Mar 20th, '13, 10:29

Re: How long until a pot is dry?

by Maneki Neko » Mar 20th, '13, 10:29

Chip wrote:
Gollum wrote:Nasty little Hobbitsies hide in there!!! :evil:

:mrgreen:
Hahahahaha! :lol:
Chip wrote:Obviously ultra hot water rinsing and tea will deal with most things, but if you put it in a cabinet or box for a while while still wet ... especially in the spout ... you may have a nasty discovery when you get it out.
I guess I need to take a good look inside the spout then... Wish I had a little surgical camera for that...or at least a flashlight :roll:

Mar 20th, '13, 13:22

by futurebird » Mar 20th, '13, 13:22

just blow in to it and see if anything pops out.

Mar 20th, '13, 13:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 20th, '13, 13:35

Maneki Neko wrote:
Chip wrote:Obviously ultra hot water rinsing and tea will deal with most things, but if you put it in a cabinet or box for a while while still wet ... especially in the spout ... you may have a nasty discovery when you get it out.
I guess I need to take a good look inside the spout then... Wish I had a little surgical camera for that...or at least a flashlight :roll:
I bet you could score one on the cheap on ebay ... not surgical quality albeit .... and hopefully not one that has been "used." :shock:
futurebird wrote:just blow in to it and see if anything pops out.
Not sure if you are alluding to the troll in The Hobbit when he reaches around to grab his giant hanky (pulling Bilbo along with it) and sneezing ... and lo and behold there was Bilbo ... he thought he sneezed Bilbo out of his nose. :lol:

OK ... I seem to have taken this topic on a Hobbit Trail.

Mar 21st, '13, 00:29

by Maneki Neko » Mar 21st, '13, 00:29

Ok, I seem to have gotten away with it... With the best of my abilities (a bright desk light and a keen eye) I couldn't see anything suspicious in my Banko's spout, no mold, no hobbitses, no gollum...

Now I'm gonna try and find a spout cleaning brush, just to have it on hand :wink:

Mar 21st, '13, 04:51

by Alex » Mar 21st, '13, 04:51

I seriously wouldn't bother. I've never had an issue with pots and mold. Just rinse with warm/hot water and put in the cupboard with the lid off for 24 hours.

Mar 21st, '13, 07:17

by David R. » Mar 21st, '13, 07:17

I use to care and rinse my teapots with boiling water after each session. Now I just rinse the pot at the sink and let it dry there. So far so good.

Mar 21st, '13, 09:16

by Tead Off » Mar 21st, '13, 09:16

David R. wrote:I use to care and rinse my teapots with boiling water after each session. Now I just rinse the pot at the sink and let it dry there. So far so good.
25 years of doing just that and never have had a problem. But, one of the benefits of gongfu cha is filling the pot with boiling water to preheat your pot and teaware. This is a nice hygienic practice.

One of the other aspects of pots drying is the escape of moisture through the filtration hole(s) in the teapot. You would have to have a pretty dank cupboard for the moisture to remain inside a teapot. It's possible, but not that likely. The only teaware I've come across that's developed mold were 2 Japanese chawans bought on ebay that came that way. I could do nothing to get it out. Both raku pieces, low fired, old, and obviously stored in a very dark, humid, airless place.

Mar 21st, '13, 09:18

by Tead Off » Mar 21st, '13, 09:18

and, never take your cords off!! :D

+ Post Reply