I found a little treasure...

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 18th, '13, 07:12

I found a little treasure...

by theredbaron » Mar 18th, '13, 07:12

Over the years tea tends to accumulate.
Once a while i go through my stuff and find forgotten boxes and bags of tea. I just pulled out three 250 gram bags of Rou Gui which i have bought very cheaply about ten years ago. The tea was a sample for a shop here in Bangkok, but they did not order more as it was too low fired for their customers used to the extremely high fired Yancha that people prefer in Thailand. I think i got the bags for something like 20 US$ altogether. And subsequently i forgot them.
What a surprise though when now found them and decided to brew a pot - lovely clean aged Rou Gui taste of a very nice quality - and 750 gram of it!

For the near future i have a big house clean up planned, and wonder what else i may find... :D

Mar 18th, '13, 08:08

Re: I found a little treasure...

by Teaism » Mar 18th, '13, 08:08

Wow congratulations!

An aged Rou Gui is a treasure especially the lower fired ones. High firing often used to mask inferior tea taste. Now that it is aged it is even better. A real treasure indeed.

Well done and happy for you.

Cheers!

Mar 18th, '13, 08:33

by theredbaron » Mar 18th, '13, 08:33

Thanks a lot!

It even got better - my wife pulled out more tins of tea, mostly Shui Xien, some of it even older. Dunno yet how it's gonna taste, this one was high fired, i believe. One tin looks and smells quite promising.
I think i'll try them tomorrow, i had too much tea already today. Especially the aged Rou Gui was very energetic!

Mar 18th, '13, 10:22

by Teaism » Mar 18th, '13, 10:22

Wow your lucky day! More and more treasures. :D

Aging will mellow down the "fire taste" of the Shui Xian and if the "base" is good, it will be a great treasure.

Wish I can join you to enjoy the tea. :D

+ Post Reply