Oolong tea tasting!

Self-promoting plugs, if you gotta do it, do it here!

Oolong tea tasting!

Postby Bad Jedi » Feb 26th, '13, 11:14

Here is the rare opportunity to taste wide selection of Xiamen's factory Zhong Cha (China Tea) commissioned teas which will include :

1. High grade selected Da Hong Pao
2. Aged Shui Xian 5 years
3. Aged TGY 10 years
4. High grade Lao Cong Shui Xian (better than Yellow Tin)
5. High Grade fresh Jade TGY (still in cryo sleep)

DHP_AAAAA.jpg
DHP_AAAAA.jpg (178.05 KiB) Viewed 2161 times

What you get:
At least 9-10 g of each of the above mentioned teas packed in individual packages.

Shipping to anywhere in the world via registered air mail First Class.

Price includes shipping . 40 $ per sample set.

Round is limited for 15 participants only . FCFS!

PM me if you want to take a ride .
Last edited by Bad Jedi on Apr 27th, '13, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Jedi

Re: Oolong tea tasting!

Postby Hannah » Feb 27th, '13, 05:21

I hope I made it in time!!! All over this!
Hannah

Postby Chip » Mar 5th, '13, 03:29

... and this topic is back in circulation after a brief hiatus!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Hannah » Mar 14th, '13, 23:44

Got my samples today!!! :) I got them sent to my workplace so I will be brewing some up when I get home! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hannah

Postby Hannah » Mar 19th, '13, 03:51

So far I've only had time to taste the Da Hong Pao (damn you work!!!)

Verrrrrry nice tea!!! Certainly a complex one!

Seems more smokey than the ones I've had previously, (seven cups, some ebay sellers, jings etc) but that was a very welcome surprise, loved it! :mrgreen:

I split the sample up into 2 (sorry, no pics :( )

1, half the sample went into a 40ml zhuni yixing
2, other half went into a tiny 60ml gaiwan

it was interesting to see the differences! There was a bit of astringency with the gaiwan (perhaps my water may have been a little hot though), but some lovely aftertaste going on!

The zhuni on the other hand took most of the astringency out and really brought out the mellow strong tones - packed a punch!

Looking forward to the rest of the samples!! :D
Hannah

Postby Hannah » Mar 23rd, '13, 01:45

4th infusion of the 10yr aged TGY and still going strong!!!!

mmmmmm! :lol:
Hannah

Postby GARCH » Mar 26th, '13, 04:22

I tried the 2 TGYs in the vacuum sealed bags. Brewed both in a 120ml gaiwan. Used the whole bag.

Pardon my ignorance as I don't have much experience with TGYs, especially green ones. The one in the orangey bag that has QX 005 printed at the top is pretty floral aroma and taste wise. Not much throat feel though but it's chewy. Pretty strong aftertaste as well but didn't last too long.

The other one in the golden bag has that vegetal + sweet, good quality butter taste. This feels slightly thicker in the mouth and more throat feel. The aftertaste wasn't as strong compared to the first.

All in all both are still great teas and definitely worth it! :D Anyone else tried these 2 yet? Thanks so much Bad Jedi for this opportunity! :D
GARCH

Postby AdamMY » Mar 26th, '13, 17:35

Opened up the Da Hong Pao. First brew after steep smells delicious, really hard to describe, more fruits than I would say I am used to getting this early on in a Yancha, but dark and savory fruits as opposed to fresh and light ones. Mouth feel is thick and wonderful, and a very complex taste is going on in my mouth, not quite exactly sure how to put words to it, a lot of minerals and spices is as close as I can get to describing it without stretching too far in my description.

Second infusion is very similar. I personally think this tea excels in a lot of areas that new tea drinkers do not think about when they talk about a tea. While yes the aroma is nice, the taste and the finish, if you are just looking for flavors are almost bland. This tea though is all about all the nice feelings that comes with it. The way it coats the throat and mouth, and the feeling of the finish of the tea, which is not quite a taste, but more of a sensation. Not to mention I just finished the second infusion, and I am already feeling very relaxed, calm, and almost sleepy, which has to be the tea because there was a lot going on in my mind prior to starting the tea.

Do not quite feel like writing any more, I just want to enjoy the tea now.
AdamMY

Postby edkrueger » Mar 31st, '13, 15:10

Here are some pictures of the 10 year TGY:
http://edkimages.blogspot.com/2013/03/j ... r-tgy.html

I quite liked the tea. Aged taste was noticeable in the first few steeps. Then a good solid TGY –easily one of the best I've had.
edkrueger

Postby Math » Mar 31st, '13, 18:18

Damn, have to check out the spam section more often!! Hope you guys enjoyed the tea, next time! :)
Math

Postby Bad Jedi » Apr 1st, '13, 05:12

Math wrote:Damn, have to check out the spam section more often!! Hope you guys enjoyed the tea, next time! :)

:)
Bad Jedi

Postby GARCH » Apr 2nd, '13, 04:36

I tried the Lao Cong SX and I really liked it! Strong yan yun and mineral taste. Comparable to a more pricey Wu Yi SX I bought online. Only problem (I'm just nitpicking) is that the "fired" taste was pretty strong in the first few brews. I think if it'll go away after a few years? This is where the aged SX comes in useful :D
GARCH

Postby Hannah » Apr 3rd, '13, 18:49

I noticed the strong fired taste in my small test gaiwan, but the rest of my sample went into my 60ml yixing I use for this exact category of tea!

Really did it justice! Took the fired taste down a bit and brought out the smoother notes - loved it!!
Hannah

Postby GARCH » Apr 7th, '13, 08:58

Mmmm just had 2 steeps of the Aged Shui Xian. Definitely less fired taste now and replaced with lots of cocoa notes :D very nice! Definitely woke me up, I was really tired prior to this.

Edit: Really opened up in the subsequent infusions. Heavier mineral taste and thick mouthfeel. Cocoa taste seems to give way to a bland sweetness :D
GARCH

Instant Messenger

Permissions