hear how this guy was pronouncing it... It didn't disappoint :lol:
:lol:

Mar 13th, '13, 02:49

by Seeker » Mar 13th, '13, 02:49

Chip wrote:
If results of testing for radiation or any contamination for that matter are to be "aired" for public consumption (or indigestion as the case may be)...
uuurrrrrp!
(if I knew how, this is where I'd put in an emoticon hurling)

Mar 13th, '13, 08:45

by beforewisdom » Mar 13th, '13, 08:45

Chip wrote:[
Yes, the law in force in Japan effective April 2, 2012 requires local governments to test all test teas for export. They must be below an extremely stringent 100 bq/kilo aracha (dry leaf). This standard is likely the lowest in the world or second best. Bottom line, Japan has sent a clear message to the world, [extreme paraphrase] "we screwed up early in the process, but are being ultra safe now."

So far, every test I have seen is 1-2 bq or not detected. Factor in the +/- error, this is basically zero.

Many vendors if asked can produce a copy of the test results.

Beyond this, independent testing by non government entities (other than some guy with a geiger counter) has confirmed this.
Thanks for including the part I bolded. If Japanese local governments are anything like American local governments I would have a hard time trusting them :)

Mar 13th, '13, 11:45

by Chip » Mar 13th, '13, 11:45

Thing is ... the entire world is their watchdog now. Any REAL violations would be headlines, knucklehead videos not included. :lol:

Mar 14th, '13, 02:53

by Seeker » Mar 14th, '13, 02:53

Soooo, anyone have any news or data re: 2013 levels/reports?
I'm starting to think about shincha, and wondering (as well as, well, sort of lusting :? )

Mar 14th, '13, 10:57

by AdamMY » Mar 14th, '13, 10:57

Seeker wrote:Soooo, anyone have any news or data re: 2013 levels/reports?
I'm starting to think about shincha, and wondering (as well as, well, sort of lusting :? )
I have not heard of any legitimate radiation reports, which is likely a good sign. As if they were not clean bills of health, it would likely be fairly well known. But then again maybe we could get the inbred guy doing radiation tests of consumer products outside on three mile Island to run a test and see what he turns up. :roll: :lol:

Mar 14th, '13, 12:11

by Chip » Mar 14th, '13, 12:11

I have not been quite so tuned into this this year as I have been over the last two ... so far anyway. But I have not heard any LEGIT reports of contaminated tea.

However any tea that would be contaminated would most likely be yanked immediately ... partly due to the very stringent Japanese law for tea to be exported. Secondly, I am sure NOBODY in Japan wants any bad press of borderline tea making it through the system. That would be disasterous for the entire tea industry that sits balanced on a pinhead already.

Staying with the bread and butter vendors that you normally deal with will almost certainly prevent any problems for you :idea: :!: :arrow:

Mar 14th, '13, 13:19

by Seeker » Mar 14th, '13, 13:19

AdamMY wrote:
Seeker wrote:Soooo, anyone have any news or data re: 2013 levels/reports?
I have not heard of any legitimate radiation reports, which is likely a good sign. As if they were not clean bills of health, it would likely be fairly well known. But then again maybe we could get the inbred guy doing radiation tests of consumer products outside on three mile Island to run a test and see what he turns up. :roll: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Apr 3rd, '13, 12:57

by ChengduCha » Apr 3rd, '13, 12:57

I think even if there would be an exposure to radiation, you're not eating the leafs and tea is "flavored" water with a small quantity of tea leafs used for steeping after all (except matcha of course).

I'd be more concerned about fish / anything that goes inside your body in larger quantities unless the tea is grown directly around Fukushima (the area is still mostly deserted from what I've read) and no company really wants to buy anything from the area anyway due to fears of contamination which might have a negative impact on the company image and financial bottom line.

+ Post Reply