Tea House in DC?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 14th, '13, 00:01

Tea House in DC?

by ceterisparibus » Mar 14th, '13, 00:01

I'm heading up to Washington DC soon. I'll be visiting the Sackler Freer Galleries while I'm up there. Any Tea Houses worth going out of your way for? I'll be around the DuPont Circle area.

Thanks!

Mar 14th, '13, 10:28

Re: Tea House in DC?

by beforewisdom » Mar 14th, '13, 10:28

There is a teaism in Dupont circle.

On the upside, they have nice Asianish food too. On the downside you are only going to get something made from teabag.

Also in Dupont Circle, is a small locally owned chain called "Capital Teas". They don't serve tea, it is expensive and they don't label their prices. However, they have knowledgeable help and a huge variety of tea.

Mar 15th, '13, 17:05

by ceterisparibus » Mar 15th, '13, 17:05

Capital Teas now serves by the cup. :)
Stopped by to warm up with some Genmaicha. Nice people.
Thanks for the tip.

Mar 16th, '13, 17:24

by beforewisdom » Mar 16th, '13, 17:24

The one in Dupont Circle?

The one time I was there it didn't look they had the room for tables, chairs, etc.

Is the tea properly brewed or do they throw a tea bag in a pot?

Mar 17th, '13, 09:40

by ceterisparibus » Mar 17th, '13, 09:40

No, not a tea house proper. Loose leaf into a bag and served in a paper cup to go.

Mar 17th, '13, 14:08

by phoenixK » Mar 17th, '13, 14:08

Ching Ching Cha in Georgetown is fun, though expensive. They offer Gong Fu Cha service, and have a lot of teaware.

http://www.chingchingcha.com/tea.html

Mar 17th, '13, 16:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Mar 17th, '13, 16:48

I can give a thumbs up to Ching Ching Cha as well, it's over in Georgetown.

As with any commercial enterprise, you are paying a lot more for what you probably could enjoy at home. But the ambiance is rather nice.

I haven't been able to explore too much, but I've been surprised at the dearth of tea houses in this area...

Mar 18th, '13, 12:32

by beforewisdom » Mar 18th, '13, 12:32

I'm guessing the answer is "no" since it is in Georgetown, BUT

- is it metrorail accessible ( within a half mile walk )?

- is there easy parking nearby?

Mar 18th, '13, 16:04

by TokyoB » Mar 18th, '13, 16:04

- There is no metro in Georgetown
- There is a parking garage nearby
- Street parking in Georgetown is possible but difficult

Mar 18th, '13, 16:06

by beforewisdom » Mar 18th, '13, 16:06

Is it easy to drive to from Maryland or are you stuck going through endless traffic lights down 355?

Mar 19th, '13, 07:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Mar 19th, '13, 07:33

Foggy Bottom and Rosslyn metro stop are the closest stops to Ching Ching, and both are just over 1 mile away.

I can't say how the driving is from Maryland, but depending on the time of day, I (personally) would not drive there -- the congestion is too high for my tastes (both street and sidewalk).

Apr 5th, '13, 14:13

by Theo Sinensis » Apr 5th, '13, 14:13

ceterisparibus wrote:No, not a tea house proper. Loose leaf into a bag and served in a paper cup to go.
If you're talking about Teaism, I've only been to the one in DuPont Circle once, but I can say that that is not what they do at the Alexandria location. They do use a bag method of infusion, but the tea is removed after steeping, and served in a teapot. They also seem to understand proper water temperatures, which is not always the case with some establishments, particularly with greens and whites.

Apr 6th, '13, 17:17

by beforewisdom » Apr 6th, '13, 17:17

Theo Sinensis wrote:
ceterisparibus wrote:No, not a tea house proper. Loose leaf into a bag and served in a paper cup to go.
If you're talking about Teaism, I've only been to the one in DuPont Circle once, but I can say that that is not what they do at the Alexandria location. They do use a bag method of infusion, but the tea is removed after steeping, and served in a teapot. They also seem to understand proper water temperatures, which is not always the case with some establishments, particularly with greens and whites.
The quote was about Capital Teas in Dupont Circle.

Apr 6th, '13, 20:45

by Splinters » Apr 6th, '13, 20:45

There is one high-end tea house in DC worth noting. It's the Tea Cellar in the Park Hyatt. Look up the menu on the web to see what I mean.

A step down is Ching Ching Cha in Georgetown. It has a pleasant atmosphere and some reasonably solid teas, mostly from Taiwan. You shouldn't avoid Georgetown simply because it's a 20 minute walk from a metro station. It the oldest neighborhood in DC, and a charming place to visit. It would be a shame to miss.

There are also several Teaisms and Capital Teas in the area. Teaism has some nice teas and solid bento boxes. There's one a block from the White House, so it's worth a look. Capital Tea sells several kinds of teas, with a lean on flavored varieties.

Apr 7th, '13, 08:40

by beforewisdom » Apr 7th, '13, 08:40

Splinters wrote:There is one high-end tea house in DC worth noting. It's the Tea Cellar in the Park Hyatt. Look up the menu on the web to see what I mean.
I have not even heard of the place. Thank you. I will looked it up on Yelp:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tea-cellar-washington

A step down is Ching Ching Cha in Georgetown. It has a pleasant atmosphere and some reasonably solid teas, mostly from Taiwan. You shouldn't avoid Georgetown simply because it's a 20 minute walk from a metro station. It the oldest neighborhood in DC, and a charming place to visit. It would be a shame to miss.
Once Spring cranks up the temperature another 10 degrees I will make the walk :)

Here is the Yelp page for other people interested
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ching-ching-cha-washington

+ Post Reply