OTTI 17, AKA GY-OTTI 1

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 17, AKA GY-OTTI 1

Postby Chip » Mar 27th, '13, 13:34

OK, adding my recommendations for brewing #4. I don't think I have quite arrived at the final destination on that one yet, but close. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby victoria3 » Mar 27th, '13, 17:18

I started today with #1. It is long lasting, rich, green and vegetal. I followed Chips parameters more or less;

1st Steep: 5 grams leaf /2oz water /110 degrees /75 seconds; awesome a deep warmth with green vegetable sweet overtones.
2nd Steep: 2oz. /120 degrees /45 seconds; green green green with depth and sweetness.
3rd Steep: 2 oz /130 degrees /70 seconds; 60 seconds would be less astringent.
4th Steep: 2oz /135 degrees /120 seconds; still green with complex seaweed aroma and flavors come out.
5th Steep: 2oz /145 /3 minutes; green lighter but still rich seaweedy.
6th Steep: 2oz /170 /4 minutes; still has nice green seaweed notes.
OTTI-17-#1_leaves.jpg
OTTI-17-#1_leaves.jpg (51.83 KiB) Viewed 887 times

I'm impressed by its longevity - by how many rich & flavorful steeps were possible. At first I thought this was more like sincha but after the 3rd steep an altogether different seaweed flavor blossomed. Good thing I got a scale and thermometer; it turns out I've been steeping +-20 degrees too cool for the past year and a half.
victoria3

Postby Chip » Mar 27th, '13, 17:25

Glad to hear of your innitial success! :mrgreen:

I think I have enough of #1 for one round. You guys really cleaned me out!!! :lol:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby JRS22 » Mar 27th, '13, 17:42

I tried #3 today, following Chip's brewing parameters. I'll brew it with the vendor's parameters tomorrow. The first steep was rich and sweet and vegetal, with that gyo richness that I love. The second steep was good, but the third was flat. In my mind I was comparing it to my memories of a wonderful gyo from the same vendor that was good for 5 steeps. I checked prices, and #3 sells for $41/100 grams, while my beloved gyo is $36/50 grams. In this case I felt the price explained the difference.
JRS22

Postby victoria3 » Mar 27th, '13, 17:43

Chip wrote:Glad to hear of your innitial success! :mrgreen:
I think I have enough of #1 for one round. You guys really cleaned me out!!! :lol:

uppps... you're welcome to join me here on the west coast since you sent me 2x. I have a question; since Gyokuro is shaded for a few weeks, is Sincha simply 1st flush or is it also shaded? if so then what is the difference?
victoria3

Postby GreenwoodStudio » Mar 27th, '13, 17:46

Made myself a small Shib especially for this so I'm holding up until they come out of the kiln (fri. morning) A lesson in patience for me :)
GreenwoodStudio

Postby Chip » Mar 27th, '13, 17:53

JRS22 wrote:I tried #3 today, following Chip's brewing parameters. I'll brew it with the vendor's parameters tomorrow. The first steep was rich and sweet and vegetal, with that gyo richness that I love. The second steep was good, but the third was flat. In my mind I was comparing it to my memories of a wonderful gyo from the same vendor that was good for 5 steeps. I checked prices, and #3 sells for $41/100 grams, while my beloved gyo is $36/50 grams. In this case I felt the price explained the difference.

I am guessing you were comparing to Kame?

Yes, I saw the price drop of that today (have been watching it drop as the Yen dropped to the Dollar). It was retailing for over 48 USD/100 grams when I purchased these!!! :shock: Obviously I wish I had waited, but who was to know this currency adjustment was coming.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Mar 27th, '13, 17:53

victoria3 wrote:
Chip wrote:Glad to hear of your innitial success! :mrgreen:

uppps... you're welcome to join me here on the west coast since you sent me 2x. I have a question; since Gyokuro is shaded for a few weeks, is Sincha simply 1st flush or is it also shaded? if so then what is the difference?

Gyokuro is shaded as is Kabuse, Kabuse is shaded for a shorter length of time than Gyokuro.

