The Old Teabag!

For general/other topics related to tea.

Apr 1st, '13, 11:14

The Old Teabag!

by ginkoftw » Apr 1st, '13, 11:14

Hello Tea Lovers,

Just a quick question. I am a tea drinker, but i currently only drink from the standard earl grey teabag, i drink about 7 cups a day with milk. I was just wondering if it is unhealthy to drink this much tea in one day?

I also buy from a compant called Graze, a little healthy shop online where you can order a box of healthy snacks per week, and one of their items is a tea infusion of Assam, Kenyan and Earl Grey tea leaves that dont require milk. Would this option be healthier?

Thank you!

Apr 1st, '13, 11:17

Re: The Old Teabag!

by yalokinh » Apr 1st, '13, 11:17

hey, i'm by no means an expert in anything related to this.
but I think the thing that adds up is the creamer and sugar.
Don't think the tea has any negative effect

Apr 1st, '13, 11:55

by ginkoftw » Apr 1st, '13, 11:55

Yeah i was thinking the milk would be the killer! Its just i get headaches after about 8 cups of tea, and i was wondering if the shop bought standard tea is unhealthy compared to the more natural loose tea's?

Thank the reply :)

Apr 1st, '13, 12:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 1st, '13, 12:14

You would likely be better off buying loose leaf tea ... you can then do multiple infusions from the same tea.

Drinking 7-8 teabags of crappy tea may be contributing to your symptoms ... hard to say. You should try some alternative methodology if your current one is giving you headaches :!: :idea: :arrow:

Apr 2nd, '13, 20:09

by Hannah » Apr 2nd, '13, 20:09

Some teabags in large (and I mean LARGE) amounts a day can have some negative effects due to the lack of care in their production, use of pesticides, cheap bag material etc. Even expensive bagged tea is pretty ordinary..

Since I switched to quality loose leaf (read: whole leaves, not just loose boxed dust from the same brand) my tea headaches stopped!

Also, once I went to whole leaves, I no longer needed sugar or milk! And I used to have up to 3 sugars! Insane! This is because whole leaf tea isn't nearly as bitter as tea dust found in bags and has way more of the delicate flavours! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Just my 2 cents!

Apr 3rd, '13, 09:40

by ginkoftw » Apr 3rd, '13, 09:40

I think you have convinced me to use loose tea leaves! I am starting a diet also, so haveing milk and sugar is a no go. Funny enough i have been looking for some suppliers of Assam and Earl Grey blends. Would you be able to recommened any places you buy from? :)

Apr 3rd, '13, 11:38

by beforewisdom » Apr 3rd, '13, 11:38

ginkoftw wrote: Just a quick question. I am a tea drinker, but i currently only drink from the standard earl grey teabag, i drink about 7 cups a day with milk. I was just wondering if it is unhealthy to drink this much tea in one day?
The maximum ( maximum, not optimum ) safe amount of caffeine is about 300 mg.

I'm not an expert, but I would bet that varies by a person's size, genetics and habits.

It is estimated that roughly 60% of the global adult population can't digest cow's milk, and many more people have a milder intolerance without knowing about it.

Teavanna often puts things besides tea in their tea and this is certainly the case with many supermarket teas.

Apr 3rd, '13, 14:06

by Devoted135 » Apr 3rd, '13, 14:06

ginkoftw wrote:I think you have convinced me to use loose tea leaves! I am starting a diet also, so haveing milk and sugar is a no go. Funny enough i have been looking for some suppliers of Assam and Earl Grey blends. Would you be able to recommened any places you buy from? :)
I buy almost all of my black teas from Adagio. They have great blends as well as good quality non-blended teas. :)

Apr 4th, '13, 13:25

by ginkoftw » Apr 4th, '13, 13:25

Thank you guys for your comments!

Devoted135, i just looked at the site and made an order for my favourite assam tea! And im deffinatly not useing milk or sugar again if i like them :)

Apr 4th, '13, 22:00

by Hannah » Apr 4th, '13, 22:00

Awesome!!! :D Enjoy your new tea journey!!

OH and remember!!! Quality whole leaf black tea will be nowhere near as dark as bagged tea when brewed! (in my experience anyway!)

Don't be fooled into oversteeping because of the weaker colour! Otherwise you'd be tempted to dull the bitterness out with sugar and milk.
Have a play with different strengths and see how you go! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Apr 9th, '13, 08:41

by ginkoftw » Apr 9th, '13, 08:41

Got my tea leaves from the website you suggested and did some experimenting and came up with a Assam and Earl grey blend, they are lovely compared to Tetely Tea! :P

Apr 9th, '13, 08:44

by Devoted135 » Apr 9th, '13, 08:44

ginkoftw wrote:Got my tea leaves from the website you suggested and did some experimenting and came up with a Assam and Earl grey blend, they are lovely compared to Tetely Tea! :P
I'm so glad that you like them! That's a beautiful tea set too, I love the artwork. :D

+ Post Reply