What say you TCers ... what do you use to brew Gyokuro? Up to 7 votes.

Shiboridashi
21%
Hobin
41%
Gaiwan or "Gaiwan"
3%
Korean "Teavel Set/Tea for One Set"
5%
Small Kyusu
31%
Improv (share)
No votes
Other (share)
No votes

Total votes: 39

Mar 24th, '13, 15:08
Scrolling: scrolling

Shiboridashi, Hobin ... Gyokuro "brew things"

by Chip » Mar 24th, '13, 15:08

With the shipping of GY-OTTI 1 (OTTI 17), it seems as good a time as any to visit teaware that matches the needs of Gyokuro!

Shiboridashi, Hobin (spelled numerous ways), Gyokuro sets, Small to tiny Kyusu, even Korean so called travel sets or tea for one sets.

Orrrr, perhaps you have some other brew vessel for this purpose.

Let us not forget the cups as well ... they are often specialized for this purpose.

Regardless, please share with us your "Gyokuro brew ... enjoyment ... things."

EDIT: also share what types of vessels you use in order pf use or preference!

Mar 24th, '13, 15:17

Re: Shiboridashi, Hobin ... Gyokuro "brew things"

by AdamMY » Mar 24th, '13, 15:17

Dreaming of a White Christmas by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

My gyokuro set up. A roughly 90ml houhin as somewhat expected. The slightly unexpected part is the guinomi. I have never bought specific Gyokuro cups, because I have never really served gyokuro to more than 1 other person at a time. The teeny tiny gyokuro cups I think would make it easy to serve to 4 maybe even 5 people with my 90ml houhin.

For personal drinking I have found that a guinomi ( watch sizes as they can be all over the place), can work quite well, or even a smaller yunomi. My guinomi probably holds about 70-80ml, so paired with my 90ml houhin gets filled to about the 70-80% fill level.

I hope this is what you had in mind Chip.

Mar 24th, '13, 16:58

by NPE » Mar 24th, '13, 16:58

My two favourite sets for Gyokuro are this lovely set from Andrzej Bero which has to do most of the work since it is not only beautiful, makes the tea taste wonderful but is also exceedingly easy to clean.
The second set I have dedicated to Gyokuro is this hohin from Toju which has found a friend in this yunomi that I bought years ago somewhere in Arnhem (NL).
Attachments
AB_GY.jpg
AB_GY.jpg (25.76 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
toju.jpg
toju.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 3144 times

Mar 24th, '13, 17:00

by chado.my.teaway » Mar 24th, '13, 17:00

Thats my shibo. 80ml. But I drink Gyokuro maybe 1 time per month.
Attachments
DSC_0090.JPG
DSC_0090.JPG (15.67 KiB) Viewed 3144 times

Mar 24th, '13, 20:40

by sherubtse » Mar 24th, '13, 20:40

Chip wrote:Shiboridashi, Hobin (spelled numerous ways), Gyokuro sets, Small to tiny Kyusu, even Korean so called travel sets or tea for one sets.
Maybe not the right place to pose this, but, what is the difference in function and uses between a shib and a hohin? :?:

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Mar 24th, '13, 21:09

by Chip » Mar 24th, '13, 21:09

sherubtse wrote:
Chip wrote:Shiboridashi, Hobin (spelled numerous ways), Gyokuro sets, Small to tiny Kyusu, even Korean so called travel sets or tea for one sets.
Maybe not the right place to pose this, but, what is the difference in function and uses between a shib and a hohin? :?:
Perfect place to ask.

I see little difference ... I like to use both. Depends on my mood and to a degree the tea chosen at selection time.

One has a screen, one has a rake ... one tends to be deeper and the other more shallow. Hobins can be larger ... and these things may influence my choice at the time.

If leaf particles appear smaller and more broken, maybe a Hobin is a better choice as the shib may clog up.

If I want the water to cool down faster, I choose a shib.

While I personally use these mostly for Gyokuro, Hobin can do a realllly bangin' job on a concentrated/high ratio sencha.

I know other members use these for a wider array of tea than the topic is designed for ... but whatever. :mrgreen:

Mar 25th, '13, 04:06

by Alex » Mar 25th, '13, 04:06

I don't drink Gyokuro very often so it doesnt warrant a vessel. I'd use my 150ml kyusu if I did.

Mar 25th, '13, 07:16

by Oni » Mar 25th, '13, 07:16

This is my gyokuro set.

Mar 25th, '13, 09:10

by Running for Tea » Mar 25th, '13, 09:10

I have a 4 oz houhin and a 2 oz kyusu that I use for gyokuro. I predict some gyokuro in today's forecast, so pictures in the near future.
Usuaully, I'll start a new tea in the kyusu until I get the brewing down (don't want to waste good leaf).

Mar 25th, '13, 17:32

by yalokinh » Mar 25th, '13, 17:32

Whats the difference between Hohin and Hobin, I thought it was just Hohin.

Mar 25th, '13, 18:13

by Drax » Mar 25th, '13, 18:13

There is technically no difference. This question comes up from time to time, as there are a lot of variations.

In Japanese, 瓶 is the character for 'bottle' and is 99% of the time pronounced "bin." I just double-checked an online dictionary and of the 44 entries that have the 瓶 character, the word "houbin" is the only one that also says "houhin." But there is evidence that 'hin' may be an old pronunciation that has stuck.

Even in Japanese, we'll see vendors list the item as 泡瓶 or 宝瓶. Both of the first characters are "hou." I think the first one (泡: bubble, foam) was more original, but the second one (宝) means "treasure," so that one may have crept into use.

If you're really curious (and still with no solid answer), I asked this question on a Japanese language forum awhile back, and you can see our discussion over here; the first few posts cover the main part, the rest is a discussion on a spammer comment.

+ Post Reply