OTTI 17, AKA GY-OTTI 1

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 17, AKA GY-OTTI 1

Postby Drax » Mar 26th, '13, 12:01

Thanks, Chip! I brought my set-up into work so that I could enjoy a couple of the selections as soon as possible!

In general, how do you recommend subsequent steeps, both time and temperature? Is it like sencha, going shorter on the 2nd steep, and then increasing the time (along with temp)? Any typical "max" number of steeps for gyokuro?
Drax

Postby JRS22 » Mar 26th, '13, 12:04

Time to dust off the tea thermometer and test my usual gyo water cooling technique! These divergent steeping approaches make me extra happy to have doubled on this OTTI.
JRS22

Postby Chip » Mar 26th, '13, 12:43

Drax wrote:Thanks, Chip! I brought my set-up into work so that I could enjoy a couple of the selections as soon as possible!

In general, how do you recommend subsequent steeps, both time and temperature? Is it like sencha, going shorter on the 2nd steep, and then increasing the time (along with temp)? Any typical "max" number of steeps for gyokuro?

Ooops, forgot to include the successive steeps portion of my post. I will edit accordingly.

For successive steeps, I typically recommend increasing temp by around 10* F for each successive steep, bu=y the end boiling water is even fine!. 2nd steep is SHORT, 15-30 seconds. 3rd, 60 ... etc. . 2nd steep is SHORT, 15-30 seconds. 3rd, 60 ... etc.

Depending on how well I feel the tea is doing (and smelling in the pot ... this tells me if it still has life worth redeeming), I will go 5 or more steeps. Albeit, by the end it is basically sweet tea water, but I enjoy it.

Some feel the need to stop after 2 or 3 steeps ...
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Mar 26th, '13, 12:45

JRS22 wrote:Time to dust off the tea thermometer and test my usual gyo water cooling technique! These divergent steeping approaches make me extra happy to have doubled on this OTTI.

Yes, I know. I actually hoped for a general rule of thumb, but ... :mrgreen: ... well that would be tooooo easy, right?
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Drax » Mar 26th, '13, 18:28

I had a chance to try #1 today. It was spectacular. I kept the temperature around 110F for the first couple steeps. I think I went about 6 or 7 steeps total. It started off with such incredibly thick grassiness, and then it developed a bite and became more vegetal as it went on (rather sencha-like), but then as I got to the 6th or 7th steep, it just got lighter.

Hopefully I have enough time at work tomorrow try the others!
Drax

Postby Chip » Mar 26th, '13, 19:20

Drax wrote:I had a chance to try #1 today. It was spectacular. I kept the temperature around 110F for the first couple steeps. I think I went about 6 or 7 steeps total. It started off with such incredibly thick grassiness, and then it developed a bite and became more vegetal as it went on (rather sencha-like), but then as I got to the 6th or 7th steep, it just got lighter.

Hopefully I have enough time at work tomorrow try the others!

Great! Temperature is the key to #1, I feel!!!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Running for Tea » Mar 27th, '13, 08:19

After seeing these brew recommendations, I will NOT be using my 4 oz houhin. The 2.5:1 was a bit surprising to me (I am new to GOOD gyokuro), so I will be sticking to the 2 oz kyusu for these. I decided to hold off until the weekend/next week to begin brewing. These teas require absolute relaxation and focus :D
Running for Tea

Postby Chip » Mar 27th, '13, 11:01

Running for Tea wrote:After seeing these brew recommendations, I will NOT be using my 4 oz houhin. The 2.5:1 was a bit surprising to me (I am new to GOOD gyokuro), so I will be sticking to the 2 oz kyusu for these. I decided to hold off until the weekend/next week to begin brewing. These teas require absolute relaxation and focus :D

:mrgreen:

I remember when I made the jump from Western brewing of Gyokuro to trying 2:1 ... I was literally astounded by the transformation. I never went back!

However, if you try this ratio with inferior grades, you will not be ... pleased with the results. :twisted:

Regarding pot size. Larger is usually OK as long as you preheat. If you do go too small, as 2-2.5 grams of leaves expand, they will take up a lot of space ... a kyusu holding 2 ounces may only hold 1 after a steep of two. Just keep this in mind. It is OK, you just won't get 2 ounces of water in there.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Devoted135 » Mar 27th, '13, 11:22

Hmm, okay. So I can use my 6oz hobin as long as I use attentive "portion control?" :P

*wanders off to find an appropriate cooling vessel that can easily identify what "2oz" is*
Devoted135

Postby Chip » Mar 27th, '13, 11:25

Devoted135 wrote:Hmm, okay. So I can use my 6oz hobin as long as I use attentive "portion control?" :P

*wanders off to find an appropriate cooling vessel that can easily identify what "2oz" is*

That is big. :mrgreen: Hm, preheat the entire or most of the vessel which will prevent excessive cooling.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Devoted135 » Mar 27th, '13, 11:39

Chip wrote:
Devoted135 wrote:Hmm, okay. So I can use my 6oz hobin as long as I use attentive "portion control?" :P

That is big. :mrgreen: Hm, preheat the entire or most of the vessel which will prevent excessive cooling.

Will do! Thanks! :D
Devoted135

Postby Running for Tea » Mar 27th, '13, 12:01

Chip wrote:
Running for Tea wrote:After seeing these brew recommendations, I will NOT be using my 4 oz houhin. The 2.5:1 was a bit surprising to me (I am new to GOOD gyokuro), so I will be sticking to the 2 oz kyusu for these. I decided to hold off until the weekend/next week to begin brewing. These teas require absolute relaxation and focus :D

:mrgreen:

I remember when I made the jump from Western brewing of Gyokuro to trying 2:1 ... I was literally astounded by the transformation. I never went back!

However, if you try this ratio with inferior grades, you will not be ... pleased with the results. :twisted:

Regarding pot size. Larger is usually OK as long as you preheat. If you do go too small, as 2-2.5 grams of leaves expand, they will take up a lot of space ... a kyusu holding 2 ounces may only hold 1 after a steep of two. Just keep this in mind. It is OK, you just won't get 2 ounces of water in there.

Thanks Chip! My main concern with the 4 oz was the amount of leaf I'd need to use. I didn't take the expanding leaves into consideration with the 2 oz kyusu. I may go with the 4 oz houhin but stick to 2 oz steeps. I have a few days to think about it (as well as listen to suggestions :D )
Running for Tea

Postby Chip » Mar 27th, '13, 13:26

Just remember, you do not have be too concerned with topping the pot off with water for Gyokuro as long as you preheat adequately.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Drax » Mar 27th, '13, 13:28

I had a go with #2 this morning. I brewed it at the 2.5:1 ratio, preheated shibo, and steeped at 135F. This one held on to its slickness through the first few steeps, and this one seemed to start out on the vegetal (vice grassy) side. On the third steep I started to get citrus-like tones, though it may have just been the way I was sensing a small amount of bite. During the rest of my time with this one, I had vegetal, floral, and citrus tones, just getting lighter and lighter. I took it 6 steeps total, 180s and 170F on my last brew.

If I'm lucky and this upcoming meeting gets out on time, I may be able to try #3 in a couple hours.
Drax

Postby Chip » Mar 27th, '13, 13:32

Drax wrote:I had a go with #2 this morning. I brewed it at the 2.5:1 ratio, preheated shibo, and steeped at 135F. This one held on to its slickness through the first few steeps, and this one seemed to start out on the vegetal (vice grassy) side. On the third steep I started to get citrus-like tones, though it may have just been the way I was sensing a small amount of bite. During the rest of my time with this one, I had vegetal, floral, and citrus tones, just getting lighter and lighter. I took it 6 steeps total, 180s and 170F on my last brew.

If I'm lucky and this upcoming meeting gets out on time, I may be able to try #3 in a couple hours.

Without saying too much, I felt #2 had perhaps the most punch ... I try not to say too much early on in the tastings so as not to sway participants.

These were all at the same price point, but I felt all were quite different from each other.
Chip
Mod/Admin

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions