Mar 31st, '13, 04:35

Yixing metal filters, experiences and advice?

by thanks » Mar 31st, '13, 04:35

I have a few of these sitting around, but have never actually had a use for them. I have one single hole yixing pot that is 40ml, and therefore too small for these to fit. I just ordered an 80ml single hole zini pot so I'm thinking I might use one of these filters on it and I'm wondering about a few things.

On the instructions (well the small picture on the plastic packaging) it seems that you just slide the two metal prongs into the spout from the inside of the pot. Is that all it takes? How well do these things hold in the spout, and are they prone to rusting? Do you take yours out in between uses? Do they scratch yixing?

For clarification, I'm talking about those small metal colanders with one metal rod bent through in a v shape. I searched the forums, but didn't find anything pertaining to these questions.

Mar 31st, '13, 05:11

Re: Yixing metal filters, experiences and advice?

by theredbaron » Mar 31st, '13, 05:11

thanks wrote:Do you take yours out in between uses? Do they scratch yixing?
Don't like them. And yes, they can scratch the insides of your pot.

I prefer anyhow single hole - quicker pouring, and when stuffed a small push with the pinching tool will free the spout.

Mar 31st, '13, 08:09

by tingjunkie » Mar 31st, '13, 08:09

It never made sense to me to search out great clay and spend good money, only to have your tea ultimately pass through a 5 cent piece of metal. I think the effect on taste is minimal, probably not even noticeable to most of us, but it just doesn't sit right with me.

Mar 31st, '13, 11:21

by Teaism » Mar 31st, '13, 11:21

thanks wrote:I have a few of these sitting around, but have never actually had a use for them. I have one single hole yixing pot that is 40ml, and therefore too small for these to fit. I just ordered an 80ml single hole zini pot so I'm thinking I might use one of these filters on it and I'm wondering about a few things.

On the instructions (well the small picture on the plastic packaging) it seems that you just slide the two metal prongs into the spout from the inside of the pot. Is that all it takes? How well do these things hold in the spout, and are they prone to rusting? Do you take yours out in between uses? Do they scratch yixing?

For clarification, I'm talking about those small metal colanders with one metal rod bent through in a v shape. I searched the forums, but didn't find anything pertaining to these questions.

You can go around the problem of clogging and fixing a filters on single hole pot by doing the Chaozhou style. One of the way is to arrange the larger( whole leaves) in front next to the single hole. To separate the larger and smaller leaves, fold a paper in diamond shape and push the 4 sides up. The larger leaves will be on top. Slowly transfer the top leaves to the front of the pot. and the smaller leaves to the back.
That way you will prevent clogging of single hole and do away with the metal filter. I also find by arranging the tea leaves this way, the tea taste much better.

Chaozhou style solution!

Mar 31st, '13, 21:30

by thanks » Mar 31st, '13, 21:30

Thanks everyone for the tips. Scratching yixing is a deal breaker. I don't really have too much of a problem with clogging in my 40ml pot, but that thing is tiny so I wasn't sure about 80ml.
Teaism wrote:
You can go around the problem of clogging and fixing a filters on single hole pot by doing the Chaozhou style. One of the way is to arrange the larger( whole leaves) in front next to the single hole. To separate the larger and smaller leaves, fold a paper in diamond shape and push the 4 sides up. The larger leaves will be on top. Slowly transfer the top leaves to the front of the pot. and the smaller leaves to the back.
That way you will prevent clogging of single hole and do away with the metal filter. I also find by arranging the tea leaves this way, the tea taste much better.

Chaozhou style solution!
This is a great tip! Will try this out after it comes in.

Mar 31st, '13, 23:11

by bagua7 » Mar 31st, '13, 23:11

tingjunkie wrote:It never made sense to me to search out great clay and spend good money, only to have your tea ultimately pass through a 5 cent piece of metal.
+1 You can't get more common sense than this.

Spend 10 grand in a pot and put a stinky 5¢ metal filter to mess up with the Qi of your loyal "friend." Nah!

+ Post Reply