Shincha, unless you are buying shincha versions of Gyokuro or Kabuse will be grown in the full sun right up to harvest. Shincha simply means "new harvest."
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Mar 27th, '13, 17:55

GreenwoodStudio wrote:Made myself a small Shib especially for this so I'm holding up until they come out of the kiln (fri. morning) A lesson in patience for me :)

Oh? Do tell ... er show!!! Pics or it did not happen!!! :mrgreen: :idea: :!: :arrow:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby JRS22 » Mar 27th, '13, 22:07

Chip wrote:
JRS22 wrote:I tried #3 today, following Chip's brewing parameters. I'll brew it with the vendor's parameters tomorrow. The first steep was rich and sweet and vegetal, with that gyo richness that I love. The second steep was good, but the third was flat. In my mind I was comparing it to my memories of a wonderful gyo from the same vendor that was good for 5 steeps. I checked prices, and #3 sells for $41/100 grams, while my beloved gyo is $36/50 grams. In this case I felt the price explained the difference.

I am guessing you were comparing to Kame?

Yes, I saw the price drop of that today (have been watching it drop as the Yen dropped to the Dollar). It was retailing for over 48 USD/100 grams when I purchased these!!! :shock: Obviously I wish I had waited, but who was to know this currency adjustment was coming.

Kame isn't expensive enough for me - it's only $26.50 per 50 grams. I've fallen in love with the Tsuru Jirushi at $36 per 50 grams. That's why I'm here searching for a new love!
JRS22

Postby JRS22 » Mar 27th, '13, 22:10

Chip wrote:Shincha, unless you are buying shincha versions of Gyokuro or Kabuse will be grown in the full sun right up to harvest. Shincha simply means "new harvest."

Which vendor sells shincha gyo? I would love to try that.
JRS22

Postby Chip » Mar 27th, '13, 22:21

Oh wow, Kame is 26.50! I love the declining Yen! However, it seems to me that anyone selling Japanese tea in USD should begin lowering their prices! If for no other reason than to remain competitive as vendors selling in Yen have without lowering their Yen price, have significantly decreased their USD cost to consumers in the USA. :idea: :!: :arrow:

Well, I recall Maiko sells Shincha Gyokuro. I never tried it ... it seems to me that the shading and the aging are what makes Gyokuro special. So, I am not sure what to make about Shincha Gyokuro. But as I have said, I never tried it. I believe Maiko releases a special edition shincha gyokuro ... and not a Yamashita edition ... but I could be wrong.

Oh wow, a double wabbit twail. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby JRS22 » Mar 27th, '13, 23:56

Chip wrote:Oh wow, Kame is 26.50! I love the declining Yen! However, it seems to me that anyone selling Japanese tea in USD should begin lowering their prices! If for no other reason than to remain competitive as vendors selling in Yen have without lowering their Yen price, have significantly decreased their USD cost to consumers in the USA. :idea: :!: :arrow:

Well, I recall Maiko sells Shincha Gyokuro. I never tried it ... it seems to me that the shading and the aging are what makes Gyokuro special. So, I am not sure what to make about Shincha Gyokuro. But as I have said, I never tried it. I believe Maiko releases a special edition shincha gyokuro ... and not a Yamashita edition ... but I could be wrong.

Oh wow, a double wabbit twail. :mrgreen:

I think O-Cha sets prices in yen and the exchange rate is applied at the time of purchase. Hibiki-An sent out an email announcing new lower USD prices to reflect the change in exchange rates. Unfortunately I think I bought the karigane tasting set after the rate changed and before Hibiki-An applied it. Oh well.

As for shincha gyokuro, I'll look for information about it but I won't get excited about the prospect.
JRS22

Postby victoria3 » Mar 28th, '13, 01:27

Chip wrote:?.....Well, I recall Maiko sells Shincha Gyokuro. I never tried it ... it seems to me that the shading and the aging are what makes Gyokuro special. So, I am not sure what to make about Shincha Gyokuro. But as I have said, I never tried it. I believe Maiko releases a special edition shincha gyokuro ... and not a Yamashita edition ... but I could be wrong.

Right, my understanding is that Gyokuro gets its smooth sweetness from being shaded and from post harvest aging. First flush Sinchas have a grassy freshness that I love but might also have more bitterness. From Hojotea talking about hay shaded Hon Gyokuro processing http://hojotea.com/item_e/g04e.htm;
"Maturing: Unlike the Sencha process, Gyokuro is not introduced to the market during spring right after its production. It will be kept for a few months from autumn to winter in order to get tea leaves well matured which will make it taste very mellow and sweet."
victoria3

Postby Stentor » Mar 29th, '13, 06:19

GreenwoodStudio wrote:Made myself a small Shib especially for this

OK, you win! :mrgreen:
This is so awesome! :)
Stentor

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions