Spring Tea Recommendations?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Mar 18th, '13, 10:14

Spring Tea Recommendations?

by beforewisdom » Mar 18th, '13, 10:14

Spring for the northern hemisphere is two days away. I'm still a noob, but I do know there are some nice teas only available this time of year or available at a certain level of quality this time of year.

Green, black or white, what is the tea to get this time of year that I will not have the option to do so later?

Mar 18th, '13, 11:20

Re: Spring Tea Recommendations?

by JRS22 » Mar 18th, '13, 11:20

Here's a link to a thread about shincha, new Japanese greens. Not very active yet but it'll be a very popular thread:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ead#unread

Mar 18th, '13, 11:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 18th, '13, 11:27

Certainly the most notable on TeaChat are "Shincha" (means new harvest) versions of Japanese green teas, most notably sencha. These traditionally are available only for a few months or until sold out, whichever comes first. They usually begin appearing in mid to late April, but some come out later as it is a regional thing. Further south regions come out first, further north later.

Shincha is usually produced slightly differently than the sencha counterparts as they are harvested and go through full production and packaging immediately upon harvesting.

Next, first flush Chinese greens. I usually skip the first available ones as they carry a higher price tag that to me is unwarranted. New harvest Chinese greens can be seen appearing as early as February and more commonly March ... and then most commonly April and later. It often seems the goal with these, there is a race to be the first. So, I often feel that maybe they would have been better and cheaper if harvested when ready.

And third ... Darjeeling first flush. Again, there is a race to be the first, but with a little patience you can get excellent first flush Darjeeling that is usually better priced than the very first offerings.

The key to remember, first is not mean best!!!

Mar 19th, '13, 05:32

by MikeTaster » Mar 19th, '13, 05:32

The key to remember, first is not mean best!!!
I would like to make my first order for FF darjeeling. Would you recommend this shop: http://www.darjeelingteaxpress.com ??

Mar 19th, '13, 07:34

by chado.my.teaway » Mar 19th, '13, 07:34

Of course Mike! Its a very good source for Darjeeling FF.

http://www.thunderbolttea.com/

And here too;)

And Chineese green tea picked before 4.04;)

If that will be your 1st FF order, wait few weeks and order sampel pack. In 2011 I ordered 8 teas, 25 g each.

Mar 20th, '13, 09:33

by MikeTaster » Mar 20th, '13, 09:33

So where should I make my first FF order (I'm form Poland)?
I love that big whole green leaved in darjeeling express :)

Mar 20th, '13, 11:57

by chado.my.teaway » Mar 20th, '13, 11:57

Maybe Five Star Tea? New FF will be available soon I think. Now You can try FF 2011. Or eherbata.pl they have every year fresh teas.

Check PM

+ Post Reply