New Tins on Adagio's Site??

Discuss some of the favorite customer-created Signature Blends.

Mar 15th, '13, 16:26

New Tins on Adagio's Site??

by Arshness » Mar 15th, '13, 16:26

Did you guys notice that there are tins available on Signature blends now and you can put your own artwork on them??

Has anyone gotten one yet? Can you send a picture of what they actually look like?

Also does anyone know how to make the artwork print on the sides as well as the top? I noticed some blends had artwork that was on the sides of the tin and the top, but when I made a blend myself, I couldn't find a way to put the art on the sides also.

http://www.adagio.com/signature_blend/b ... lend=30920 < You can see what I mean there.

Mar 17th, '13, 16:43
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: New Tins on Adagio's Site??

by Drax » Mar 17th, '13, 16:43

Oh no! I wish I hadn't seen this... haha. :lol:

I had to order one of the Doctor Who tins because it was just so damned cool.

Okay, a couple.

Uh, I'll post pictures when they come in.

It seems like they've been around for some time, though? Surely somebody else has already gotten one?

Mar 17th, '13, 17:22

by Chip » Mar 17th, '13, 17:22

The ones I looked at (LotR, Hobbit related) only had pouches ... the tins would be a wee bit too fun to collect especially considering I too would likely not drink the teas included. :oops:

I am curious how Adagio manages to sell these ... one would think this would be a copyright infringement kind of thing.

Mar 17th, '13, 19:32

by Devoted135 » Mar 17th, '13, 19:32

I will happily take any blends off of your hands should you give in to temptation. :lol: Though am I right in thinking these are rectangular tins? That seems strange to me.

I imagine they can get around copyright because it is original artwork, not actual images from the fandom in question. I could be wrong though...

Mar 17th, '13, 20:08

by Chip » Mar 17th, '13, 20:08

Since I have wondered about this for some time, I may ask Adagio ownership for an explanation.

Mar 17th, '13, 20:38

by Drax » Mar 17th, '13, 20:38

I wondered about that, too, Chip.

A lot of them are original artwork. But I did notice some were just screenshots of movies or TV shows. . .

But either way, there's possibly some Intellectual Property misuse...

Mar 17th, '13, 20:38

by Drax » Mar 17th, '13, 20:38

Hm, do me a favor and ask after my order ships...? :lol:

Mar 18th, '13, 15:31

by Arshness » Mar 18th, '13, 15:31

They look like rectangular tins and this option was definitely not available last time I looked at Wizard's Grey. I also have no idea how to enable it on my own blends but I'm very interested in making my own blends with custom Tin art and ordering them.
I don't see why Adagio doesn't realize the GOLD MINE they are sitting on here.
Letting us make custom art for Tins and then having an order of Tea SHIPPED in our custom tins... would be an irresistible collectible. Especially if priced reasonably. (As with the tins coming with the larger tea order size as it seems to now instead of costing significantly more).

I wish I knew how to get that idea to them directly and somehow make sure it happened. Haha...
Sadly, I think if Adagio would hire me as a consultant for even a short time I could help them turn this site into *THE* Tea site. I have so many awesome ideas of how to make it an irresistible tea place and they'd all be pretty easy to implement. :)

Oh but thanks for replying Drax! I can't wait to see the pics. :) I'll keep checking back.
(Just from the previews they give they seem to have sharp corner edges and leave some of the tops uncolored... I want to see how that looks.)

Mar 18th, '13, 16:41

by Drax » Mar 18th, '13, 16:41

Yeah, I'm sure the 'sharpness' is just due to the image rendering.

I was curious about how the art works for the tins, as well. If you 'create your own blend' the only photo you add is one for the pouch (or, what would also be the lid on the tin) -- but there doesn't seem to be a way to add art for the sides of the tins. So I don't know how those got created. Maybe you need to create multiple ones in order to 'graduate' to tin size?

Mar 20th, '13, 22:22

by Drax » Mar 20th, '13, 22:22

Okay, the tea I ordered came today. Here's a picture of one of the tins:
tardis_tin.jpg
TARDIS tea tin.
tardis_tin.jpg (27.86 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
It's packed with tea, so here it is open:
tardis_tin_open.jpg
Open TARDIS tea tin.
tardis_tin_open.jpg (27.83 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
I'm not a huge fan of flavored teas, so I had to balance between wanting the tin, and also getting the nearly half pound of tea that comes with it. Fortunately I have previously tried and enjoyed the "monk's blend" tea, which this TARDIS Tea seems to be mimicking, so that shouldn't be too bad.

I picked up a couple others because I'm a sucker for tins. So the containers themselves are pretty nice. Pretty sturdy, and good color/printing of the images. The lid is a typical 'crimped seal' (not sure how else to describe it) -- no hinges or anything, and since the containers are packed, you need to be careful when remove the lid. I should also note that I can *really* smell the tea with the tin closed, so they're not necessarily air tight.

Fun!

Edit: fixed a word
Last edited by Drax on Mar 21st, '13, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 20th, '13, 22:28

by Chip » Mar 20th, '13, 22:28

So, how much was a tin of tea?

It is amazing that they are doing these tins for relatively low volume sales per tin (I would think). Must be some new technology.

I am tempted to get some of the LotR and The Hobbit, but depite seeing the tins I did not see the purchase option.

Mar 20th, '13, 22:52

by Devoted135 » Mar 20th, '13, 22:52

Mmmm, I've had the Tardis blend. It tastes like BLUE! If you like it, then you'll probably also like the Teamblr blend, which has a similar taste profile. Which others did you go for?

Mar 21st, '13, 06:24

by Drax » Mar 21st, '13, 06:24

As far as I could tell, the tins were all $24, that's for 6oz of tea. Given that the pouches (3 oz) are all $10, I suppose that's pretty good. Still, it's generally more expensive than the tea itself, but I think the blends always run this way due to mixing costs (?).

Chip, try a different browser if you haven't already. I just looked at most of the LoTR blends, and I saw a purchase option for them... yes, I'm an enabler :twisted:

Devoted -- I also picked up the Butterbeer and another Doctor Who one called "Four"... again, 90% driven by the tin :lol: I think I'm good for now...

Mar 21st, '13, 07:41

by Drax » Mar 21st, '13, 07:41

I will add that the graphics for the tins is done via stickers. In the long run, the top sticker on the lid is probably fine, but I think the two stickers on the side will be problematic.

So there's two sticks that run the entire perimeter. They start and end on the short sides of the tin, near (but not at) one of the corners. I think there's going to be a tendancy for the stickers to 'lift off' at these points (I've had to press one of them back on already at this point). I may end up going with a more permanent solution to keep them on, like a clear coat.

Not a critical issue, but worth pointing out, as the fun of the tins (for me) is really on the artwork.

Mar 21st, '13, 08:42

by Devoted135 » Mar 21st, '13, 08:42

Haha, nice choices Drax. :) Maybe a layer of some sort of epoxy to keep the stickers on? I wonder if the stuff you can paint on puzzles to keep them together would be safe enough?

+ Post Reply