Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!


Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby SilentChaos » Mar 25th, '13, 23:14

JB-ONE wrote:Do those circles on the inside mean it's wheel thrown? My other yixings don't have them.


I'm just curious, can we have a look at these other yixings mentioned? :)
User avatar
SilentChaos
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Feb 2nd, '1
Location: Taipei

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby MarshalN » Mar 26th, '13, 02:37

JB-ONE wrote:80 ml from Origin Tea 90s. I was told it came from either factory 1 or a factory 1 potter. I had someone take a look at it in Chinatown yesterday who sells yixings and they thought it was a Yixing, but they think it was it was made in Taiwan. It does also have those circular rings around the insisde.

Any thoughts?


Which Chinatown is this? I'm more curious to see pots from this Chinatown seller so to have a sense of what kind of expert we're dealing with. My experience is that most vendors tend to bad mouth other vendor's stuff.
User avatar
MarshalN
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: Mar 15th, '

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby JB-ONE » Mar 26th, '13, 14:34

Which Chinatown is this? I'm more curious to see pots from this Chinatown seller so to have a sense of what kind of expert we're dealing with. My experience is that most vendors tend to bad mouth other vendor's stuff.[/quote]

Yes, I agree with you. Thats why I posted it here to get an unbiased opinion.
It's NYC Chinatown on Mulberry St. I'm sure some people on the board know her. In all fairness though, she really didn't say anything bad. She said it was yixing clay, but that it looked to be made in Taiwan.
JB-ONE
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Dec 10th, '

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby JB-ONE » Mar 26th, '13, 15:03

rsz_img_1112 qing.jpg
about 40 bucks Chinatown
rsz_img_1112 qing.jpg (48.36 KiB) Viewed 472 times
I'm just curious, can we have a look at these other yixings mentioned? :)[/quote]
Attachments
IMG_0714_opt resized.jpg
iside of larger teapot from Chinatown
IMG_0714_opt resized.jpg (33.87 KiB) Viewed 472 times
rsz_img_1107.jpg
Chen's teapot
rsz_img_1107.jpg (45.18 KiB) Viewed 472 times
JB-ONE
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Dec 10th, '

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby futurebird » Mar 26th, '13, 15:03

Did she say why? What about it?
futurebird
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Feb 12th, '
Location: South Bronx, NYC

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby futurebird » Mar 26th, '13, 15:05

Image

I have a few pots with inner radial marks like these, what part of the production process makes these marks?
futurebird
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Feb 12th, '
Location: South Bronx, NYC

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby JB-ONE » Mar 26th, '13, 15:09

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm really just curious to know as I'm no expert on yixing. I'm just saying none of my other pots have circular rings going around the whole inside of the pot.
JB-ONE
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Dec 10th, '

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby JB-ONE » Mar 26th, '13, 15:21

Chinatown pot
Attachments
rsz_img_1121.jpg
rsz_img_1121.jpg (51.86 KiB) Viewed 464 times
JB-ONE
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Dec 10th, '

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby futurebird » Mar 26th, '13, 15:31

futurebird wrote:Did she say why? What about it?


Is anyone offended? I'm just curious how people look at a pot and know where it was made and how it was made etc. For example, this has me a bit stumped,

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1980s- ... eapot-40ml
(40ml)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251240594145?ss ... 1439.l2649
(50ml)

http://store.thechineseteashop.com/Yixi ... rm-001.htm
(40ml, ball filter)


Three teapots, all the same size, color and style, but with very different prices. One is vintage, so it's value might be as a piece of history, and the clay looks a bit more natural (subtile variation in color, the quality of the surface) . But beyond that, I've been trying to understand the differences. I have the least expensive of these pots. The inside has radial marks, but the color of the clay is very uniform.

The issue with wheels is that yixing clay can't be shaped in that way because it is too dense. But marks like those on your pot can be formed when turning the pot by hand and cutting it. If it is yixing clay (from what little I know I don't se why it wouldn't be) it can't be shaped on a wheel.
Last edited by futurebird on Mar 26th, '13, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
futurebird
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Feb 12th, '
Location: South Bronx, NYC

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby JB-ONE » Mar 26th, '13, 15:46

The issue with wheels is that yixing clay can't be shaped in that way because it is too dense. But marks like those on your pot can be formed when turning the pot by hand and cutting it. If it is yixing clay (from what little I know I don't se why it wouldn't be) it can't be shaped on a wheel.[/quote]

Thanks. That's a good point. I like your positive attitude!
JB-ONE
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Dec 10th, '

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby TIM » Mar 26th, '13, 16:13

you can't just look at the bottom, how about the top side of the inner wall?

Yixing are build by slabs, like a puzzle. Marks like the vertical upward strokes are for smoothing and blending the inner joins together. If the build is not by the above construction, it should not be labeled as a yixing. Just IMHO.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/pottery-mak ... lt-teapot/
User avatar
TIM
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 4th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby wyardley » Mar 26th, '13, 17:45

The marks are just one way of finishing the inside. Modern handmade or hand finished pots will almost always have the inside detailed pretty neatly (whether smoothed out, or with a slightly textured, but neat looking) surface).
User avatar
wyardley
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Jan 11th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby SilentChaos » Mar 26th, '13, 19:27

TIM wrote:you can't just look at the bottom, how about the top side of the inner wall?

Yixing are build by slabs, like a puzzle. Marks like the vertical upward strokes are for smoothing and blending the inner joins together. If the build is not by the above construction, it should not be labeled as a yixing. Just IMHO.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/pottery-mak ... lt-teapot/


Just my personal opinion....but wouldn't that define out of existence how the majority of Yixing pots are made (with molds)? I mean...I'm happy to call those purely handmade and well made (with no mold) yixings masterpiece yixings but....
User avatar
SilentChaos
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Feb 2nd, '1
Location: Taipei

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby TIM » Mar 26th, '13, 19:57

SilentChaos wrote:
TIM wrote:you can't just look at the bottom, how about the top side of the inner wall?

Yixing are build by slabs, like a puzzle. Marks like the vertical upward strokes are for smoothing and blending the inner joins together. If the build is not by the above construction, it should not be labeled as a yixing. Just IMHO.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/pottery-mak ... lt-teapot/


Just my personal opinion....but wouldn't that define out of existence how the majority of Yixing pots are made (with molds)? I mean...I'm happy to call those purely handmade and well made (with no mold) yixings masterpiece yixings but....


Isn't mold is still slabs build? Or wheel thrown??
User avatar
TIM
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 4th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby SilentChaos » Mar 26th, '13, 20:54

TIM wrote:
SilentChaos wrote:
TIM wrote:you can't just look at the bottom, how about the top side of the inner wall?

Yixing are build by slabs, like a puzzle. Marks like the vertical upward strokes are for smoothing and blending the inner joins together. If the build is not by the above construction, it should not be labeled as a yixing. Just IMHO.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/pottery-mak ... lt-teapot/


Just my personal opinion....but wouldn't that define out of existence how the majority of Yixing pots are made (with molds)? I mean...I'm happy to call those purely handmade and well made (with no mold) yixings masterpiece yixings but....


Isn't mold is still slabs build? Or wheel thrown??


Ah okay. Taken in that sense, yes then I agree. :)
User avatar
SilentChaos
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Feb 2nd, '1
Location: Taipei

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation